Stranded Crew Members

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/

An article on this site describes the situation with tens of thousands of crew members trapped on cruise ships for over two months.  When this story makes it to the mainstream media the cruise industry will have a serious problem recovering from this terrible news.  Crew member "apparently" jumping to his death?  CEO's not willing to spend to charter an aircraft to get them home?  Protests among crew members?  The Miami Herald ran the story "Thousands of Crew Members Still Out to Sea" in today's, 17 May, edition.  This is not good for future cruising. 

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Old news and not worth the effort to mount much of a reply. 
It’s a crappy situation, but everyone is doing the best they can 

Well, first of all, its not "old news."  It happened on FRIDAY.

And if everyone is doing "the best they can" why would there be such a protest?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Candocruises said:

CEO's not willing to spend to charter an aircraft to get them home? 

A 747 charter has been running every 3 days from Bridgetown for the past week and is scheduled to do so for the next month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

Well, first of all, its not "old news."  It happened on FRIDAY.

And if everyone is doing "the best they can" why would there be such a protest?

It is OLD news, just because you first read about it yesterday doesn't make it "new news", crew repatriation has been a hot topic for several weeks.

"Why the protest?" I assume due to some frustrated crew members that do not realize the international political hoops that need to be jumped through to move thousands o people across international borders that are CLOSED

• Like 4

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

It is OLD news, just because you first read about it yesterday doesn't make it "new news", crew repatriation has been a hot topic for several weeks.

"Why the protest?" I assume due to some frustrated crew members that do not realize the international political hoops that need to be jumped through to move thousands o people across international borders that are CLOSED

Repeat after me.

The protest happened on Friday, May 15th.  The protest happened....

THIS is the new news. 

I would love to have your prescience that knew of the protest before it happened. 

And my guess is that these crew members are FULLY cognizant of the "political hoops" since they have been living it for months as opposed to commenting on a message board. 

And I am fully aware of crew repatriation efforts.  We experienced it first hand in February and March rather than on the news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Repeat after me.

THIS is the new news. 

I would love to have your prescience that knew of the protest before it happened. 

And my guess is that these crew members are FULLY cognizant of the "political hoops" since they have been living it for months as opposed to commenting on a message board. 

And I am fully aware of crew repatriation efforts.  We experienced it first hand in February and March rather than on the news.

OK buddy, whatever you say

• Like 1

Most cruise lines are putting the crew in cabins by themselves. No two to a cabin. No cramped tiny two to a cabin. Now if they are used to being on a ship for several months at a time. Why is there a problem? They maintain the ship which requires constant maintenance, I am sure they eat well, they have a nice cabin that they usually would never have. Other than doing some work. I do not see any problems. Maybe those that have been stuck on a ship way past there regular contract. I am sure the cruise lines are taking good car of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Please find a reliable source for this information. The website you cited is run by an "ambulance chaser" lawyer.

The source of this story is irrelevant once it makes its way to the mainstream media.  The Story in today's  Miami Herald may very well be picked up by others and with the less than favorable spotlight that has been on the cruise industry since before Covid much less since the constant pictures of the Ruby Princess in Japan, the industry has a tough road ahead to remain solvent.  Those of us who frequent this board are predominately folks who love cruising and want it to flourish again, however if the industry cannot attract new cruisers and those new to cruising they will have a difficult time returning to profitability.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Repeat after me.

THIS is the new news. 

Are their protests by crew members on any other cruise line, or just Royal?

Just now, Snit13 said:

Are their protests by crew members on any other cruise line, or just Royal?

That is the only one that has been mentioned but it only happened the day before yesterday so who knows?

Difficult situation for everyone involved.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Most cruise lines are putting the crew in cabins by themselves. No two to a cabin. No cramped tiny two to a cabin. Now if they are used to being on a ship for several months at a time. Why is there a problem? They maintain the ship which requires constant maintenance, I am sure they eat well, they have a nice cabin that they usually would never have. Other than doing some work. I do not see any problems. Maybe those that have been stuck on a ship way past there regular contract. I am sure the cruise lines are taking good car of them.

I have a friend who is a stranded crew member.  I think he understands the situation and is not angry.  What he does feel is homesick.  He wants to see his wife and children.  His family, (brother) is doing everything  he can to help them out. My friend is not getting paid.  He does get internet to call when he needs cheering up.  We met him on a ship.  He was our cabin attendant and we have remained friends.  He has now been almost a year without his family and that is very hard.  His contract has been over since this happened.  My husband says he will help him if we need to.  This has been a difficult situation for so many people.

In this morning news paper it covered this. They listed all the rules and stipulations that the cruise industry must follow to send those crew members home. There are many. I really did not realize how many there are. It is unbelievable. According to the industry the rules are constantly changing also. Not only does the US have major rules but every country the crew members are from have different rules to follow. Plus they all must be quarantined 14 days after returning home. The cruise industry is responsible that the rules will be followed till the 14 days pass. Otherwise they will be fined and held liable. How do they do that? According to the industry, All the ships right now have no one with the virus on board.

Ships that will no longer be in service, all those crew members are of of those ships. They are doing everything possible to get those crew members home. Indicating they want them home and off of the ships also. I certainly can understant that.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

So you are an ex crew member? That explains why you are so touchy, I guess 

No. I was a passenger watching the effect that it had on the crew, and this was long before we arrived at the current situation.

And yes, I guess I am touchy.

And I guess that makes you unfeeling, then if you want to try a feeble slam at me.

• Like 1

Like most things in life, the truth usually falls somewhere in the middle.

Are the cruise lines doing many things trying to get the crew home?  Definitely.  Are their hurdles they have to get over to get that done?  Without a doubt.  Is it enough?  Only the final analysis will determine that.

Are these crew in a really difficult situation (especially those whose contracts expired weeks or months ago) you better believe it.  Are they frustrated?  This protest and the suicides give that indication clearly.

But my sympathies, when all is said and done, will lie with the wonderful men and women we've met on ships in the past, rather than corporate executives in offices (or their expensive homes) fiddling with the pieces.

• Like 2

Just listened from a senior officer from a Carnival ship in Barcelona. The received permission to send US citizens home on a commercial flight. problem. No commercial flights to the US. So far no charter air flights available either. The ship is anchored out. However they are able to get rid of the trash and get food and water for the ship. They are hoping that the US government will let them sail to a US port so the US citizens can get home. All crew members.

49 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

No. I was a passenger watching the effect that it had on the crew, and this was long before we arrived at the current situation.

And yes, I guess I am touchy.

And I guess that makes you unfeeling, then if you want to try a feeble slam at me.

No, not unfeeling, but realistic. i have no desire to argue with you.  I spent the first 20 years of my professional life in the US military medical corps, now In the civilian sector. I (as well as many others) have experienced hardships, uncertainty, and open ended assignments. 
I believe everything possible is being done in a difficult situation. 
Staging a protest doesn’t help anyone, and may possibly make matters worse. 
Be grateful you have housing, food, clean water, healthcare....... When it’s possible to get you home, it will happen.  

The Miami Herald doesn't even reach my bird cage and they are typically very late to the game.

I've learned most about this situation from crew posting videos to YouTube.  Yes, they're frustrated but their situation is far from dire.  

• Like 1