Is the specialty dining worth an extra $179 pp on Symphony?

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Hooked. That’s because you don’t live in Florida where “fresh” seafood is always available off the boat. 

M8

Well,  that means for all cruisers who don't live in seafood state will enjoy. The same would apply for those who don't live in a beef state. For those who love lamb and don't live in NZ, Austraila and Colorado will enjoy. 

Regardless,  never lived in Wonderland, but really like Wonderland food and experience. 

What's your favourite on RCI?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Well,  that means for all cruisers who don't live in seafood state will enjoy. The same would apply for those who don't live in a beef state. For those who love lamb and don't live in NZ, Austraila and Colorado will enjoy. 

Regardless,  never lived in Wonderland, but really like Wonderland food and experience. 

What's your favourite on RCI?

Colorado has good beef. The company I worked for was based in Colorado. I was out there at a minimum once a QTR. Texas pretty good too. 

All the seafood as most every meat onboard is frozen. Nothing better than fresh fish off the boat. 

We’ve had several good Chiefs Table. We did Jamie’s on Harmony and thought it to be ok. We are not much for dressing up. We typically eat in the CK or WJ otherwise.  The boss got I’ll after eating in Izumi and will no longer get near it. Lol. Although we haven’t cruised since 2018, we were looking forward to Allure in Barcelona but just cancelled that one. We are booked on Mariner 7 night, Odyssey 8 night, and Harmony 7 night late 2021 early 2022. 

M8

4 hours ago, crusingcouple said:

We recently did the UDP on Harmony and we really enjoyed experiencing the atmosphere in each of the restaurants.  Each brought something unique.

I think a 3-night package will be the sweet spot for us moving forward.  

We have done the Udp on several cruises and over time we have grown to prefer the 3 night dining package much better especially on ships when we have access to coastal kitchen.  There are certain meals we like in the mdr  just like they are foods we like in windjammer as well as parks.   

I recommend the 3 night package.  We usually buy on sale for $79pp.

Ok who can book me for 630 tomorrow in giovannis?  I'm ready!!

• Like 1

We nearly always get the UDP but it can be too much of a good thing.  If your cruise has lots of sea days, it can be difficult (for us, anyway), to eat lunch and dinner in a SR for days in a row.  We love the option of lunch on embarkation day vs having to fight for seats at other lunchtime venues.  

Put us in the 1 and done Club for Wonderland. We really did not enjoy the food at all.  It’s just too odd.  I guess we’re simple eaters. We started out with a group of 8 and by the time the meal was over, there were 2 left. Some really love it. We do enjoy The World though.  Sometimes we will eat dinner somewhere and just pop by Wonderland just for dessert.

I really like the UDP options on the ships with the ala carte options (Playmakers, BBQ, etc).  It’s nice to be able to grab a few bites from a number of different places throughout the day and still enjoy a sit-down meal later.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OneParticularHarbour 71 said:

We did a Lift & Shift to the Symphony as well and are also considering purchasing the UDP.   Is there a list of what venues are included?  Does it include Johnny Rockets and Playmakers?  

Wonderland

Chops

Jamies

150 CP

Izumi

Hibachi (possibly a $10 surcharge)

Hooked

Johnny Rockets

Pkaymakers

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

We do a 3 specialities on all cruises except Oasis class where we do 5 specialities

Never done a UDP, but didn't realise you could have lunch as well, so have just changed my preferences for Oasis class trips

Thanks CC

Personally, and this is my opinion of my family, we are not foodies. I know for a fact that 90% of what they have at Wonderland would not be eaten by my daughter and I. My wife would maybe eat 50%. That would be a complete waste. While researching the $179 per person, you have to pay extra for Izumi which we would enjoy once or twice. Reviews I have seen of Chops Grill have it as not being that great of a place with meat that is not prime and not much different than the MDR (but those are opinions of others). We will opt for the 3 dinner package for our first cruise to make opinions on our own. 

I would consider it depending on lunch options as Windjammer is not appropriately sized on this class of ship and standing in long lines to get into a buffet has zero appeal any longer.  If I could have specialty lunches each day with UDP may be worth it.  Including port days 

Thanks for all the input.  We will definitely either go with the three day or UDP for our cruise.  I did look at the menus and it seems that Hooked would be our best bet since my guys love seafood.  Although we would try the other restaurants with the UDP, none of the food sounded to die for like Hooked.  We live in San Diego, and even though we live on the ocean, we don't get really good seafood like you do in the Gulf of Mexico.  So we are not spoiled... except when we visit relatives in Texas. 🙂 

I am leaning toward the UDP only because we would love to have sushi every night.  And I think Habachi would be fun (even with the surcharge).  I do love the dining room because we get to know our wait staff and on every single RC cruise, we have loved them.  We went on the Adventure twice and although it was a year from the first cruise, our wait staff still remembered us and our names!!!  I thought that was pretty incredible.  We have never had a bad experience in the dining room on RC.  Now, Carnival is a different story, but that is for a different board.  lol.  

• Like 1

I am a eat what you want and enjoy it. For my family who like great dinners thats a HUGE part of vacation for us. Because with a 18 and 16 YO its when we re connect. If you can afford UDP sounds like a great option. I will definitely look into it for our next cruise. The one thing is to not stress about eating your moneys worth just enjoy the meals and food you want. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Colorado has good beef. The company I worked for was based in Colorado. I was out there at a minimum once a QTR. Texas pretty good too. 

All the seafood as most every meat onboard is frozen. Nothing better than fresh fish off the boat. 

We’ve had several good Chiefs Table. We did Jamie’s on Harmony and thought it to be ok. We are not much for dressing up. We typically eat in the CK or WJ otherwise.  The boss got I’ll after eating in Izumi and will no longer get near it. Lol. Although we haven’t cruised since 2018, we were looking forward to Allure in Barcelona but just cancelled that one. We are booked on Mariner 7 night, Odyssey 8 night, and Harmony 7 night late 2021 early 2022. 

M8

Stationed in Denver (4 years)  and lived in Colorado Springs (19 years.)  Nebraska had the best beef.

Never did like Jamies. Chief Table hot and cold,  depends on ship.

We loved to dress up. Tux and long gowns. Now suit and evening dress. 

I love sushi as I spent 3 years in Japan. Lived as a local. Try all food. 

Wife got sick one year in FLL on sushi. Had to bring her on ship in wheel chair. Took to Ship Dr., gave her a shot,  2 hour later, back to normal. 

We eat lite, but enjoy SRs. At $25.57/person/meal you can't beat it. X is charging $50 for their SRs. We think NCL has the best SRs for price and food. MSC SRs has the lowest price pkg, food subjective.

We canceled MSC 7 and RCI 7 put of Venice in June 2020. Probably will cancel Oasis and Allure for Nov 2020. 

Questionable Feb 2021 NCL Bliss 16 day Panama Canal from FLL to Los Angeles.

Only time will tell. 

Stay Safe! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Have not packed a suit or tie since 2015. If I find a need to dress up, I’ll rent a Tux onboard. 

It doesn’t bother us a bit if you like to dress up. 

M8

I knew it would not. I have always wore Class As and suites when I worked. I don't dress too please others, I dress to please myself.

That is why we like to use the SRs as we can get a table for two at night.  This way we dress up and don't offend others who do not. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, compman9 said:

We do a 3 specialities on all cruises except Oasis class where we do 5 specialities

Never done a UDP, but didn't realise you could have lunch as well, so have just changed my preferences for Oasis class trips

Thanks CC

Lunch included only on sea days.  happy eating

6 hours ago, jp2746 said:

Thanks for all the input.  We will definitely either go with the three day or UDP for our cruise.  I did look at the menus and it seems that Hooked would be our best bet since my guys love seafood.  Although we would try the other restaurants with the UDP, none of the food sounded to die for like Hooked.  We live in San Diego, and even though we live on the ocean, we don't get really good seafood like you do in the Gulf of Mexico.  So we are not spoiled... except when we visit relatives in Texas. 🙂 

I am leaning toward the UDP only because we would love to have sushi every night.  And I think Habachi would be fun (even with the surcharge).  I do love the dining room because we get to know our wait staff and on every single RC cruise, we have loved them.  We went on the Adventure twice and although it was a year from the first cruise, our wait staff still remembered us and our names!!!  I thought that was pretty incredible.  We have never had a bad experience in the dining room on RC.  Now, Carnival is a different story, but that is for a different board.  lol.  

You need to make all your reservations as soon as you board to have the most options.  Usually long lines at all the venues and the kiosk in the promenade.  Head up to Wonderland to make all your reservations, seems like there is never a line. Took no longer then 10 minutes to make 11 reservations.  My wife makes all the reservations as I patiently wait for her return at Trellis bar. 11:30 am Gin and Tonic gets me off to a good start.   

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Lunch included only on sea days.  happy eating

Actually, lunch is included if the restaurant is open.  Playmakers, Sabor, Portside BBQ open early afternoon on lots of the port days.  Easy to go there for a late lunch especially if you have a late dinner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Actually, lunch is included if the restaurant is open.  Playmakers, Sabor, Portside BBQ open early afternoon on lots of the port days.  Easy to go there for a late lunch especially if you have a late dinner. 

FOR UDP, lunch part of pkg if a sea day. Not open on port days.