Post COVID-19 Muster Drills

Lupush

1 hour ago, RaftingJeremy said:

You haven’t been on an airplane in the last say 20 years?   Most of the safety demonstrations are done by video on an airplane.    It absolutely can be done by video.  

Yeah, but you are still in your seat (where you would be to take emergency action) to watch the video. The question was why not just show it in the TERMINAL.

If you can't read and comprehend the point, you're just making the case for live in-person instruction.

1 hour ago, Navyskip said:

They already have the interative tv tech by remote. One can click ok that they understand and watched the video.  Packed together at a station would not be good. 

You mean like clicking "I ACCEPT" online to prove that you actually read the Terms and Conditions instead of just scrolling to the bottom and clicking the button?

1 hour ago, LaCal said:

Interactive tv and a small quiz 🤔 to make sure you watched it 

Sure...small quiz. Then we could sit here looking at thread after thread of people sharing the answers so they don't have to watch it....much like they share their bid information with the very people they are bidding against hoping that they can determine the "magic number" to bid to win the room?

• Haha 1

I've cruised more than 25 times and find the drills to be the pretty much the same from ship to ship. Some have people meet in public areas,  other by the life boats - so not consistent from line to line - maybe not from ship to ship. Mostly they just need to check your name off the list that you've been there and show you how to put on the jacket. Some lines have you put them on, others don't. How about having your cabin steward, or assigned staff walk you down to your muster station so you know where it is and then watching a video on the TV to show how to use the life jacket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

You mean like clicking "I ACCEPT" online to prove that you actually read the Terms and Conditions instead of just scrolling to the bottom and clicking the button?

Sure...small quiz. Then we could sit here looking at thread after thread of people sharing the answers so they don't have to watch it....much like they share their bid information with the very people they are bidding against hoping that they can determine the "magic number" to bid to win the room?

that is easily fixed by putting a random code number specific to the passenger that they must put on the quiz next to their name

Wow, if anyone really believes that every single passenger will CALMLY walk to their muster station anywhere from 7 to 10 decks (down in the case of Haven suites) live in another universe. That’s the only reason I book balcony suites. I’ll take my chances with my balcony options instead of getting trampled to death on some stairway to my station. We always attend every single muster drill and witness how many guests are chatting or looking on their phone not paying attention. Does anyone think they know where to go?  I don’t think so but this is JMO. 

5 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

Wow, if anyone really believes that every single passenger will CALMLY walk to their muster station anywhere from 7 to 10 decks (down in the case of Haven suites) live in another universe. That’s the only reason I book balcony suites. I’ll take my chances with my balcony options instead of getting trampled to death on some stairway to my station. We always attend every single muster drill and witness how many guests are chatting or looking on their phone not paying attention. Does anyone think they know where to go?  I don’t think so but this is JMO. 

I agree many do that. The seapass cards have the muster station number on them. So in the case where someone doesnt know where to go because they weren't paying attention , crew will let them know where to go. 

2 hours ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

That is the purpose of muster,,, to teach you where to go in the case of an emergency. Not on the deck where the lifeboats are stowed. Not on deck where the lifeboats are launched (in most cases), in a place where they can account for guests and group people to sit, non-socially distant, to get into a lifeboat. 

Surviving a jump from an upper deck balcony is low. And survival in the water after a jump is even lower,,,, especially on new ships where there are no lifejackets in the room. All of the life jackets are at the muster station. 

The muster drill is too important to not do, and its also very important to do it in person and to get it done before or shortly after the ship sails. I guess in this stage, masks will be mandatory but thats it.

16 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Based on your logic, should we, instead of having children participate in a fire drill at school, just show them a video of people walking out of the building? I mean, why walk them through the path to the exit and to the muster area when they can just watch TV, right?

Just like on an airplane? Based on your logic they should just show airline safety on a continuous loop on the TVs in the terminal instead of explaining to us on the airplane. No reason for the flight attendant to physically point out the exits when we can just watch TV, right?

Actually the last flight I was on Frankfurt to Newark (Lufthansa) the flight attendants did not do anything. A video was shown to you on the overhead TV's the the one in the seat in front of you.

My guess is that they may have to do more than one lifeboat drill and stagger attendance,  much like they are seemingly planning to stagger check-in times in the terminal.  It will certainly take longer to have more than one drill, but it may be the only way to do it if they want in-person attendance.  Possibly ask everyone to stay in their cabins while it's going on unless they are the current participant.

It will be interesting to see how things work out once they start cruises again.  And things may need to be adjusted as they see how things work.

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Actually the last flight I was on Frankfurt to Newark (Lufthansa) the flight attendants did not do anything. A video was shown to you on the overhead TV's the the one in the seat in front of you.

So...one more time...you are referring to something ON THE PLANE not in the terminal which is specifically what I was talking about, right?

3 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

So...one more time...you are referring to something ON THE PLANE not in the terminal which is specifically what I was talking about, right?

My mistake, I didn't realize you were referring to the terminal. I should have read your post more carefully

Edited by Laszlo

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Well...unless someone changes the rules of safety on the sea, nothing's changing.  I doubt anyone will be changing the muster drill procedure any time.......in the next couple of years, at least.

I respectfully disagree.  I don't think the cruiselines or cdc for that matter , want everyone packed in all together at their muster stations. I think it will be rethought. 

They will have to come up with a way to do the muster drill so everyone feels safe. 

The present way of the drill will not be acceptable. 

If they were to do it that way, I would not attend. 

It's probably on their to do list of what needs to be changed before passengers are allowed on ship.

Throwing ideas out on this thread may open the cruise line to ideas of what they feel will work for everyone.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

That is the purpose of muster,,, to teach you where to go in the case of an emergency. Not on the deck where the lifeboats are stowed. Not on deck where the lifeboats are launched (in most cases), in a place where they can account for guests and group people to sit, non-socially distant, to get into a lifeboat. 

Surviving a jump from an upper deck balcony is low. And survival in the water after a jump is even lower,,,, especially on new ships where there are no lifejackets in the room. All of the life jackets are at the muster station. 

When did they remove life jackets from the rooms? They have always been either under the bed or in a closet AND in the muster stations. Not having them in the room is disconcerting. 😯