More cancellations

I don't think that anyone is surprised.  The upside of this announcement is that people with cruises between June 12 and July 31 can now apply for full refunds, instead of defaulting to FCC, if they desire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Ugh....not looking good for Alaska on Aug 2 then.........but now we have to wait another month or more to find out it seems

Never was......what are you thinking?  Princess, Holland America already pulled all their sailing for the summer of 2020 to Alaska, what makes thing you think RCL would do any different?

Edited by Jimbo

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Never was......what are you thinking?

Thinking I can't

1. Cancel any hotel reservations

2. Alter my air fare bookings

Until I get formal cancel from Royal for Alaska on Aug 2.

So stuck in a terminal pattern for longer while other lines have bagged it formally.

The state itself is saying they will open on Friday this week.

The border between CA and US is officially closed for non-essential travel now through mid July

Vancouver, BC has not made any formal announcement about their opening timeline for cruise ships/non-essential travel

Obviously I do still want to go ;)....but I have also made arrangements (plan for the worst, hope for the best right 😉 ).....I fronted a 1k deposit for a sailing same time in 2021 with the room I want so that I won't lose it when I need to do a lift and shirt as well as cancelled all my cruise planner items for this year to get a faster refund...and plan to rebuy if we do sail......but the ambiguity is what is killing me....and many many many many others.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dodgestang said:

Thinking I can't

So stuck in a terminal pattern for longer while other lines have bagged it formally.

The border between CA and US is officially closed for non-essential travel now through mid July

Vancouver, BC has not made any formal announcement about their opening timeline for cruise ships/non-essential travel

Obviously I do still want to go ;)....but I have also made arrangements (plan for the worst, hope for the best right 😉 ).....I fronted a 1k deposit for a sailing same time in 2021 with the room I want so that I won't lose it when I need to do a lift and shirt as well as cancelled all my cruise planner items for this year to get a faster refund...and plan to rebuy if we do sail......but the ambiguity is what is killing me....and many many many many others.

Why can't you do those things? Your cruise is not happening. You just have to wait for them to formally cancel the cruise, then you can request a full refund. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Thinking I can't

You can move the 2020 booking right now to the 2021 booking, not price protected but you can move your money to it right now, and the $100 per person change fee is waived. There was no need to lay out another $1000 for that deposit.

Just now, kwokpot said:

Why can't you do those things? Your cruise is not happening. You just have to wait for them to formally cancel the cruise, then you can request a full refund. 

I can not cancel my hotel and change my flights until the cruise is formally cancelled.

As for the cruise itself...like I said...I cancelled all the cruise planner items.....and I plan to move the cruise to 2021...but only if it is cancelled.

• Like 2

Just now, dodgestang said:

I can not cancel my hotel and change my flights until the cruise is formally cancelled.

As for the cruise itself...like I said...I cancelled all the cruise planner items.....and I plan to move the cruise to 2021...but only if it is cancelled.

I don't understand why you can't cancel the hotel?

5 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Thinking I can't

It’s called keep the cash flow coming. Cancel after final payment. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jimbo said:

You can move the 2020 booking right now to the 2021 booking, not price protected but you can move your money to it right now, and the $100 per person change fee is waived. There was no need to lay out another $1000 for that deposit.

Seem to be missing the key point in the decision process......if the cruise isn't cancelled...we are sailing ;).

So I can't lift/shift because it is not cancelled.

I fronted the room reservation on a fully refundable...we are/were sailing in the RS which there is only 1 of on every boat....so I reserved the room in case.  If 2020 gets cancelled, I will shift into 2021 and cancel place holder.  If 2020 sails.....later on we can decided if we will go again in 2021 or not so the depo approach seemed like the best option,

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

I don't understand why you can't cancel the hotel?

Because if I cancel the hotel.....and then sail....I need to get a room again.....which may or may not be available....which may or may not be the same great price I reserved at.

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It’s called keep the cash flow coming. Cancel after final payment. 

Yeah.....fully expected that.......final payment has already passed....so everyone on the Aug 2 sailing is committed.....but......the rest of the month hasn't based final payment......so yeah.  😞

We're currently booked for Nov 1 and 8 on Harmony.  I fully expect cancellation of those too, but my issue is the way they time them out to happen after final payment is due.  We got refunds for our May cruises, which of course were cancelled after final payment. We don't want a FCC.   After Nov, we're booked on Freedom in May 2021, which stands a much better chance of going.  

1 minute ago, dodgestang said:

Because if I cancel the hotel.....and then sail....I need to get a room again.....which may or may not be available....which may or may not be the same great price I reserved at.

There is no way you will be sailing to Alaska on Aug 2. No need to worry about getting a room last minute.

• Like 3

Well no surprise there, at this point the absolute worst thing that could happen would be another cruise with a coronavirus outbreak. Until the cruise lines are 100% sure they can prevent that from happening not sailing is in their best interest IMO.

4 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

You would have no issue re booking at hotel room, no one is going to Alaska...........be loads of rooms up there at short notice.

• Like 1