Grandeur of the Seas Junior Suite Question

32 minutes ago, Pumbaamd said:

With all the crazy scheduling they are doing, Enchantment could go elsewhere. Grandeur could be in Baltimore for longer than what most of us believe.

R&D

Absolutely.  ANYTHING could happen.

33 minutes ago, Pumbaamd said:

With all the crazy scheduling they are doing, Enchantment could go elsewhere. Grandeur could be in Baltimore for longer than what most of us believe.

R&D

Hmmm... Good point Pumbaamd!  I hadn't thought of that.  Yes, anything is possible.  Keeping Grandeur in Baltimore a while longer would be great!

• Like 1

Several years ago RCL announced MJ was going to Pullmantur and her last cruise would be on **/**/2***. We had a whole crowd of MJ fans and we all booked the final cruise. Well, that final cruise date was extended another 8-10 months. We all booked this next "final" cruise. Guess what, they moved it a second time. And MJ is still with us after all this.

R&D

On 7/7/2020 at 1:55 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Yes, but if the recommencement of cruising doesn't come until 2021, will they bother bringing her back for just three months?  😞 

Who knows.

I hope so, as we are booked for her early March 2021, 12 night Southern Caribbean.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 8:25 PM, Pumbaamd said:

R&D

That would not make me cry.

I would dance my happy dance.

• Like 2

We sailed Grandeur April 2019 and LOVED her.  We had JS 8586 and it was great.  Loved the aft facing balcony. And it was really neat to be able to see the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel outbound and inbound at night. I never knew they actually have traffic stopped for when the ship gov=es over it.  The crew was AWESOME.  And loved the CD and Activities manger.  They were very visible, involved and friendly.  I hope for your sake you get to sail.

Erika

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, birdylady said:

We sailed Grandeur April 2019 and LOVED her.  We had JS 8586 and it was great.  Loved the aft facing balcony. And it was really neat to be able to see the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel outbound and inbound at night. I never knew they actually have traffic stopped for when the ship gov=es over it.  The crew was AWESOME.  And loved the CD and Activities manger.  They were very visible, involved and friendly.  I hope for your sake you get to sail.

Erika

They don't stop traffic for ships going over the tunnel.  They'd be stopping traffic constantly.  Where did you get that idea?   I've been over it 10 times (7 on GR, 2 on EN and once on Carnival Pride).  Traffic keeps moving into and through the tunnel the entire time.  

25 minutes ago, birdylady said:

Erika

Erika-

Was the CD John & Wife Katrina? We've had them on several Grandeur cruises and really came around to liking them very much.

11 minutes ago, BND said:

They don't stop traffic for ships going over the tunnel.  They'd be stopping traffic constantly.  Where did you get that idea?   I've been over it 10 times (7 on GR, 2 on EN and once on Carnival Pride).  Traffic keeps moving into and through the tunnel the entire time.  

We got that idea because we watched each direction. There were police cars with their blue lights and cars backed up on each side.  After we were at a distance, we saw the blue lights shut off and could see car headlights moving into the tunnel. I agree. I thought it was odd as I figured cars would never get to go through.  But that IS what we saw and took pictures of.
Erika

11 minutes ago, John Prine Fan said:

Erika-

Was the CD John & Wife Katrina? We've had them on several Grandeur cruises and really came around to liking them very much.

Yes.  That was them.  Unlike other CDs in so many ways.  The really made you feel  like family, as did the rest of the crew.  I've always felt Royal crews were very friendly, but I think Grandeur crew was a whole new level.  Just so nice. Would like to have the opportunity to sail her again. Don't see that happening though. :(
Erika

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, birdylady said:

We got that idea because we watched each direction. There were police cars with their blue lights and cars backed up on each side.  After we were at a distance, we saw the blue lights shut off and could see car headlights moving into the tunnel. I agree. I thought it was odd as I figured cars would never get to go through.  But that IS what we saw and took pictures of.
Erika

That was a coincidence.  They do not close it for ship traffic.  It's the reason it was built so no bridge lifts are required at the main channel entrance.  There is almost constant ship traffic crossing the tunnel.  

1 hour ago, birdylady said:

Yes.  That was them.  Unlike other CDs in so many ways.  The really made you feel  like family, as did the rest of the crew.  I've always felt Royal crews were very friendly, but I think Grandeur crew was a whole new level.  Just so nice. Would like to have the opportunity to sail her again. Don't see that happening though. 😞
Erika

Agree, very nice crew, and John & Katrina are really good at their job. Hoping we can see them 1 more time 🙂

1 hour ago, BND said:

That was a coincidence.  They do not close it for ship traffic.  It's the reason it was built so no bridge lifts are required at the main channel entrance.  There is almost constant ship traffic crossing the tunnel.  

WOW! Talk about coincidence.  Both directions.  Do you think because it was around midnight they may choose to do it for cruise ships then due to lower traffic? 

Erika

5 minutes ago, birdylady said:

WOW! Talk about coincidence.  Both directions.  Do you think because it was around midnight they may choose to do it for cruise ships then due to lower traffic? 

Erika

No, there's absolutely no reason to.  As I said, the tunnel was built so traffic didn't have to be stopped for bridge lifts.  It could have been due to road work

6 minutes ago, birdylady said:

Erika

BND is right. They dont close traffic to allow ships to pass. They have been doing a lot of construction on the bridge over the past 1-2 years, I suspect they may have paused traffic to adjust lanes or something.

3 hours ago, birdylady said:

Yes.  That was them.  Unlike other CDs in so many ways.  The really made you feel  like family, as did the rest of the crew.  I've always felt Royal crews were very friendly, but I think Grandeur crew was a whole new level.  Just so nice. Would like to have the opportunity to sail her again. Don't see that happening though. 😞
Erika

Agree.  We have been on Grandeur many times.  Always felt that the crew treated you like family.  We will miss the Grandeur if it leaves the RCCL fleet.

3 hours ago, BND said:
3 hours ago, birdylady said:

No, there's absolutely no reason to.  As I said, the tunnel was built so traffic didn't have to be stopped for bridge lifts.  It could have been due to road work

The tunnel was built due to the military presence in the tidewater area.  Since many of the ships would have to go under a bridge, the best way to clog a channel is to bomb the bridge.  That is why all the rivers crossings in Norfolk and the area are tunnels.  

Been on bridge tunnel many times (lived in Virginia Beach) and never stopped for a ship over the tunnel

22 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

The tunnel was built due to the military presence in the tidewater area.  Since many of the ships would have to go under a bridge, the best way to clog a channel is to bomb the bridge.  That is why all the rivers crossings in Norfolk and the area are tunnels.  

Been on bridge tunnel many times (lived in Virginia Beach) and never stopped for a ship over the tunnel

We lived in VA Beach also.  I know many who use it regularly and you're right it's never closed except for road work or accidents.  DH is a retired US Navy Captain and went over that tunnel countless times on ships. Height requirements for a bridge to avoid having to raise them made a tunnel the preferred method.  I don't think some people realize  just how much traffic goes over it every hour.

Edited by BND

I was going to edit it to add, that yes as Norfolk has a large Naval presence, although smaller than it used to be, the idea of tunnels was made as a strategic move.  The rt 13 bridge/tunnel is something I never had to use, but know plenty who did/have.   The I-64 bridge tunnel has always been a PITA also.  I can't tell you how many Friday evenings after work I spent sitting in stopped traffic trying to cross to head to I-95 to head to visit my family in Maryland.  Traffic is the one thing I don't miss about that area.   I can only imagine if there weren't tunnels.

Edited by BND

On 7/9/2020 at 9:16 AM, John Prine Fan said:

Erika-

To each their own.

Had them spring 2019 and we were NOT impressed.

On 7/9/2020 at 9:28 AM, birdylady said:

Erika

Probably an accident in the tunnel.  That just happened to be about the time you crossed.

I have never seen traffic stopped for a ship crossing.

On 7/6/2020 at 6:59 AM, kasmrobi said:

Thanks everyone! I put a deposit down for a January 2021 cruise on the Grandeur. Final payment isn't due until October, so plenty of time to make changes or cancel between now and then. The pricing was too good to not lock in! We'll see what happens between now and October.

Kasmrobi, did you book the Jan 2-9 sailing?