Dressing up

jcool

On 7/12/2020 at 7:33 PM, jcool said:

Do I really need to dress up for the dining room? I dislike dressing up in a dress I am a sneaker and t-shirt and jeans women. Do not get me wrong. I have a lot of dresses. And how does my husband need to dress?He loves dressing up. 

Putting on a decent pair of black trousers and something other than a T shirt is hardly "dressing up "

• Like 2

2 hours ago, c-boy said:

MMmmmmmm roast Pork     ..... 🤣

Bwahahahahahahahaha... I love it!

I really do miss being able to just get something to eat that someone else has prepared and then have someone else clean up the mess. Heck, we can't even really go out to restaurants these days. Cruising was great in so many ways.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Potstech said:

For those who insist on dressing up then I would suggest another cruise line that would fit your desired standards.  Princess does not enforce their own suggestions so the are useless.  Maybe finding a company that does enforce theirs might be more to your liking. 

Thrak received 10 like votes to your 1  .....

Voted off the island - Imgflip

• Like 1

I love a good dress code thread, it's been too long.

Around the ship, I wear shorts from dawn to dusk regardless of region or weather.  If required by weather I bundle up for our trips to the Sanctuary (which we use, if we can get space, every day, regardless how cold) I've had as many as 4 layers some days and a large stack of blankets - often we're the only two up there.

Come dinner time though, I fall in line, at least somewhat.  A pair of khakis, long sleeve or aloha shirt, loafers.  Never a raised eyebrow.  She wears capri's or the like with a gift shop top (the ones with sparkly fish, ships or palm trees typically).  

She occasionally brings a dress for formal nights, and I always go with long sleeves on those nights, and again, never a raised eyebrow.  

I was once refused entry during lunch when I inadvertently keep my watch cap on having come in from the Sanctuary.  I removed it immediately when asked, but honestly, my mop of unruly hair was probably more offensive than a grey cap could every be.  Beyond that I've never faced any enforcement action.  

How good it is to have a fresh dress code thread.  Pondering such matters evokes many happy memories.  What to pack, what not to pack, when to "go in to change", when to head to Crooners for a pre-dinner French Martini.  Yes, many happy memories, so looking forward to some new ones in the months and years ahead. 

7 hours ago, pris993 said:

lol, isn't funny how people who don't care about how they look at all, come here to ask if it is okay???  Since you don't care, why should we... too funny.

How do you know they don't care how they look?

19 minutes ago, Potstech said:

How do you know they don't care how they look?

Do flip flops, t shirts, jeans and shorts say I care about how I look going to the MDR?   I would not get that impression!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jcool said:

Thanks everyone for your help. 

Beg3yrs  

of course our clothes do not have holes in them if they were stained or with holes, they would be in the trash 

Thrak 

I been on Carnival so many times. And other lines cruise lines I just want a change. 

Pris993 

If I have to wear a dress, I would wear a dress. That is why I am asking. Even if I am uncomfortable dressing up. 

If you have a dress or suit that is property tailored and fitted then it will be comfortable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pris993 said:

Do flip flops, t shirts, jeans and shorts say I care about how I look going to the MDR?   I would not get that impression!

So all those who do not follow the dress suggestions wear flip flops, tshirts, jeans and shorts to the MDR.  By the way jeans are allowed in the Dining Rooms as long as they are not torn or ripped.

15 minutes ago, Potstech said:

So all those who do not follow the dress suggestions wear flip flops, tshirts, jeans and shorts to the MDR.  By the way jeans are allowed in the Dining Rooms as long as they are not torn or ripped.

I believe the op said she was a t shirt and jeans person, I thru in the flip flops because I have seen those too, funny.  I am just saying if you have to ask if okay,  it probably isn't.... and it does not seem like one cares much how they look if this is how they show up.   I don't even go the MDR any more, so I don't care what they do.  I do think taking the time to dress for dinner is a good thing to do.  My DH who is 88 and I am 73 do make an effort no matter where we go and people do notice, even when we go to the buffet we often get un solicited compliments from strangers.   Just my take on it. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Why is it a big deal to put on a pair of black pants and a nice top with sandals for dinner at night. I’m assuming this is after a shower. I think the food tastes better if you make an effort... 

So that is what it takes to have good tasting food again.

• Like 1

My husband had a friend in college who used to dress in a blazer for exams. He said he always felt he got five extra points on his tests because of it. I’m not talking about formal nights, we don’t do that anymore.  Princess has come a long way towards “country club casual” like a lot of other lines. Just a little care for dinner. When we first started with Princess formal nights were really elegant old school with gowns, tux, white dinner jacket or National Dress like kilts. It was a pain to pack especially with airlines charging extra for extra luggage. There should be a compromise. 

2 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

My husband had a friend in college who used to dress in a blazer for exams. He said he always felt he got five extra points on his tests because of it. I’m not talking about formal nights, we don’t do that anymore.  Princess has come a long way towards “country club casual” like a lot of other lines. Just a little care for dinner. When we first started with Princess formal nights were really elegant old school with gowns, tux, white dinner jacket or National Dress like kilts. It was a pain to pack especially with airlines charging extra for extra luggage. There should be a compromise. 

We always pack our evening dress clothes first, then add what we need for day time... not a pain at all, just depends on ones priorities.   With luggage fees, we only take one or two pairs of dress shoes.  Very easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

When we first started with Princess formal nights were really elegant old school with gowns, tux, white dinner jacket or National Dress like kilts. It was a pain to pack especially with airlines charging extra for extra luggage. There should be a compromise. 

When we first started cruising with Princess there were three different dress nights in the dining rooms. On a one week cruise there would be one formal night (which is what you describe), one semi-formal night (what most people wear these days on formal night) and five smart casual nights.

• Like 1

Cruising is now typically an add on for us.  An occasional component of an extended land trip.   We each travel with a carry on only.  So for me dress up means a pair of slacks and a collared shirt.  So far so good.  We have no issue in not eating in the MDR on those nights.

One of the reasons we go this way is the decline we saw in the MDR formal night experience-the food, the prep, the offerings.  It was always artificial but we started to notice it more and more to the point that we skipped it even when we had packed the recommended attire.  We simply stopped enjoying the experience and the ambiance.  Besides, we had lots of it in our working lives.

Edited by iancal

3 hours ago, pris993 said:

We always pack our evening dress clothes first, then add what we need for day time... not a pain at all, just depends on ones priorities.   With luggage fees, we only take one or two pairs of dress shoes.  Very easy.

We do the same.

I also noticed that my new slim fit dinner jackets were so light I took 4 on my last cruise. The wife loves dressing up even on non formal nights, so I do too to compliment her. We don’t give a monkeys what others choose to wear.

It would a shame for any wives/partners to feel they have to dress down because their other halves can’t be arsed to look half decent.

• Like 1