Inaugural Embarkations (first sailings after lockdown)

bosslaydee

18 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Interesting article regarding river cruise protocols on Nicko Cruises:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5376/

and again, like the NCL piece it fails to declare how it will respond to actual cases of COVID-19 on-board.

All it takes is for another Diamond Princess episode and cruising is dead in the water.

The elephant in the room has to be addressed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simmingdenise said:

I’m on the Magic for the August 1st sailing. It was a rebook from a canceled May 9th sailing. 
At the time I rebooked I didn’t imagine the shut down would go on this long. I’m not thrilled about being the test subjects for the return to cruising but I’m thankful I’m booked in a balcony on deck 11.

I sincerely hope masks will not be required of passengers. The rest of it I’ll just roll with whatever happens. I’m holding off on rebooking Cheers because it took 60 days to get the last one refunded and at this point Carnival has enough of my funds tied up. I have 4 cruises booked over the next 2 years and two are paid in full.

Since we’re a rebook we don’t fall under the Covid cancellation policy with Carnival and since we made a fee-free change to our AA air tickets once we can’t do another....so if she sails then we sail and just make the best of it.
If she cancels then we do a land trip to Miami and wing it.

Thank you! Okay, all that makes a ton of sense. That sucks that you cant cancel if you get cold feet though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

I just received an email this morning from NCL concerning changes to their safety protocols, which led me to this section on their web site:

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence?cheetahid=5000005432601&cid=EM_MKD_NA_PRO_EML_im_EML_PEACEOFMIND_SAFETY060220#safety

All of that is on cruise critic, along with other cruise lines

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5369/

10 hours ago, Noodles84 said:

I'm more worried about when I do resume cruising, will my yearly travel insurance still cover me if I do get ill? Nicole

In the UK, Any new insurance will cover your Medical bills and repatriation if you catch Covid-19 while on holiday as long as the destination is not any list of prohibited travel destinations when you travel. At the moment, the UK government has advised against all but essential travel abroad, but as things change, if it is not on the banned list, you will be covered.

They will not give any cancellation cover for Covid-19.

On 6/2/2020 at 11:53 AM, bosslaydee said:

I've only seen what cruise critic has put out.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5369/

Interesting, thanks for the link.  I was struck by the statement:

"These include mandatory touchless temperature screenings at embarkation, when returning to the ship, and before entering onboard events and dining venues."

and wondered what happens to people off of shore excursions who have elevated temps for any reason.

Edited by txjim09
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, txjim09 said:

Interesting, thanks for the link.  I was struck by the statement:

"These include mandatory touchless temperature screenings at embarkation, when returning to the ship, and before entering onboard events and dining venues."

and wondered what happens to people off of shore excursions who have elevated temps for any reason.

Oh that's a good point! I didn't even think about that. Maybe there is a cool down area, some ships offer water and fruit to returning passengers, even before the epidemic. Or maybe there will be a more detailed screening with questions so we can give any symptoms we're feeling (dizziness/light headedness, muscle pain/tenderness, sore throat, etc.); since high temperatures alone cannot give a definitive diagnosis.

Edited by bosslaydee

21 hours ago, simmingdenise said:

I’m on the Magic for the August 1st sailing. It was a rebook from a canceled May 9th sailing. 
At the time I rebooked I didn’t imagine the shut down would go on this long. I’m not thrilled about being the test subjects for the return to cruising but I’m thankful I’m booked in a balcony on deck 11.

I sincerely hope masks will not be required of passengers. The rest of it I’ll just roll with whatever happens. I’m holding off on rebooking Cheers because it took 60 days to get the last one refunded and at this point Carnival has enough of my funds tied up. I have 4 cruises booked over the next 2 years and two are paid in full.

Since we’re a rebook we don’t fall under the Covid cancellation policy with Carnival and since we made a fee-free change to our AA air tickets once we can’t do another....so if she sails then we sail and just make the best of it.
If she cancels then we do a land trip to Miami and wing it.

Thank you for being one of the few posters to actually answer the question posed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My family (2 adults, 1 adult child, 3 children) are booked on the Carnival Horizon August 8. 

We have rebooked 3x due to cancellations - originally out of NY on the Radiance July 20, switched to NY/Sunshine on August 8, then to Galveston/Vista on July 25... all canceled. We decided we'd take one last shot with the Horizon out of Miami... several reasons...

1. We plan to sail Carnival anyway, if not now then next summer, and the onboard incentive of $1200 was hard to ignore (we book 2 rooms, so we'd get $600 per room).

2. Chances are this is our only chance to book a mega-ship like Horizon because the prices are ridiculously low (even without the OBC). We usually have to book a smaller ship like the Pride. We did have one of the larger ships (Radiance) booked this summer because we had gotten a great price and decided to skip the expense of driving/staying over in Baltimore vs. cruising out of NY where we live. But the Horizon is usually way out of our price range plus it involves 6 flights to/from Miami so we normally wouldn't even look at it. 

3. Every time I suggested canceling, my husband reminds me everyone else wants to go, and if we do cancel and the ship goes out anyway, everyone will blame me. (This isn't really a reason, I know, but it's a consideration).  

At this point I feel like it's likely to be canceled by Carnival anyway. If it isn't,  I'll make the best of it. A bad day at sea is better than a good day at home anyway. 

23 hours ago, CorrieCJ said:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at home anyway. 

I'm not sure the passengers who spent 39 days quarantined on the Diamond Princess amidst growing COVID infection, or the 4 passengers on the Zaandam who died of the infection while onboard when no ports would let the ship dock and discharge ill passengers, would agree with your statement.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm not sure the passengers who spent 39 days quarantined on the Diamond Princess amidst growing COVID infection, or the 4 passengers on the Zaandam who died of the infection while onboard when no ports would let the ship dock and discharge ill passengers, would agree with your statement.

Good observation - I have often wondered how sadly unsatisfactory some peoples’ “good days at home” must be if they are capable of being outclassed by “bad days at sea”  (Costa Concordia, Andrea Doria, Titanic - all the way back to the Birkenhead - come to mind).

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Point taken. I didn't mean to make light of anything.  

7 minutes ago, CorrieCJ said:

Point taken. I didn't mean to make light of anything.  

I don’t feel you made light of anything. I think you made a conscious decision with your family, and were kind enough to tell us. Thank you. 
If the cruises sail, people are going to be on it. Why can’t it be you? Don’t feel bad about choosing a vacation that’s open to the public.

Edited by bosslaydee

1 hour ago, bosslaydee said:

I don’t feel you made light of anything. I think you made a conscious decision with your family, and were kind enough to tell us. Thank you. 
If the cruises sail, people are going to be on it. Why can’t it be you? Don’t feel bad about choosing a vacation that’s open to the public.

I don't think the criticism was about their decision it was more to do with the phrase "a bad day at sea is better than a good day at home". I see this phrase a lot in these threads and IMO it does kind of trivialise some of the really awful situations that have happened on cruises. A bad day is a bad day no matter the circumstances😕

29 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I don't think the criticism was about their decision it was more to do with the phrase "a bad day at sea is better than a good day at home". I see this phrase a lot in these threads and IMO it does kind of trivialise some of the really awful situations that have happened on cruises. A bad day is a bad day no matter the circumstances😕

But isn't that just your opinion? Maybe someone's worst time at sea (a cancelled show or excursion, sunburn after laying out in the sun all day) is better than their good days which could be spent alone with a book. Not a bad day but they rank a day at sea higher. I know i could, depending on the day at home. Which is a pretty blessed life that i think a lot of us have experienced. I've never had a TRULY horrible experience on a cruise but yes, others have. And some people have truly horrible home lives, it really varies from person to person.
It's also never that deep, it's just a silly saying which we all understand is just glorifying cruising. Which is the common denominator of these discussions. I think the jump to extreme illness was a bit much. Personally.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Come on folks, it is an expression not to be taken literally.  Like "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work".  Well, maybe that one should be taken literally, but you know what I mean.  Too much fussing & judging.  I think we must all be going a little stir crazy.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Come on folks, it is an expression not to be taken literally.  Like "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work".  Well, maybe that one should be taken literally, but you know what I mean.  Too much fussing & judging.  I think we must all be going a little stir crazy.  

I agree. Just because someone caught covid and died on a cruise ship or the Titanic sunk and people died doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be able to say you had a great time on a cruise ship or that cruises are a great way to vacation. It doesn’t take away from the tragedy they experienced.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bosslaydee said:

But isn't that just your opinion? Maybe someone's worst time at sea (a cancelled show or excursion, sunburn after laying out in the sun all day) is better than their good days which could be spent alone with a book. Not a bad day but they rank a day at sea higher. I know i could, depending on the day at home. Which is a pretty blessed life that i think a lot of us have experienced. I've never had a TRULY horrible experience on a cruise but yes, others have. And some people have truly horrible home lives, it really varies from person to person.
It's also never that deep, it's just a silly saying which we all understand is just glorifying cruising. Which is the common denominator of these discussions. I think the jump to extreme illness was a bit much. Personally.

It is just a silly expression.  Someone has to work pretty hard to take issue.   

• Like 2

The problem with wondering who and why they are taking the inaugural cruise is that at this point, no one booked in 2020 knows yet if they are taking the inaugural cruise.  Carnival announced they would be sailing in May - didn’t happen, then that they would be sailing in June - didn’t happen, now that they will be sailing in August - who knows. Someone who rebooked for October or November at this point could unintentionally end up on an inaugural cruise.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

The problem with wondering who and why they are taking the inaugural cruise is that at this point, no one booked in 2020 knows yet if they are taking the inaugural cruise.  Carnival announced they would be sailing in May - didn’t happen, then that they would be sailing in June - didn’t happen, now that they will be sailing in August - who knows. Someone who rebooked for October or November at this point could unintentionally end up on an inaugural cruise.

Oh that’s definitely true. Ports keep pushing back their reopen dates so that messes with a ton of itineraries. Here in Canada, I think our ports are closed for the entirety of the summer.

But regardless of actually going on it, I wanted to know why people chose to book or rebook for those first sailings. I was just interested in their thought process, it makes for good discussion. In my opinion.

Edited by bosslaydee

2 hours ago, bosslaydee said:

Oh that’s definitely true. Ports keep pushing back their reopen dates so that messes with a ton of itineraries. Here in Canada, I think our ports are closed for the entirety of the summer.

But regardless of actually going on it, I wanted to know why people chose to book or rebook for those first sailings. I was just interested in their thought process, it makes for good discussion. In my opinion.

From previous posts by folks who are booking those cruises, it seems some really want or even need to go (addiction perhaps?), and others really don't expect those cruises to go but want to wrack up OBCs for the future.

Edited by ontheweb

We believe that covid is far from over.   The most recent numbers numbers, including deaths appear to indicate this.   We envisage any sailings before 2021 at the earliest despite the cruise lines accepting booking.  

Do we want to be on the first sailings, whenever they are"   Absolutely not.  But we are not interested in the first post drydock sailings or inaugural sailings either.

I doubt very much whether we will sail before either a safe, effective, widely available vaccine is available or a drug that will counter the effects of covid.

Why would we needlessly subject ourselves to health risk or cruise in an environment that is less than satisfactory to us simply to get on a cruise ship?

2 hours ago, iancal said:

We believe that covid is far from over.   The most recent numbers numbers, including deaths appear to indicate this.   We envisage any sailings before 2021 at the earliest despite the cruise lines accepting booking.  

Do we want to be on the first sailings, whenever they are"   Absolutely not.  But we are not interested in the first post drydock sailings or inaugural sailings either.

I doubt very much whether we will sail before either a safe, effective, widely available vaccine is available or a drug that will counter the effects of covid.

Why would we needlessly subject ourselves to health risk or cruise in an environment that is less than satisfactory to us simply to get on a cruise ship?

I was watching a show On Netflix .Season one was filmed last year.The production company is waiting for 2022 because they believe that the virus will still be prominent in 2021.

On 6/11/2020 at 11:35 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Or the Greg Mortimer which on an Antarctica cruise had 60% of their passengers test positive for Covid including the many passengers who were asymptomatic -  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/uruguay-to-repatriate-australian-passengers-from-covid-19-stricken-ship.

DON