No Bars On Cruise Ships.

rafaelc

12 hours ago, susiesan said:

I suspect you are connecting in SFO, coming in there from ORD if you live in  Madison, WI. I originate in Kansas City and have a 5 hour layover in SFO before the flight to PPT on UA. We would need to get our tests done in our home cities and have results before we board the first leg of the flight. Without the negative test we would not be allowed to board. The clinic near SFO won't help us.

Susie- I really believe the quick tests like Emirates offers will be available by United but realize you can't make plans on a supposition. Can you get the test done in MO? Or can you get a flight into SFO one day prior that's changeable? Have you spoken with United?

2 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

We'll be arriving in San Francisco a day early. We'd have time to get the test done there.  United's flight to PPT is early afternoon, 3 times a week,  so we don't want to take a chance that a flight from ORD on the same day would be delayed.  There is a United nonstop from MSN to SFO but it arrives after the flight to PPT departs.

Sounds like you've got a great plan there. We're arriving in SFO day prior too and have kids/grandkids there so we're fortunate. Also DIL is an MD so she can worm her way into getting us what we need in any case. If these flights are going to be viable for United there are tons of others in the same situation and United will have to have something convenient for all.

Edited by Petoonya

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

By next April there are reasonable odds a vaccine will exist for Covid. Biggest question is will we oldsters be able to get it yet.

I'm not going to count on being one of the essentials who will be at the front of the line to get the vaccine. And definitely can't see it being available to me before April. But think I have myself pretty well covered if we test positive before boarding. The United flight is changeable and my insurance will cover me for everything if I get COVID before I cruise.

Since this thread in about no bars on cruises, after the worry of airline connections, getting the COVID results on time, lost luggage, maintaining one's health, and leaving the dogs and cats I'll need a drink. I'll sit down in the bar but they better serve quickly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Since this thread in about no bars on cruises, after the worry of airline connections, getting the COVID results on time, lost luggage, maintaining one's health, and leaving the dogs and cats I'll need a drink. I'll sit down in the bar but they better serve quickly.

😂

🍷🍷. 🥂

The OP was just trolling and throwing out a Strawman! 🥴. No way will Horizons be shutdown. We’ll all get to enjoy a nice sail away, while enjoying an adult beverage, in my favorite BAR during Happy Hour!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

😂

🍷🍷. 🥂

The OP was just trolling and throwing out a Strawman! 🥴. No way will Horizons be shutdown. We’ll all get to enjoy a nice sail away, while enjoying an adult beverage, in my favorite BAR during Happy Hour!

I'm guessing it will be what we're experiencing out here. You can't stand or sit at the bar but can get table service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

I'm guessing it will be what we're experiencing out here. You can't stand or sit at the bar but can get table service.

I always try to get a great table or couch with a great view in Horizons. I particularly love those comfy couches where we can set with friends, enjoying an adult beverage, and watch sailing out from port and into the sunset. I don’t think I’ve ever sat at the bar in Horizons! I only rarely do in Martinis.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

Untill the ships can fully open bars I do not see them wanting to sail because of profitably.   Liquor sales are such a large part of their business plan.   

Or maybe  we will see the bars with  the annoying spacing and atmosphere  and  there will be a 10-15% fare surcharge  .  Like a fuel surcharge of the past  but now a booze  surcharge

Like it or not   social drinking is a very large part of the enjoyment of a cruise.

• Like 2

On Oceania, bars, like most everything, seem to be a random choice thing. I’ve been on O cruises where the bars have all been busy during Happy Hour spilling over into dinner time. I’ve been on other cruises where Horizons and Martinis have been like ghost towns! Horizons with maybe 8 people at 5:45 isn’t a joyous place! It’s like the evening entertainment, some cruises the Lounge is mostly full, other cruises a good night is 35-50 at best. 

I’m sure it all has to even/average out for Oceania because it has to be in the price structure somewhere.

• Like 1

Let me add to the above post, that reduced capacity cruises will also effect the crowds in the bars. The question becomes then is whether the reduction is purely numerically random, or if not likely a/the new bar arrangements those social drinkers opt out and the cruises fill with more non drinkers or cabin secluders?

With Oceania’s liberal policy of allowing alcohol brought aboard, combined with more passengers hunkered in the cabins, bar participation maybe down. If the new capacities are ~ 400 and 850 for the respective ships, social distancing in the bars may be very simple!

• Like 2

On 7/19/2020 at 11:54 AM, pinotlover said:

On Oceania, bars, like most everything, seem to be a random choice thing. I’ve been on O cruises where the bars have all been busy during Happy Hour spilling over into dinner time.

They may have to offer happy hour in more than one location than Martinis to spread out the crowds. That is the only time we buy drinks on Oceania ships. There are so many cocktail parties we go to that have free drinks we rarely have to buy any.

3 minutes ago, susiesan said:

They may have to offer happy hour in more than one location than Martinis to spread out the crowds. That is the only time we buy drinks on Oceania ships. There are so many cocktail parties we go to that have free drinks we rarely have to buy any.

The 5-6 Happy Hour is in all bars already. I believe they even do it in the Lounge Bar for the trivia players.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Oceania Club receptions. If they are already running 2-3 per cruise to get everyone in, does that mean they’ll be doing 5-6, or will they just stop doing them for awhile?

35 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The 5-6 Happy Hour is in all bars already. I believe they even do it in the Lounge Bar for the trivia players.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Oceania Club receptions. If they are already running 2-3 per cruise to get everyone in, does that mean they’ll be doing 5-6, or will they just stop doing them for awhile?

Probably would have to stop for awhile unless they limit how many guests can be on each cruise. I will miss them if they stop. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Yep, that is an interesting point. 

6 hours ago, ORV said:

Yep, that is an interesting point. 

Maybe they will just invite those that are at  a Milestone cruise

We only go to see the top sailors  but no big deal if we miss it

We get the pins delivered to the cabin anyway

12 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe they will just invite those that are at  a Milestone cruise

We only go to see the top sailors  but no big deal if we miss it

We get the pins delivered to the cabin anyway

I like going for the facts and figures some of the OCA provide. Of personal interest: number/ % of previous cruisers aboard, nationalities of cruisers, average or median ages, those with 60-80+ O cruises aboard, and any new “ news” out of Oceania. An example of the later is one of the OCA during the event talked about the new A Class ship(s) and some of its new features. I typically find those events both entertaining and informative varying somewhat by the OCA doing the talking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I like going for the facts and figures some of the OCA provide. Of personal interest: number/ % of previous cruisers aboard, nationalities of cruisers, average or median ages, those with 60-80+ O cruises aboard, and any new “ news” out of Oceania. An example of the later is one of the OCA during the event talked about the new A Class ship(s) and some of its new features. I typically find those events both entertaining and informative varying somewhat by the OCA doing the talking.

Yes, by the same token there are things I find quite boring, such as where the sister ships are at that time. My biggest issue is understanding those Captains with heavy accents. Just bring me another drink.

Speaking of drinks I miss the days when they would bring me whatever I asked for, including good single malt scotches. Now at the repeaters party or Captain's party you can't even get a Glenfiddich, which is a very baseline single malt. I've switched over to Old Fashioneds or Jamesons at these events.

5 minutes ago, RJB said:

Just stick them in a drawer where they will never see the light of day again. 

LOL. That's what I figured 🙂 When we got luggage tags we left them in the cabin.