Explorer - Onboard Photographers?

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Seahorse said:

Greetings!

We're booked on our first Regent cruise for September, 2021.  Could someone please advise if Regent  Explorer has onboard photographers?

Thanks for your help, Carla

Regent hasn't had onboard photographers for years!

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Seahorse said:

Photobombs are the best!  Thanks for the quick responses.  Stay safe and healthy!

What is a photobomb?

Most of us were very happy when photographers (and artwork sales) were removed from Regent.  The only luxury cruise line where you can still find photographers is on Crystal.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 1

VERB
photo-bomb (verb)
  1. spoil a photograph of (a person or thing) by unexpectedly appearing in the camera's field of view as the picture is taken, typically as a prank or practical joke.
    "we were interrupted and photobombed by at least twenty tourists"
NOUN
photo bomb (noun)
  1. a photograph that has been spoiled by the unexpected appearance of an unintended subject in the camera's field of view as the picture was taken.
    "everyone loves a good photobomb and it's even more hilarious when celebrities get in on the action"

Interesting.  Sounds like something I would expect to see on mainstream and premium cruise lines.  Regent does film the "Block Party" which is one reason that I do not attend (or attend and leave when the cameras arrive).  Fortunately (in my opinion), there will not be Block Parties for some time as it requires people to be in close contact.  

• Haha 1

OK, I haven't laughed so hard in weeks.  Assuming the last post was meant in jest.

Otherwise, I just love the idea that photobombing is something that would never occur on a 6 star, luxury cruise.

To the OP, this may give you occasion to up your current camera or phone if need be.  That iPhone 11Pro and Pro Max have great cameras! 🙂

• Like 4

Order, Order, I say to this cacophony of chaotic responses:  

Or, as the Great Late comedian Steve Allen might have opined:  "O.K., folks, but seriously---"  And then, start laughing. 

You want a "serious" photograph taken at some venue on a Regent ship--to include on deck when the Sun is setting--simply ask a Staff member to take that picture.  Could be on an Anniversary, or Birthday.  Of course, you supply the camera.  There will be no goofing-around in the background, whether Compass Rose Dining Room or in an atrium.  That has been our experience with Radisson/Regent for the past 16 years.   

Let us hope there will be an opportunity in the not-too distant future to be aboard a Regent ship--any ship.  Agree that the novel Block Party venue--which we always enjoyed on all ships (except Splendor due to having that March 14th trip canceled) will probably be another casualty of the COVID-19 distancing protocol.  While a pity, fully necessary. 

That Party was, for us, always great fun, and an opportunity to establish rapport, or at-least introduction, with contiguous shipmates.

Stay safe.  

GOARMY!

53 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Interesting.  Sounds like something I would expect to see on mainstream and premium cruise lines.  Regent does film the "Block Party" which is one reason that I do not attend (or attend and leave when the cameras arrive).  Fortunately (in my opinion), there will not be Block Parties for some time as it requires people to be in close contact.  

I recall when the cameras arrived from PBS to film their documentary, you welcomed them into your suite and agreed to be filmed?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

............Let us hope there will be an opportunity in the not-too distant future to be aboard a Regent ship--any ship.  Agree that the novel Block Party venue--which we always enjoyed on all ships (except Splendor due to having that March 14th trip canceled) will probably be another casualty of the COVID-19 distancing protocol.  While a pity, fully necessary. 

That Party was, for us, always great fun, and an opportunity to establish rapport, or at-least introduction, with contiguous shipmates.

Stay safe.  

GOARMY!

I whole heartily agree. It is always a great chance to meet your neighbors. But it will probably be canceled at least for a while.

If you are not into that, stay in your room or go to a bar. It only last about 30 or 40 minutes if everyone is real talkative.

Edited by cwn

One of the many reasons we like Regent is that there are NO (repeat NO) photographers constantly taking pictures of you and trying to sell you those...shots. But there are many photographers on board  and you can take advantage of them. 

1. We haven't met a passenger or staff member who wouldn't take a pic of your with your own camera or phone, no matter where you are.

2. Every fellow passenger is more than happy to take your camera or phone and take a pic of you (if they don't...well...don't worry, they'll leave the ship soon :-) )

3. yes, there is an official photographer on board to take pics during the block party or other venues... (actually we have only seen him/her during the block party and sometimes on shore....) ...but never in your face. 

So if you want a picture taken...there are plenty of photographers around, all with the best intentions. Use them. 

2 hours ago, Gcto said:

One of the many reasons we like Regent is that there are NO (repeat NO) photographers constantly taking pictures of you and trying to sell you those...shots. But there are many photographers on board  and you can take advantage of them. 

I strongly agree with you (and was taken aback when I saw photographers and hundreds of photos on display for sale on Crystal.). Some people do not want their photo taken and definitely do not want to be photobombed as it sounds as if can be done without your knowledge and possibly posted on a public board.  To me, there is nothing funny about taking someone’s photo without their permission.

In terms of the Block Party, they are fun.  However, after a couple dozen cruises, we became tired of them (we also do not attend the Captain’s Reception or the Seven Seas Society party but do attend the Captain’s Farewell and Top Tier events).  I’m not sure how any of these events will be handled during the pandemic.  They would be difficult (if not impossible) to do with social distancing.

There are things that those of us that hope to sail this year (or early next year) will have to give up in order to cruise but we are willing to do whatever it takes to keep everyone safe.  

10 hours ago, pdaniel said:

I recall when the cameras arrived from PBS to film their documentary, you welcomed them into your suite and agreed to be filmed?

You know, I recall reading it was the Discovery Channel filming in their suite (PBS was on same sailing). I admit, I also assumed there was some sort of compensation, in kind if not in cash, involved, and that the producers would have had everyone in the suite sign release waivers.

4 minutes ago, greykitty said:

You know, I recall reading it was the Discovery Channel filming in their suite (PBS was on same sailing). I admit, I also assumed there was some sort of compensation, in kind if not in cash, involved, and that the producers would have had everyone in the suite sign release waivers.

They were likely luxury photographers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well, as long at at least a few of you are onboard our sailing it sounds like we'll have a fun time!

On the mass market lines the ships' photographers tend to make us crazy.  Obtrusive, high-pressure hacks.  We have found, though, that the photographers on Crystal are very talented and have captured some great images.  Add to that the lack of pressure to buy, and the more reasonable prices than you find on the mega lines, and we've been very happy with the photo services on Crystal.

I appreciate everyone's input, and humor!  Carla

• Like 1

4 hours ago, greykitty said:

Not sure what on earth this has to do with photographers onboard a ship taking photos of passengers.  As can be attested to by the many Regent passengers that have been videoed on ships for the various shows regarding Explorer, we signed a waiver and that it is.  They were lovely people who worked their rear ends off for endless hours every day.  We had a party for them in our suite before they disembarked.  Now the people that like to bring up things from the past have something else to bring up.  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, nfcu said:

As usual, reading the Regent Boards I am reminded of Mrs. Bucket on "Keeping Up Appearances".

4 hours ago, greykitty said:

Dang, I haven’t kept up with that show lately if it’s still being rerun anywhere . Remember seeing episodes on pbs.  Remember hyacinth clearly though. 

Season 2, Episode 1 is playing on Vegas PBS this Saturday.  That may or may not mean it will be on other PBS stations now also.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cinnamon Seahorse said:

On the mass market lines the ships' photographers tend to make us crazy.  Obtrusive, high-pressure hacks.  We have found, though, that the photographers on Crystal are very talented and have captured some great images.  Add to that the lack of pressure to buy, and the more reasonable prices than you find on the mega lines, and we've been very happy with the photo services on Crystal.

We have found that the photographers on Crystal leave us alone after a polite "No, thank you."  They learn quickly who does and does not want their photo taken.

• Like 2

SusieQft--I concur.  As a rule we haven't been the biggest fans of shipboard photos.  I must say, though, that Crystal photographers have captured some great images.  I like not being accosted, but still having the opportunity to have photos taken.  A win-win in my mind.  Have a great day, Carla

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a brief "Second the Motion" re: last two Postings.  The best onboard photos we have obtained--when we wanted--have been on Crystal.  Not intrusive.  Just professional. 

GOARMY!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Just a brief "Second the Motion" re: last two Postings.  The best onboard photos we have obtained--when we wanted--have been on Crystal.  Not intrusive.  Just professional. 

GOARMY!

We are planning to sail Crystal Serenity end of October for 2 weeks. We decided to try their special. Hope we enjoy it, after all our Regent cruises.....

sheila

• Like 1