The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

50 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I was so grateful when it hit 40 this afternoon...  I went for a drive to run errands for the first time in days.

Vince

Talk about being thankful at this holiday season, yesterday I picked my car up after 109(!) days in the shop.  That was fun(and it's not doing our cruise budget any favors.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Talk about being thankful at this holiday season, yesterday I picked my car up after 109(!) days in the shop.  That was fun(and it's not doing our cruise budget any favors.)

Yikes.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Wishing you and OLoPP and your car a wonderful happy HEALTHY New Year!!!

• Like 5

Many Thanks for the kind wishes !

I hope in 2023 you can go on a Crystal cruise ,  I am waiting for "something"  from the new owners ranging from  a discount or an upgrade - well something like that. 

When the Manfredi group was still owning SS , unfortunately the last years they were not kind at all to singles ...so wait and see on new C 

I am dancing from one company to another when  low single sup are offered 

I hope a lot of the nice people will come back  -  but my naughty side i also wish some  5 people will not come back ...  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vistaman said:

Many Thanks for the kind wishes !

I hope in 2023 you can go on a Crystal cruise ,  I am waiting for "something"  from the new owners ranging from  a discount or an upgrade - well something like that. 

When the Manfredi group was still owning SS , unfortunately the last years they were not kind at all to singles ...so wait and see on new C 

I am dancing from one company to another when  low single sup are offered 

I hope a lot of the nice people will come back  -  but my naughty side i also wish some  5 people will not come back ...  

Also waiting on details from Crystal...

Tried Seabourn and Azamara this year for the itineraries. About to go on my first Ponant expedition ship, hoping it will have some of the Crystal Mozart qualities - being similar in it's capacity.

NB Ponant has expanded to offer quite a few trips with no solo supplement!

Happy New Year to everyone!

• Like 3

New years is great on a cruise.  We did the millennium from New Zealand to L.A.  Because we were traveling east we had 2 new years and 2 great celebrations - one formal and one informal.

A great holiday to celebrate on the ship

• Like 2

Yes, Happy New Year all(I mean, they've already worked off their hangovers in eastern Australia.)

Over here at the Chez, the fun is about to get underway.  Mrs Chef will soon start on her famous NYE stroganoff, followed by her NYD brisket. I do love the greatest hits portion of the program.

• Like 4

So, I'm staying out of OLoPPs way as the stroganoff symphony gets underway.  This has me reminiscing about NYEs of yore(boring alert, Vince will like this, everyone else...)

Back in the day, we were smitten by Alinea in Chicago(still are.)  Way back in 2014, we got the wild hare to go to Alinea for NYE(yes, fly into Chicago in the winter on SWA).  We were younger and less wise(now not younger, still less wise.)

Odd thing was, we could only get a 9 PM(maybe 9:30) reservation.  Later than we'd like, but we booked it.  We get there, place is humming(quietly, everything at Alinea is done quietly) and we go thru our progression of dishes that one by one make it a glorious evening.  It's getting on toward midnight.  We're about to ask for the check, server stalls us.  They usher EVERYONE in the restaurant into the kitchen where BOH staff awaits.  Chef is there is and says a few words of thanks for the support.  Then they sabre open  a huge bottle(Jeroboam?) of champagne, pour it out, and we all toast the new year.  In Alinea's freaking kitchen.  It's reasonable to find this either silly, wonderful, or both.  Put us in the wonderful camp.

Oh yeah, we went back the next year and did it again.  Difference was, the next day they started knocking out walls to make way for Alinea 2.0(remind you of anything.) These days, they do two NYE seatings like every other joint.  I am not given much to this sentimentality but some things are not what they used to be.

Also,  we got into and out of Chicago on NYE on SWA both time with nary a hitch.  Lucky duckies.

• Like 5

We had a very nice prime rib with all the fixings this evening, including my Better Half's "world famous" (at least within the family) Yorkshire Pudding!! Everything is all cleaned up and put away, and I suspect we may not make Midnight! Since we are reminiscing about NYEs past........

Our closest friends have two sons, two years apart, and when they were young, 8 and 6 as I recall, Dad  built a backyard skating rink. How Canadian is that!! We always got together on NYE at their place, and this particular one was one of the coldest on record! The boys, and my BH, are out on the rink for hours on end, while we, bundled up in heavy coats, tuques on our heads and gloves on our hands, tend to the rib eye roast on the BBQ rotisserie. At one point, the hockey puck skids into the snow beside the rink, so I put my martini down on the local windowsill to go retrieve it. I come back, not more than three minutes later, and the water from the ice cubes in my drink had frozen on the top of the gin in my glass!😁😁 The NYE my martini froze!! A Canadian Winter Memory!!

Edited by Roland4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Roland4 said:

We had a very nice prime rib with all the fixings this evening, including my Better Half's "world famous" (at least within the family) Yorkshire Pudding!! Everything is all cleaned up and put away, and I suspect we may not make Midnight! Since we are reminiscing about NYEs past........

Our closest friends have two sons, two years apart, and when they were young, 8 and 6 as I recall, Dad  built a backyard skating rink. How Canadian is that!! We always got together on NYE at their place, and this particular one was one of the coldest on record! The boys, and my BH, are out on the rink for hours on end, while we, bundled up in heavy coats, tuques on our heads and gloves on our hands, tend to the rib eye roast on the BBQ rotisserie. At one point, the hockey puck skids into the snow beside the rink, so I put my martini down on the local windowsill to go retrieve it. I come back, not more than three minutes later, and the water from the ice cubes in my drink had frozen on the top of the gin in my glass!😁😁 The NYE my martini froze!! A Canadian Winter Memory!!

Oh that's a memory Dickens would have cribbed,  One question: when you refer to Yorkshire Pudding are you referring to the one made with beef tallow? 

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2023 to all our Crystal Cruises Cruise Critic Members.  

May your dreams come true.

2023-01-01_03-12-37.thumb.png.2dc9d980901c43b0a80d7c51c62e610b.png

This year marks the return of Crystal Cruises.

Can't wait.  Ready to go.  And, yes, bags packed.

See many of you on-board.

Keith

• Like 7

8 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Oh that's a memory Dickens would have cribbed,  One question: when you refer to Yorkshire Pudding are you referring to the one made with beef tallow? 

It's the same idea, except in individual muffin tins, with melted shortening in each instead of tallow. Done properly, and my BH mastered the recipe years ago, (something my Mom never could, we called hers Yorkshire Hockey Pucks!) you end up with this pillow of yummy that goes great with beef gravy!!😋😋

• Like 1

Happy New Year.

New Years Eve was crazy for me and I never got around to posting a sunrise so here it is, taken December 31, 2013 during family time with my brother at a beach house near Port Canaveral, Florida:

dawn1231.jpg

Fast forward a year and a day to January 1, 2015 from MS Ryndam approaching Trujllo, Honduras on my only New Years Cruise:

dawn0101.jpg

Roy

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Roland4 said:

At one point, the hockey puck skids into the snow beside the rink, so I put my martini down on the local windowsill to go retrieve it. I come back, not more than three minutes later, and the water from the ice cubes in my drink had frozen on the top of the gin in my glass!😁😁 The NYE my martini froze!! A Canadian Winter Memory!!

Now, had you added "and there was a very tiny man driving a very tiny zamboni polishing the ice"  that would have been an Oh! Canada story for the ages.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3