Origination port extended closure

I am scheduled to sail on the Jewel September 14th out of Vancouver on their Hawaii repositioning cruise.  It looks like the Hawaii ports are planning to be opened on their official port site so far, but Vancouver's Canada Place port where NCL sails out of for this cruise is saying it will not open until at least the 1st of November on their official page.  Would NCL change the port to someplace else like Seattle and shuttle people?  They haven't mentioned any itinerary changes and they just sent the upgrade bid email out a week ago.  Seems like knowing the cruise port will not be operating this far out would have been to their advantage and they would keep cruisers notified of a port change or they are cancelling the cruise.  It's 100 days out, this is when people are likely buying their plane tickets.  

Edited by JasonInPlano

Will be changed or cancelled after final payment date as usual.  If they are going to Hawaii then they cannot leave another US port without going to a distant foreign port enroute.  

• Like 1

The nearest departure port they could change to is Ensenada Mexico. That would be a very long bus ride from Vancouver. 😃

I agree with the others that this cruise will likely be cancelled, probably in late July if past announcements are any indication. I only mention Ensenada because they do have time to make that change and assist with passenger travel bookings. We sailed to Hawaii from Ensenada in 2008. We checked in at the pier in San Diego. The ship sailed empty to Ensenada and the passengers were bussed down to board the ship.

20 hours ago, Paul Bogle said:

I agree with the others that this cruise will likely be cancelled, probably in late July if past announcements are any indication. I only mention Ensenada because they do have time to make that change and assist with passenger travel bookings. We sailed to Hawaii from Ensenada in 2008. We checked in at the pier in San Diego. The ship sailed empty to Ensenada and the passengers were bussed down to board the ship.

Sounds like such a hassle!  Was this due to a change that had to be made or was this the original plan all along?

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

12 hours ago, casofilia said:

We are due to travel Auckland-Sydney and return in Jan-Feb 2021 so I hope they are able to sort out the ship's Transpacific voyage!!

I have my doubts.  🤩.   I’m watching to jump on the October Honolulu to Sydney ? Big-  if-  if that goes.      I spent 2 months/2 trips sailing NZ/Au this past season-   Superb itineraries.    

10 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Sounds like such a hassle!  Was this due to a change that had to be made or was this the original plan all along?

It was the plan. If you want to sail from the west coast to Hawaii and end your cruise there you must sail from Canada or Mexico. There have been roundtrip itineraries from the USA west coast but those involve nine or ten sea days.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2020 at 5:17 PM, casofilia said:

We are due to travel Auckland-Sydney and return in Jan-Feb 2021 so I hope they are able to sort out the ship's Transpacific voyage!!

Same for us, several of the cruises AU-NZ and back booked, in case local cruising does go ahead.  And wildly optimistic we're also booked again on Sydney-Tahiti-Honolulu in Feb/Mar on the Jewel.  (We were on the Jewel on that route this Feb/Mar when Tahiti and other ports got closed, so we'd like to try again).

Does anybody know where the Jewel is now?  Online ship locators show it was around Oakland (SF Bay) on May 12th, nothing since.

Realistically I don't think the Jewel will head towards Australia/NZ until there's some reasonable indication there will be some ports open, and that it makes sense for revenue - would a market restricted to just AU/NZ cruisers in a travel bubble be viable, and how would the crew enter?  I don't think it'll happen by this southern summer, but maybe.

Rob

Most of the ship locators, including vesselfinder, are showing "The vessel is en route to OAKLAND,S.F, and expected to arrive there on May 12, 15:00.".   I didn't spot that the location had been updated (to the same location) since then, thanks both.  The text only gets changed when it has a destination.

On 6/6/2020 at 12:57 AM, JasonInPlano said:

I am scheduled to sail on the Jewel September 14th out of Vancouver on their Hawaii repositioning cruise.  It looks like the Hawaii ports are planning to be opened on their official port site so far, but Vancouver's Canada Place port where NCL sails out of for this cruise is saying it will not open until at least the 1st of November on their official page.  Would NCL change the port to someplace else like Seattle and shuttle people?  They haven't mentioned any itinerary changes and they just sent the upgrade bid email out a week ago.  Seems like knowing the cruise port will not be operating this far out would have been to their advantage and they would keep cruisers notified of a port change or they are cancelling the cruise.  It's 100 days out, this is when people are likely buying their plane tickets.  

I am supposed to be on the Jewel a month before you...Seward to Vancouver.  Still has not been canceled so I too am waiting.  I have already canceled my pre and post cruise hotels in Anchorage and Vancouver along with my flights.  58 days out and still nothing on it being canceled and no e-docs either, but making a mock booking my cruise is not listed either.

It will be cancelled. 

From a leaked document yesterday the Jewel is not going to even enter service again until February 21, 2021.

Staff received an email of when each ship would be staffed again to enter service.

18 minutes ago, pixiedust777 said:

It will be cancelled. 

From a leaked document yesterday the Jewel is not going to even enter service again until February 21, 2021.

Staff received an email of when each ship would be staffed again to enter service.

That document most likely is not showing the big picture and all the factors involved, also at this point it's  most likely a guideline, not dates set in stone.

Hopefully folks will realize that.

Edited by ColeThornton

9 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

That document most likely is not showing the big picture and all the factors involved, also at this point it's  most likely a guideline, not dates set in stone.

Fair point, but it's the best guideline in the public domain right now!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Even if used as a guideline it just goes to show how long a process it is going to be to get all these ships ready to go again. From getting crew back on board , Maintenence on the ship, provisions for the crew and passengers it is going to take months to get all the  ships back in the water with passengers.

Edited by pixiedust777
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Absolutely-  subject to many changes and updates.    Too many attach themselves to an old shred of outdated info.        There is nothing firm at present.     

Jewel cancelled this northern winter. Just received emails from NCL, cancelling each of our cruises in Jan/Feb 2021, including Feb 27, 2021 Sydney to Tahiti:

"As a result of changes to the redeployment of our fleet, all Norwegian Jewel sailings from September 25, 2020 through February 27, 2021 have been cancelled. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please be advised that a full refund will be automatically returned to the form of payment provided at the time of booking. As we are sure you share our disappointment, we have issued a future cruise credit, worth 10% of the price paid for your previously scheduled cruise. This credit can be used for up to one year from today's date and can be applied towards any of our currently published sailings between January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2022. The future cruise credit will be available on June 15, 2020."

So maybe starting Mar 18, Tahiti to Hawaii, as that one isn't cancelled (yet).

Rob