How does the Bahamas being closed effect Royal?

Back on topic, the Bahamas decision to ban Americans is going to affect not only RCL, but the travel and tourism sectors of the US and Bahamian economies.  While RCL is not cruising there now, and in the short term will probably not make much difference, it will in the future.  More significantly RCL will probably have to cut back on its expansion plans in Freeport and CocoCay which translates into fewer jobs and growth for both RCL and the Bahamas. 

13 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Back on topic, the Bahamas decision to ban Americans is going to affect not only RCL, but the travel and tourism sectors of the US and Bahamian economies.  While RCL is not cruising there now, and in the short term will probably not make much difference, it will in the future.  More significantly RCL will probably have to cut back on its expansion plans in Freeport and CocoCay which translates into fewer jobs and growth for both RCL and the Bahamas. 

No doubt this pandemic has hurt all of us economically. It appears that the Bahamas are more concerned about public safety than an economic disaster.  You can revive the economy but you can't resurrect the dead.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 7

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

No doubt this pandemic has hurt all of us economically. It appears the the Bahamas are more concerned about public safety than an economic disaster.  You can revive the economy but you can't resurrect the dead.

True but as was mentioned previously, by allowing citizens of other countries, they are lessening the risk for sure but not totally protecting themselves.  There are infected people in the countries they are allowing in so their public safety concern is not totally pure. 

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

True but as was mentioned previously, by allowing citizens of other countries, they are lessening the risk for sure but not totally protecting themselves.  There are infected people in the countries they are allowing in so their public safety concern is not totally pure. 

True but with Florida being a stone throw away and the gateway to the Bahamas they have cut us off. I can't say I blame them. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm in the process of liquidating a sporting goods store. Can't sell sports equipment or cleats even at 50% off. All anyone wants are weights and fitness equipment which have been sold out since the last week in February . 

Funny you mention this, I've been trying to buy 5lb weights for a month now -- sold out everywhere -- Amazon, Walmart, Target you name it -- no one has them -- it's the same as the toilet paper phenomenon in the beginning.  Guess most people aren't returning to the gym anytime soon. 

1 minute ago, sxphil said:

Will that stop RCL using Coco Cay as it is currently doing as a temporay mooring 

no, CocoCay is privately owned by RCI, The workers aren't there for the straw market as there's nobody to offer services to. 

15 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

no, CocoCay is privately owned by RCI, The workers aren't there for the straw market as there's nobody to offer services to. 

Yes its owned but still under the Bahamas Laws (as discussed in detail above)

So reading that surely the ships can't moor there

39 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Funny you mention this, I've been trying to buy 5lb weights for a month now -- sold out everywhere -- Amazon, Walmart, Target you name it -- no one has them -- it's the same as the toilet paper phenomenon in the beginning.  Guess most people aren't returning to the gym anytime soon. 

I think the issue is that they come from China. I purchased a GE stove online in April from a very popular appliance store in NY. It was only delivered last week. It was on backorder from China.

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I was so sure that RC had a 99 year lease of CocoCay, but the annual report as far back as 2003 contains this sentence.  

Originally, it was a lease they inherited when they bought Admiral Cruises in 1988.  If their annual report states they own it then they bought it later. 

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/cococayhistory.html#:~:text=Following the 1988 purchase of,Island" getaway for its passengers.

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 9.21.50 AM.png

13 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Who is the staff? Where do they come from? How do they get to CocoCay?

Do they all go home to their loved ones on neighboring islands and spread your disease to the rest of the Bahamas?

Have you been there lately?  Do you walk around the island?  There is a two story apartment building, plus modular apartments in the employee/maintenance area.  Many employees stay there, but many also do indeed transfer in (trinket shop vendors).  Probably pretty quiet there right now...except for those loud Roosters chasing the hens.  😉 

Much of the staff comes from each ship that calls on the island, plus the food and drink, etc.  

Edited by island lady

3 hours ago, sxphil said:

Will that stop RCL using Coco Cay as it is currently doing as a temporay mooring 

I'm sure I read something from Captain Kate that they had special permission to dock there to change crew and to deliver supplies to those still on the island, but no one is allowed off the dock onto the actual island, which is all they've been doing the last few months anyway. 

But it was on one of her instagram stories that only last so long so I cant find it now...

Someone fairly recently posted an article in these forums regarding Royal's purchase of CocaCay.  The article stated they recently purchased the remainder of the island.  If I find it, I will post it here.  Hopefully, that poster will post a link to the article. Edit: My recollection was somewhat off but fairly close.

The poster was @Ourusualbeach

Article: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1992-12-16-9204240285-story.html

Maybe someone can find that annual report that references the purchae.

Edited by soremekun

In the linked article dated Jun 23, 2020 it says under Ownership "Alfred Sears, the former attorney general, wrote in an article: "Significant crown grants, long crown leases and government conveyances and leases by the Hotel Corporation and the treasurer were made to Baha Mar; Baker's Bay in Abaco; MSC in Ocean Cay; Resorts World/Bimini Bay; Royal Caribbean's seabed lease at Coco Cay; Sandals Royal Bahamian in Nassau; Sandals Emerald Bay in Exuma; Breezes at Cable Beach; and numerous islands and cays in the Exumas and Abacos." 

Crown Land Inequity in the Bahamas  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Originally, it was a lease they inherited when they bought Admiral Cruises in 1988.  If their annual report states they own it then they bought it later. 

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/cococayhistory.html#:~:text=Following the 1988 purchase of,Island" getaway for its passengers.

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 9.21.50 AM.png

Right. So when did the change happen?  When did the lease end and when did they "purchase" the island?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

There is a two story apartment building, plus modular apartments in the employee/maintenance area.  Many employees stay there,

Yes, they live there permanently. They never go home to their families, ever.  Cococay is an independent nation.

They don't have to listen to anyone. They can accept every international visitor no problem at all no matter what their government mandates. 🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Right. So when did the change happen?  When did the lease end and when did they "purchase" the island?

I am not sure they did purchase it.  Those leases can be very loooooonngg!  😉 

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Yes, they live there permanently. They never go home to their families, ever.  Cococay is an independent nation.

They don't have to listen to anyone. They can accept every international visitor no problem at all no matter what their government mandates. 🙄

Wow...need coffee...or maybe a bit less?  😉 

5 hours ago, GarlicBread said:

I'm sure I read something from Captain Kate that they had special permission to dock there to change crew and to deliver supplies to those still on the island, but no one is allowed off the dock onto the actual island, which is all they've been doing the last few months anyway. 

But it was on one of her instagram stories that only last so long so I cant find it now...

Right now, 5pm on Tuesday, there is a thread on the first page of the Celebrity forum showing how the 4 Celebrity ships anchored off Coco Cay are getting & delivering  Covid tests.  Edge, Eclipse & Silhouette ... can't remember the 4th ... 

Just went back to find the link ... video is on page 3 of the thread

Edited by Lady Chew

On 7/20/2020 at 12:41 PM, WpgCruise said:

To address your point, here's another example.  I a Canadian own property in Phoenix but the U.s. has closed its border to Canadians for non essential travel.  The U.S has stopped me from accessing my property as has the Bahamian government stopped RCL from accessing theirs.

Actually u can't get to Canada, because Canada has closed their border till 2021! 

4 hours ago, Justmekaren918 said:

Actually u can't get to Canada, because Canada has closed their border till 2021! 

1. Canadian citizens can still return to Canada.  

2. The Canada/US border is currently closed to August 21, 2020.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lovemylab said:

1. Canadian citizens can still return to Canada.  

2. The Canada/US border is currently closed to August 21, 2020.

That is correct, Canadian CITIZENS can get into Canada. However they would still have to 14 day self quarantine once they got there. I know this because I am a Canadian Citizen (living in the US) and I wanted to go back and visit my family for a short visit

and realized that it wouldn't be worth all of the hoops that I would have to go through. (ex. 14 day self quarantine once I got to Canada and then another 14 day self quarantine once I got back to the US. I would actually spend way more time in quarantine than with my family. Also, I don't have that much vacation time from work...

• Like 1