The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise.  It's from my 2016 Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage cruise and August 31 was probably one of the first days that the sun set before my bed time.  It was a sea day from Cambridge Bay to Pond Inlet.

daysend31.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

Keith and other posting recent pictures - are you using a "real' camera or just pictures from your phone's camera.  Trying to figure out if I'll dig out my SLR camera or just use my phone's one.  I actually thing the phone's specs may be better than my SLR but not the same lens range.

Pics are great so interested about what type camera

17 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Keith and other posting recent pictures - are you using a "real' camera or just pictures from your phone's camera.  Trying to figure out if I'll dig out my SLR camera or just use my phone's one.  I actually thing the phone's specs may be better than my SLR but not the same lens range.

Pics are great so interested about what type camera

Most of the photos are from my iPhone.  

I do love the SLR but the last time I took with with me was NWP in 2016.  The benefit was for the long range photos but it can be a lot of weight to carry around.

Keith

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Some articles of interest in today's WaPo:

This should be of special interest to Roy(well, the QM2 aspect)

https://wapo.st/45VMRxj

And one just for Vince:

https://wapo.st/3ZhEfiF

Thanks.  QM2 may well be the most stable passenger ship ever but the rules of physics are unforgiving, especially in the far North Atlantic.

Roy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

And one just for Vince:

Thank you for posting your WaPo articles as a gift to us!

The restaurants sound fabulous.And I read every word about ballet on Cunard, as well.

Edited by May B
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

And one just for Vince:

Thanks Ken!  I loved reading both articles, but especially the review of Love, Makoto.  I really enjoy reading Tom Sietsema’s reviews.  

Reading that today reminded me of reading Phyllis Richman’s reviews in the Post when I was a kid.  Her Sunday column was in the Magazine (miss that too), so my mother and I would race through the insert bag to find it, but she’d usually get distracted by the bigger and more prominently placed Parade, so I usually ended up with first dibs on the Magazine.  I usually read the review (and the rest of the Magazine) while I ate breakfast, and Parade was so thin I usually got a, “are you done with that yet?”…somewhere about halfway through the meal.

I had to google where Capitol Crossing is though…. Someday soon they’re going to void my ‘Native Wharshintonian’ card, if I don’t start keeping up.  😞 

Vince

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

Thanks Ken!  I loved reading both articles, but especially the review of Love, Makoto.  I really enjoy reading Tom Sietsema’s reviews.  

Reading that today reminded me of reading Phyllis Richman’s reviews in the Post when I was a kid.  Her Sunday column was in the Magazine (miss that too), so my mother and I would race through the insert bag to find it, but she’d usually get distracted by the bigger and more prominently placed Parade, so I usually ended up with first dibs on the Magazine.  I usually read the review (and the rest of the Magazine) while I ate breakfast, and Parade was so thin I usually got a, “are you done with that yet?”…somewhere about halfway through the meal.

I had to google where Capitol Crossing is though…. Someday soon they’re going to void my ‘Native Wharshintonian’ card, if I don’t start keeping up.  😞 

Vince

Well, let's meet at Love, Makoto. We'll hit the BBQ, you can tell us about the sushi.

Remember when the WaPo magazine title was at 90 degrees?  Yeah, that was dumb.

You aren't the only one confused by Capitol Crossing. Our first visit to the area was L'Ardente.  As we're approaching, our Lyft driver follows his nav app into a tunnel.  Following conversation ensues:

Driver(in tunnel):  my app says we're here

Me: um, yeah, I think it's about 100 feet directly above us

We got it sorted, but that was a small adventure. I wonder how many newbies and tourists know the great big office development they're standing at was built over an interstate highway.  Ambitious project, and they pulled it off.  

Have you even been down to the Wharf yet, you slacker? 😁 (Honestly, I shouldn't josh.  We've only been there once, but we did take in both dinner at Del Mar and The Decemberists in concert at the Anthem.  I swear, for us, the Wharf is so successful its fallen victim to the Yogi-ism "no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded.")  Maybe this winter.

Edited by KenzSailing
typo
  • Like 3

Since we seem to start rumors all about  on the Crystal CC page, I was curious if anyone had any idea where Crystal MAY be going in 2025? I realize we wont know until the 14th, but we do like idle speculation in this forum LOL

Edited by wearesiamese

On 9/3/2023 at 7:01 PM, KenzSailing said:

Well, let's meet at Love, Makoto. We'll hit the BBQ, you can tell us about the sushi.

Remember when the WaPo magazine title was at 90 degrees?  Yeah, that was dumb.

You aren't the only one confused by Capitol Crossing. Our first visit to the area was L'Ardente.  As we're approaching, our Lyft driver follows his nav app into a tunnel.  Following conversation ensues:

Driver(in tunnel):  my app says we're here

Me: um, yeah, I think it's about 100 feet directly above us

We got it sorted, but that was a small adventure. I wonder how many newbies and tourists know the great big office development they're standing at was built over an interstate highway.  Ambitious project, and they pulled it off.  

Have you even been down to the Wharf yet, you slacker? 😁 (Honestly, I shouldn't josh.  We've only been there once, but we did take in both dinner at Del Mar and The Decemberists in concert at the Anthem.  I swear, for us, the Wharf is so successful its fallen victim to the Yogi-ism "no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded.")  Maybe this winter.

+1 on the fun of following ride share nav instructions, but at least DC isn't the most "layered" city.  395 is sort of the Big Combover, since most of it can't really be called a Big Dig anymore...  And some other city already claimed that anyway.

I need to embrace the Wharf more -- I'm so far behind on older DC neighborhoods (unless I have to work in them) that I've been putting off even trying to sample the newer ones.

I think the Magazine title sort of started out like that originally, right?  The WaPo banner was at 90 degrees in the original launch commercial (sample linked below)...  BTW, there REALLY is something to ad jingles...  I still remember this commercial vividly almost 40 years later, and thought of it as the MaaaAAAAaaaaAAAAaaaagamagazine till they stopped publishing it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/XD3nWUFnKAo?si=hljiKtNgxm_k7W2T

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 1