Sardinia/ Cagliari

P&O SUE

I know I should put this in “ports of call” section really but I’m hoping the mods will be kind. I don’t always find I get many replies on there.

If our cruise goes ahead next year we have a stop at Cagliari. We’ve never been there before. Is there plenty to do/see there Or should we go off on a tour of the island?

For what it’s worth, we had a cruise booked for there, cancelled of course, but after doing the research we were really looking forward to it and planned just to spend the day wandering and exploring. We reckoned there was plenty to see and do, but others may disagree.

Harry

• Like 1

Cagliari isn t very large and we decided that as it might be our only visit that we would do a tour of the island.We just hopped on one of the large minibuses for a tour of the island to get a general view but if we visited again we would explore independantly

• Like 1

We did the HOHO bus tour years ago but didn't find it that interesting. In 2017 we found a bus tour company in the port area offering return trips to Poetto Beach. A return ticket didn't cost much and it was first come first served for the return journey so you could just go to the drop-off area anytime and wait for the bus to pick you up.

I'm not much of a beach person but that became one of my favourites. There are various buildings on the beach (mostly bars) with their own section of sunbeds. We chose one that was more like a pavilion with showers, changing rooms and a shop. I can't remember the cost but it was family friendly with a pleasant atmosphere. The sea was extremely calm and as a non-swimmer I was confident enough to go a long way out, even up to my neck.

On our return we had drinks outside the bar on the strip opposite the port. Michelle and I decided to get a simple spaghetti with ragu and I managed to get a fork full before Kyle (who didn't want anything) scoffed the lot.

Any excuse to post a few photos... 

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

• Like 3

We have stopped at Cagliari twice, and with no accessible tours of interest we wandered about and eventually ended up in a park area with a little cafe. Most streets go uphill from the port area so we stayed on the port side but there is no lengthy promenade, other than a boardwalk stretch over an inlet of sorts.

The town is a bit rundown, so nothing really to tempt us to stay ashore too long.

• Like 1

Just now, terrierjohn said:

We have stopped at Cagliari twice, and with no accessible tours of interest we wandered about and eventually ended up in a park area with a little cafe. Most streets go uphill from the port area so we stayed on the port side but there is no lengthy promenade, other than a boardwalk stretch over an inlet of sorts.

The town is a bit rundown, so nothing really to tempt us to stay ashore too long.

Thanks John, so perhaps a tour or Damian’s bus 🤔

5 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I know I should put this in “ports of call” section really but I’m hoping the mods will be kind. I don’t always find I get many replies on there.

If our cruise goes ahead next year we have a stop at Cagliari. We’ve never been there before. Is there plenty to do/see there Or should we go off on a tour of the island?

When we went to Cagliari we went on a cruise line tour to a cave system, known as Neptunes Cave.  The small craft actually goes into the cave disembarks all passengers then sails off.  A very extensive system and very cool as caves always are.

Regars John

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

We went to the archeology site at Nora. The coach took a tour round town first. Lovely views on the way to site and enjoyed it. Very open so need sun hat. 

Oh, I’ve been there - but I had forgotten that it was an excursion from Cagliari. Unfortunately the photos are in the loft as they are pre-digital, but I also recommend the excursion 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've been once and used the HOHO bus. We had a nice leisurely ride around and then had a lovely esspresso and squidgy cake in a cafe opposite the port. If we went again I'd like to tour Nora. It's not a port that I'd mind not seeing again, but we can always find something to do wherever we go, even if it's sitting at an outside  cafe with a coffee

watching the world go by.

Avril

• Like 2