Cruising for Millenials

Hey all, 

I am trying to convince my friends (aged 25, like me) to take a cruise to Hawaii. They have the usual millennial concerns of not finding too many others onboard of our age or not having activities we consider entertaining (EDM Music, Parties/Bars etc.) available on board. Is there a particular Cruise experience you recommend that meets these requirements?

Regards,

K

Hey all, 

I am trying to convince my friends (aged 25, like me) to take a cruise to Hawaii. They have the usual millennial concerns of not finding too many others onboard of our age or not having activities we consider entertaining (EDM Music, Parties/Bars etc.) available on board. Is there a particular Cruise experience you recommend that meets these requirements?

Regards,
K

I don’t know about Hawaii, but there are EDM theme cruises. Also look into Virgin Voyages, which is marketed towards millennials.
  • Like 1

Most of the cruises for Hawaii that sale from California will attract an older crowd due to the length. You might want to look at the POA from Norwegian as it does a 7 day in Hawaii. 

But, keep in mind that with the current pandemic, options will be extremely limited.

There are always a ton of bars, and a cruise is always what you make it.  There are a ton of activities that are stupid fun throughout the day.  Random mini golf, belly flop contests, martini making....and stuff like that.  Do a little research of what you want and then when you find a ship/itinerary, look up their daily handout thing with all the activities from past cruises to show them.   I started consistently cruising in my early 20s, and love it!  Having too many cocktails and playing trivia is one of my favorite things!

• Like 1

Here's the deal...if you've BEEN to Hawaii, and just want to cruise about...Pride of America will do that.  If you are cruising from Ca....you are wasting MAJOR time with sea days across the Pacific.  Depending on the ship, the "sea day" activities will vary, but  you will be on an older ship, without the "bells and whistles".  The Average age of cruisers on a trip lasting MORE than 7 days goes UP exponentially....working folks can't generally cruise for 10+ days....fact of life.  You will be with an older crowd....that doesn't mean they're "sedate"...just that they're older.

I think it's worth it to FLY to Hawaii, and experience the islands without a cruise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Here's the deal...if you've BEEN to Hawaii, and just want to cruise about...Pride of America will do that.  If you are cruising from Ca....you are wasting MAJOR time with sea days across the Pacific.  Depending on the ship, the "sea day" activities will vary, but  you will be on an older ship, without the "bells and whistles".  The Average age of cruisers on a trip lasting MORE than 7 days goes UP exponentially....working folks can't generally cruise for 10+ days....fact of life.  You will be with an older crowd....that doesn't mean they're "sedate"...just that they're older.

I think it's worth it to FLY to Hawaii, and experience the islands without a cruise. 

Not really reliable info...normal for this poster. For example, Holland America (which I doubt you would go on) is using their second newest ship on the West Coast-Hawaii routes this upcoming Fall-Winter season. It has the most modern entertainment venues in the Holland America fleet, although EDM is not a Holland America thing.

Liking or hating hating sea days is a totally personal preference...many of like them. You will make your own decisions...it's about what is right for you.

I would also recommend the Norwegian POA if you want to cruise Hawaii. I am a millennial (although we are on opposite ends of the Millennial category). There are 3 ways to cruise Hawaii - the Norwegian POA which is 7 days around the islands; a round trip from California, and a repositioning cruise from Canada or Australia. We did our Hawaii cruise on Celebrity with the repositioning cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver. I had a good time; but it's definately a slower pace than a cruise that did not include the sea days. 5 sea days in a row was a bit much for me. A round trip from California where you did those twice would definately not interest me. If you are into parties and night club scenes, I can't imagine you would enjoy a cruise with 5 sea days in a row - JMO. Also, those longer cruises do tend to attract an older crowd. I would look at the norwegian POA option. 

Edited by sanger727

Round trip from California probably gives 5 sea days each way (great if you like sea days) and at least four or five stops - meaning at least two weeks - meaning a generally older crowd on board.  A repositioning will mean five sea days one way (with necessity of flying back) and either spending time on one island or scheduling inter-island travel.

The POA hitting several islands entails round trip flight to Hawaii, with NCL on board experience - decent entertainment, lousy service - but probably least expensive overall.

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Round trip from California probably gives 5 sea days each way (great if you like sea days) and at least four or five stops - meaning at least two weeks - meaning a generally older crowd on board.  A repositioning will mean five sea days one way (with necessity of flying back) and either spending time on one island or scheduling inter-island travel.

The POA hitting several islands entails round trip flight to Hawaii, with NCL on board experience - decent entertainment, lousy service - but probably least expensive overall.

On 5/28/2020 at 2:15 AM, kmotwani150195 said:

Hey all, 

Regards,

Eliminating Hawaii, to fill your wants of Music, parties, and bars I would suggest looking into booking a B2B cruise. Two 3 day or a 3 and 4 day. Each cruise has to be booked separately. These cruises tend to appeal to people your age. Did one 4 day 16 years ago and it was a party atmosphere.

6 minutes ago, skrufy said:

Two three day cruises is a terrible idea - checking in twice, packing and debarking twice takes a big bite out of total experience.  Yes - more likely for noisy drinking crowds, but Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean all offer 7 day drink-fests - the Bahamas, Pacific coast of Mexico, etc. — have your pick.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The #1 money maker on a cruise ship is alcohol. It is the cruise line's business to keep you boozed up all day every day. There are bars every 50 feet in the public areas. Also, each ship has at least one "Disco" lounge for dancing and flashing lights. No matter what you choose should be fine, but some lines do skew to older crowds. Go with Carnival or NCL or Royal Caribbean.

Not sure of your (OP's) location.  If Hawaii isn't a deal breaker I suggest you take a look at Mexican Riviera cruises out of Los Angeles.  I think they would meet your goals (music, parties, bars, etc).  Also the port stops have great places that you might find appealing.  I know our kids, when in their 20's, enjoyed places like Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, etc.  

• 1 month later...

My friends and I ( ages 23-25) all love cruising together. We usually pick Caribbean itineraries and travel during spring/winter breaks. Theres usually more millennials and younger people on these than Hawaiian sailings which are usually a little more expensive. Most ports in the Caribbean have Margaritavilles or bars to drink and socialize at too. We made tons of friends our age on our last cruise. But as a lot of other replies state its really your mindset and what you make of it.