How does the Bahamas being closed effect Royal?

4 minutes ago, lovemylab said:

Seeing as how the ships aren't sailing anytime soon I don't think it matters.

It's not only ships -- they are restricting air travel. It matters to those that fly there and can't anymore unless they have a private plane.  It will also matter a great deal to those with secondary homes on the islands. 

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

It's not only ships -- they are restricting air travel. It matters to those that fly there and can't anymore unless they have a private plane.  It will also matter a great deal to those with secondary homes on the islands. 

The subject of thread is "how does the Bahamas being closed effect Royal". 

Airplane travel and those with secondary homes on the islands is irreleventent to the subject of this thread.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lovemylab said:

The subject of thread is "how does the Bahamas being closed effect Royal". 

Airplane travel and those with secondary homes on the islands is irreleventent to the subject of this thread.

I am well aware of the the subject of the thread.  S/B "How does the Bahamas being closed affect Royal" Traveling there by air is not irrelevant as it is mentioned in the article the OP posted.  BTW there was already a previous thread on this and discussed in several threads before that. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Justmekaren918 said:

Royal ships are  Bahamian Reg & yet no US now. How does it work for even the private island? Then again I doubt anyone is sailing to next year! 

Coco Cay will probably not be affected as it is private.  Nassau and Freeport will lose tons of revenue for sure. 

As long as Royal isn't sailing or any cruise line for that matter, it doesn't have any affect. I was hopeful cruising would start again this year, but it is now looking much more likely that it will not. The new debt taken on by them indicates they are gearing up for a 2021 start. The question now is what will that new date be?

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

I am well aware of the the subject of the thread.  S/B "How does the Bahamas being closed affect Royal" Traveling there by air is not irrelevant as it is mentioned in the article the OP posted.  BTW there was already a previous thread on this and discussed in several threads before that. 

My reply was in reference to the title of the thread and the OPs initial question.   The OP was asking how this will impact ROYAL. They were not asking how it will impact the Bahamas tourism industry or those with seasonal homes.  But clearly you just want to argue semantics.

BTW, if you have issues with there being multiple threads you can hit the "report post" button.  

• Like 1

RCL had plans to redevelop part of the Freeport cruise terminal and build a new hotel, convention center, and water adventure park to the tune of $300 million.  This decision by the Bahamian government will more than likely put these plans on hold.  Also, the planned expansion of Coco Cay will more than likely be delayed as well.  

Just now, zekekelso said:

It is still part of the Bahamas and subject to the travel bans. 

Understood.  However, it is a private island.  It's possible that in RCL's contract with the Bahamas, it states otherwise.  If it is subject to the travel ban, then investing $250 million on leased land doesn't make sense at all.  They should have bought the island, IMHO -- don't know if that would have made a difference though.  

17 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Understood.  However, it is a private island.  It's possible that in RCL's contract with the Bahamas, it states otherwise.  If it is subject to the travel ban, then investing $250 million on leased land doesn't make sense at all.  They should have bought the island, IMHO -- don't know if that would have made a difference though.  

They actually did buy the island.  But it is still part of the Bahamas, just as if one were to buy a piece of land in the US, that piece of land is still in the US, and subject to US laws.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, time4u2go said:

They actually did buy the island.  But it is still part of the Bahamas, just as if one were to buy a piece of land in the US, that piece of land is still in the US.

I get it.  I know RCL leased it at first -- if they bought it later I can't find the info.  Disney bought theirs (Castaway Cay) from the beginning.  As an owner of US property, not sure the US can tell me not to enter my property or what to do with it.  Not sure about the Bahamas.

The port at CocCay is maintained by RCL not by the Bahamian government.  Again, the contract RCL signed with the Bahamas would answer the question. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1418

7 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

As an owner of US property, not sure the US can tell me not to enter my property or what to do with it.

As the owner of US property, that's true, you can enter it, as can other people in the US that you allow.  But they can prevent international visitors from entering the US, which includes your property.

And you're right, it would be interesting to see what agreement they have with the Bahamian government.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

As an owner of US property, not sure the US can tell me not to enter my property or what to do with it.  Not sure about the Bahamas.

The port at CocCay is maintained by RCL not by the Bahamian government.  Again, the contract RCL signed with the Bahamas would answer the question. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1418

To address your point, here's another example.  I a Canadian own property in Phoenix but the U.s. has closed its border to Canadians for non essential travel.  The U.S has stopped me from accessing my property as has the Bahamian government stopped RCL from accessing theirs.

Edited by WpgCruise
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, WpgCruise said:

To address your point, here's another example.  I a Canadian own property in Phoenix but the U.s. has closed its border to Canadians for non essential travel.  The U.S has stopped me from accessing my property as has the Bahamian government speeded RCL from accessing theirs.

Good point, with being a non-resident owner.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WpgCruise said:

To address your point, here's another example.  I a Canadian own property in Phoenix but the U.s. has closed its border to Canadians for non essential travel.  The U.S has stopped me from accessing my property as has the Bahamian government stopped RCL from accessing theirs.

I wonder if it's the same for Americans who own property in Canada.  A few weeks ago someone posted that a Florida couple was recently arrested in Canada for not following quarantine in their property in Canada.  These are strange times!  Hope you get to visit your property soon.  

Was also thinking of how the many Americans that have retired overseas are faring.  It must be hard not being able to go back and forth to your country.  Not sure this was in anyone's plans. 

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

I wonder if it's the same for Americans who own property in Canada.  A few weeks ago someone posted that a Florida couple was recently arrested in Canada for not following quarantine in their property in Canada.  These are strange times!  Hope you get to visit your property soon.  

Was also thinking of how the many Americans that have retired overseas are faring.  It must be hard not being able to go back and forth to your country.  Not sure this was in anyone's plans. 

It is the same.  I live in an area of Canada where a lot of Americans have summer homes and quite a few have not been able to get across the border.  Those that do get across have to isolate for 14 days or risk fines.

Just now, lovemylab said:

It is the same.  I live in an area of Canada where a lot of Americans have summer homes and quite a few have not been able to get across the border.  Those that do get across have to isolate for 14 days or risk fines.

Are there exemptions to the rule?  How do some get across to their summer homes?

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I wonder if it's the same for Americans who own property in Canada.  A few weeks ago someone posted that a Florida couple was recently arrested in Canada for not following quarantine in their property in Canada.  

Actually in that specific case the couple have joint citizenship which is how they were able to enter Canada.  Citizens can enter (return to ) Canada but they must self quarantine for 14 days, and these folks did not, hence their consequences.

2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Are there exemptions to the rule?  How do some get across to their summer homes?

Not sure about all the exemptions, but I know citizenship is one.  So an American who also holds Canadian citizenship can cross the border to their summer home but they are still subject to 14 day isolation.

Cross country travel across Canada also requires a 14 day isolation in some cases.  I live in Atlantic Canada and anyone travelling here from outside the Atlantic Provinces needs to isolate for 14 days when the visit.  If I leave the Atlantic provinces (to go to Quebec or Ontario for example), I would have to iolate for 14 days when I return.  

41 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

As the owner of US property, that's true, you can enter it, as can other people in the US that you allow.  But they can prevent international visitors from entering the US, which includes your property.

And you're right, it would be interesting to see what agreement they have with the Bahamian government.

Before Covid the workers commuted from Nassau and Grand Bahamas every 2/3 weeks. I do not think the Bahamas will want them returning after taking care of guests from the US. I do not seem them making an exceptional circumstance for the cruise lines. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Coco Cay will probably not be affected as it is private.  Nassau and Freeport will lose tons of revenue for sure. 

RCI only leases the island, still owned and controlled by Bahamian government, and has some locals working there.

Bahamian customs still come out to every ship that docks there.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Before Covid the workers commuted from Nassau and Grand Bahamas every 2/3 weeks. I do not think the Bahamas will want them returning after taking care of guests from the US. I do not seem them making an exceptional circumstance for the cruise lines. 

Agree.  Good points.  Until Bahama opens up, Coco Cay will most likely be closed to RCCL cruise ships.