Which would you do re: Enchanted Princess?

DrivesLikeMario

I was booked on Sky for September.  It was cancelled a while ago.  I really dont see anything out of NYC area this year. Interested in Broadway. My sister and I have tickets to Music Man with Hugh Jackman for first week in December. I'm really unsure of that happening. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pmorton3360 said:

I was booked on Sky for September.  It was cancelled a while ago.  I really dont see anything out of NYC area this year. Interested in Broadway. My sister and I have tickets to Music Man with Hugh Jackman for first week in December. I'm really unsure of that happening. 

My son and I have tickets to “Music Man” with Hugh Jackman the first week of October.  I am very sad that we won’t be going.  Even if Broadway opens up, we will not be traveling to NYC this year.  I have heard rumors that Broadway might be dark until January, 2021.   Sad times.  

I really don't know what will happen with the Enchanted Princess, but doubt the 2021 sailings will go as scheduled.  We were booked on February 6th 2021, but have cancelled.  We have decided not to cruise in 2021, but will revisit cruising in 2022.  Good luck to everyone who continues to cruise and stay safe. 

2 hours ago, Tyme2Cruise said:

I really don't know what will happen with the Enchanted Princess, but doubt the 2021 sailings will go as scheduled.  We were booked on February 6th 2021, but have cancelled.  We have decided not to cruise in 2021, but will revisit cruising in 2022.  Good luck to everyone who continues to cruise and stay safe. 

Good comment.  Anyone who believe that any current (pre-Covid19) schedule still applies or will be even close to viable once "cruising" restarts is just whistling into the wind.  Even getting 2 or 3 ships back up to speed will be a major undertaking needing new crews, new ports that cruise tourists tourists (few and far between), and new procedures onboard to certify that "social distancing" is being accomplished.  Then you have the recertifications that the ship is COVID-19 free even to disembark in the US.   

On 5/10/2020 at 5:00 PM, DrivesLikeMario said:

2 reasons: 
1 - the ship is still being built (or will be finished once they allow people back to work in Italy) and
2- they cancelled the trans-Atlantic cruise

It makes me think they'll maybe:
a.)  keep the ship in Europe once it's completed or
b.)  send it over to FLL many months later when it's finished. 

Thoughts?

First of all, you have to think that the ship was virtually completed since it was only recently the TA was cancelled and the shipyard was only closed for a short period of time. Fincantieri has just opened back up with production which gives them plenty of time to complete if needed.  

My guess, and I'm hoping I'm correct, is that the ship will continue its prep and start bringing crew aboard under a proper quarantine period and then bring the ship to Port Everglades on or before November 21.  That date would be her inaugural voyage and one that we booked months ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grego said:

First of all, you have to think that the ship was virtually completed since it was only recently the TA was cancelled and the shipyard was only closed for a short period of time. Fincantieri has just opened back up with production which gives them plenty of time to complete if needed.  

My guess, and I'm hoping I'm correct, is that the ship will continue its prep and start bringing crew aboard under a proper quarantine period and then bring the ship to Port Everglades on or before November 21.  That date would be her inaugural voyage and one that we booked months ago.

Hope your crystal ball works, booked on Nov. 28th sailing

On 5/12/2020 at 4:04 PM, tntornadox said:

Enchanted was due to depart on her sea trials the week the shipyard closed. So the vessel is at least at that later stage of construction. Her transponder was even turned on for the event (just look it up on Marine Traffic). At that time, there was about three months between her sea trials and her handover to Princess.

Fincantieri began reopening April 22 and expect to be back at full staffing by mid-late May from all reports. Enchanted's first cruises are now slated to be out of Fort Lauderdale in November. They have approximately six months to finish a ship that was only three months away from being delivered before. I'd say she will be out on time for her Maiden Caribbean season. Her TA was likely cancelled due to the uncertainty of international air travel. I highly doubt they'd consider leaving her in Europe, it seems the countries there aren't keen on reopening ports yet.

Ultimately, given the fact they've already had to cancel her maiden voyage and maiden European season, I am sure Princess has been given assurances by Fincantieri they will be able to deliver or else they would've cancelled more sailings than they did.

All supposition.  Try some facts:

- Expense of finishing the ship.  CCL doesn't have the cash available.

- No crew - even the navigation crew has to be reassembled.  Where is the hotel/food service crews coming from?

- Significantly cheaper to keep her moored.

- Need to get the rest of the fleet back into operation first.

- No permission from CDC to cruise out of a US port.

- No idea on how to operate a cruise ship with social distancing.

Just a few to start with.

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

All supposition.  Try some facts:

- Expense of finishing the ship.  CCL doesn't have the cash available.

- No crew - even the navigation crew has to be reassembled.  Where is the hotel/food service crews coming from?

- Significantly cheaper to keep her moored.

- Need to get the rest of the fleet back into operation first.

- No permission from CDC to cruise out of a US port.

- No idea on how to operate a cruise ship with social distancing.

Just a few to start with.

So you call my facts supposition then provide some of your own to counter? Bear in mind Enchanted isn't due to arrive until November.

Do you honestly believe Princess can simply tell Fincantieri "We're not taking it"? CCL has already provided the capital to complete the ship, likely some time ago, they don't pay for these things as they go. It was built into a capital plan likely put into motion a couple of years ago at this point. Even if not taking delivery was contractually possible what would the shipyard do with a completed ship? They will take delivery of the new ship because she's heading to one of the few operating regions they will have by then- the Caribbean. St. Thomas is opening to tourists on June 1 with most of the other islands with plans to follow shortly thereafter.

They won't restart their whole fleet at first, it will be only the vessels set to serve the regions that are open. I'm sure staffing won't be an issue considering they only need to staff a few ships out of their entire fleet.

Now, to your last two points. The CDC no sail order expires (July 24th) way before Enchanted reaches our shores. Carnival Cruise Line is set to resume sailing in August, so I am sure the corporation is well aware of what needs to be done regarding social distancing and such, they've had to have already been having these conversations and making plans to appease the CDC.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tntornadox said:

o you honestly believe Princess can simply tell Fincantieri "We're not taking it"? CCL has already provided the capital to complete the ship, likely some time ago, they don't pay for these things as they go.

Doh ! Do you ...

kinda sorta - CCL prolly had to put up a large deposit - then maybe a bond of some kind for the remainder

as certain parts of the construction are completed, "F" would submit for a draw request, and CCL would release additional funds, but also holdback a 'retainage' amount for each of those draws to be released upon completion and transfer of the ship to CCL / Princess

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Doh ! Do you ...

kinda sorta - CCL prolly had to put up a large deposit - then maybe a bond of some kind for the remainder

as certain parts of the construction are completed, "F" would submit for a draw request, and CCL would release additional funds, but also holdback a 'retainage' amount for each of those draws to be released upon completion and transfer of the ship to CCL / Princess

In essence, I doubt any of us truly know. I just know in conventional land construction large companies have committed capital plans years in advance. So construction at present isn't coming out of their bottom line. I would've presumed it was the same way in shipbuilding? I know they take on the debt of the new vessels when they're ordered.

Edited by tntornadox

The only certain thing about everyone being home sheltered is that we have too much time on our hands to issue comments and theories without any facts to back them up.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, tntornadox said:

In essence, I doubt any of us truly know. I just know in conventional land construction large companies have committed capital plans years in advance. So construction at present isn't coming out of their bottom line. I would've presumed it was the same way in shipbuilding? I know they take on the debt of the new vessels when they're ordered.

Thanks for your recent posts.  You are reiterating what I have been saying on this and other threads.  My thinking is that Princess is taking a prudent and cautious approach to working their way back into the flow. 

The Enchanted was virtually completed leaving the ship trials and final touches before sailing.  With the issues still going on in Europe there wasn't a viable way for them to fill the ship with passengers that potentially might still be contagious.  What made better sense would be to start filling the ship with the crew and have them go through the quarantine process for safe arrival in Florida.

Florida was destined to be the work area for the Enchanted as the other Royal Class ships were moved to other venues for the winter season.  The Caribbean will be ready and needing to be open for this season and makes perfect sense to get the Enchanted here to work with the Caribbean Princess to fill the need.

Of course, we have a vested interest to have the Enchanted sail on November 21st as this is the voyage we booked months ago to be part of a birthday celebration.  If it is still a go.....this will be her maiden voyage!

Edited by Grego
typo

8 hours ago, Grego said:

The only certain thing about everyone being home sheltered is that we have too much time on our hands to issue comments and theories without any facts to back them up.

I am pretty easy going on the situation going forward with Princess and cruising. I am rebooked from my Regal cruise this past April, to the Enchanted in January 2021. Also have Panama Canal booked for Feb. What I wish was that Princess would make some sort of statement on what is expected with the Enchanted, even if it is a "best guess". We have not been informed of a projected timeline, of whether it is a go or not, whether it will sail this year or next year, or the posiblity of of not taking ownership. In our heads, we just make our own stories! Just give us some kind of information!! I am able to roll with punches, but when you have a few thousand dollars invested, I would like to have some idea what my money is going for! 

I don't need to know details that are carved in stone. (not realistic these days) Just some indication of what the goal here is for the Enchanted. It would just be helpful for me.

Janet

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sun&sea said:

What I wish was that Princess would make some sort of statement on what is expected with the Enchanted, even if it is a "best guess".

Enchanted Princess

Revised Delivery: August at the earliest

Details: On April 15, Princess Cruises announced it was delaying the inaugural sailing of Enchanted Princess, which was scheduled to debut on June 30 with a naming ceremony in Southampton, England. Work on the vessel has been delayed due to the shutdown in work at Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri where Enchanted Princess is currently in the final stages of fitting-out.

Princess stated the ship will now debut in August at the earliest. Voyages on the vessel through July 31, 2020 have since been cancelled.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Enchanted Princess

Revised Delivery: August at the earliest

Details: On April 15, Princess Cruises announced it was delaying the inaugural sailing of Enchanted Princess, which was scheduled to debut on June 30 with a naming ceremony in Southampton, England. Work on the vessel has been delayed due to the shutdown in work at Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri where Enchanted Princess is currently in the final stages of fitting-out.

Princess stated the ship will now debut in August at the earliest. Voyages on the vessel through July 31, 2020 have since been cancelled.

The Enchanted sailings are canceled into November, so I don't think it will debut in August. 

• Like 1

It may be turned over to Princess and become part of the fleet earlier. They will then need time to shake it down and crew it up before passenger voyages.

Edited by Musky Ike

I'm booked on the Enchanted for April 2021. but I will cancel before final is due if I don't feel comfortable with the way things are going.  I cancelled my Sky Fall cruise right before final was due.

Listening to the business channel this a.m., it isn't a clear cut situation.  Ship may be finished but will cruising be wide open after the 1st of the year?  

Countries are doing their own individual things in terms of opening up again at this point.  It isn't a simple, o.k. let's do it, so much is involved.  No one knows and it will be a logistical nightmare to figure out.

• Like 1

We rebooked our canceled April, 2020, on Regal to Enchanted in December.  7 of us in 3 mini-suites.  First cruise for 4 of us.  Looks like it will touch and go but it's a bit early to cancel/change.  BTW, in making changes on Princess, Celebrity and Royal during this period I have to give the Princess reps the highest marks.  Friendly, knowledgeable, efficient - and we were never on hold more than 2 minutes.

Looking forward to our first cruise on Princess.  Our Enchanted cruise is on 1/9/21.  I'm just hoping at this point that things start to turn around this fall and there isn't a second round of this nonsense that knocks out my first Princess cruise on their newest ship.  Just had another price drop and after missing out on cruises in June and August it would be a bitter pill to swallow if January falls through.