Norwegian Jewel

Hobie

3 hours ago, jbcallender said:

Any word on whether the broken azipod is fully repaired?

Didn't know that the JEWEL had a broken azipod - - - ?

it was the STAR that had those kind of problems and fixed

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. Alaskan cruises are not operating now / this year. She just cam down from Oakland. She is actually not scheduled to resume passenger service until February 2021. 

Believe the resumption of service will be perhaps Australia/New Zealand and repositioning to Tahiti Hawaii to Alaska

that has been the usual fare for this ship - - -

@don't-use-real-name

Believe the resumption of service will be perhaps Australia/New Zealand

No chance; we have had two cruises back and forth across the Tasman in Jan/Feb already cancelled.

I cannot see any cruise ships visiting NZ till the end of 2021; the government says the border will be closed till a vaccine is available.

54 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

We were on schedule for the Sept. cruise from Vancouver B C, to  Hawaii, in sept.  would have been a great one,  

Hawaii has just postponed opening for tourism from Aug 1 to Sept 1, and I am even concerned the port may not reopen in time for my spring 2021 trip on Jewel. Weirdly, I gather the delay is due to being relatively successful disease-wise, so that needed testing supplies are being diverted to other states in trouble.

Edited by dumbth

On 7/12/2020 at 11:19 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

Believe the resumption of service will be perhaps Australia/New Zealand and repositioning to Tahiti Hawaii to Alaska

Jewel reported the azipod as non-functional before it left Hawaii for California back in March.  Couldn't repair it in Hawaii.  We are on a Jewel sailing in April of 2021, a rebooking from April of 2020.  

I was scheduled for French Polynesia on the Jewel in November. NCL canceled it out about 2 months ago. And from what I’ve heard that part of the world expects to open up to tourists. Thanks for the clarification that the problem was a mechanical issue.

1 hour ago, GlamorousGirl said:

I was scheduled for French Polynesia on the Jewel in November. NCL canceled it out about 2 months ago. And from what I’ve heard that part of the world expects to open up to tourists. Thanks for the clarification that the problem was a mechanical issue.

I believe FP opened back up 7/15 from reports with Paul Gauguin starting late July.  Between FP and PG tons of policies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2020 at 11:19 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

We were actually onboard the Jewel in the South Pacific in March when the azipod broke.  We were dining in the back of the ship. The ship made a loud noise and shook. We had been denied entry into Honolulu (as many other countries had already denied the ship entry) but after the engine was disabled, the Coast Guard deemed it unsafe for us to try and continue onward to California. Looking out the stern you could tell that the ship was not running with full power as water was only coming out one side of the ship (instead of both sides as it had been doing up to this point). It was quite an adventure!