Fingers Crossed MSC sails from US Soon. But when?

Fogfog

29 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I wish I could help you out, but it does seem that this Order is designed to defeat cruising.....

CDC = Completely Defeating Cruising..... 

Well, Dr. Martin Cetron of the CDC is a real winner. 

Long before role in cruise travel warnings and massive regulatory reopening "plan," openly argumentative about cruise even lines selling future cruise (Yahoo interview) ~ "it's astonishing and it's heartbreaking." 

Long before governments closing schools and then schools remaining closed ~ co-wrote public health report in 2010 on "Better Off in School," a study of the public health strategy during the 1918-1919 pandemic.

Was against massive airport thermal (in January of 2020) screening for arriving passengers ~ "prior epidemics suggest when people are informed, they are usually compliance with quarantine orders.  But if not implemented properly "it induces fear and stigma of individuals, if people are treated with dignity and respect."

And the winner of all time, referenced and acknowledged as coining (was it the 15-day?) term FLATTEN THE CURVE ~ "over bad Thai food across the river from Dartmouth at a Vermont restaurant."

This is the example of the personal 'bent and the leadership at the CDC.

Martin Cetron, MD, is the Director for the Division of Global Migration and Quarantine (DGMQ) at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

And the winner of all time, referenced and acknowledged as coining (was it the 15-day?) term FLATTEN THE CURVE

yes we had that same nonsense over here from the Sage Cartel of so called Government scientists who have yet to get a thing right.

25 minutes ago, sidari said:

And the winner of all time, referenced and acknowledged as coining (was it the 15-day?) term FLATTEN THE CURVE

yes we had that same nonsense over here from the Sage Cartel of so called Government scientists who have yet to get a thing right.

Yep.  There even is a lot more.

He also coined the term "bankruptcy of trust" when  "people lose confidence and falsehoods spread faster than the disease."  Well, re: Dr. Cetron and the CDC, there is a "bankruptcy of trust" based upon performance.

While enjoying the holidays in 2019 "he told family and friends about a new virus in China he worried could affect the whole world."  I guess the rest of us, under his regulatory safety net, aren't akin to family and friends?

He also described cruise ships as "sardine can density" of the "most vulnerable people."  There was no mention of the "density of weak and already dying elderly in nursing homes."

Instead of investing time in the risk factors of death from the data, he appeared obsessed with cruise ships.  "Poor planning by the industry" was his lament; yet he, as head of CDC Director for the Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, was failing miserable "ON LAND."

Then, now engaged in full confrontation with superiors and in a civil act of disobedience, refused to signed a subordinated draft order "to make the case that Canada and Mexico represent a big risk on land border based on what we 'believe' is occurring."  His reason, "it's just morally wrong to use a public authority...to keep Hispanics out of the country."  Really, COVID 19 has no race or ethnicity sword or shieldSuch is as professionally unethical as assuring that large demonstrations pose no risk of spread, but all other gatherings do.

Yes, this is the guy that, during an online talk in August hosted by Dartmouth College, said "And if there's a bankruptcy of trust...it can really be tough."

Well, he got that right.

• Like 1

Alright, I am going to say it, it is just Covid-19.  It is not cancer, it is not diabetes, it is not the plague.  No cruise ship sailing in the Caribbean had cases of Covid-19.  Australia and Korea are half-way around the world. 

MSC should resume cruises to the Caribbean.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

We know that hospitalizations and death rates lag behind cases. The surge in hospitalizations has already began. So expect a surge in deaths from November.

Hospitalizations will be up as the mandatory "Covid 19 only" reservation of facilities for the Spring wave has begun to bankrupt many local and regional hospitals and cause others to be serious and dire financial condition.  So, hospitals aren't shutting down "everything else" currently.  The concept of lag time would show in the historic charts presented; see them?

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Anyone can get deadly ill when the disease stimulates the body's immune system to attack a vital organ. Not just the elderly...

“A fitness "influencer" who thought COVID-19 did not exist has died from the virus at the age of 33...”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/influencer-dmitriy-stuzhuk-dies-covid-032800603.html

Therefore, everyone is potentially at risk. Unless you have a crystal ball.

The focus should be on the minute <1 % that are at-risk of death from infection.  

Everything else is a waste of resources, medical and financial.

So what if "a" 33 year old got it?  More Covid 19 "non-at-risk" populations die from the flu and pneumonia; yet we don't (and haven't) shut down.

If the threshold is some "one" outside of the at-risk of death categories dies the globe of 8 billion people cannot 'shelter in place in the basement.

They're having Halloween parades with THOUSANDS in Wuhan, China!!

6 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

Yes, this is the guy that, during an online talk in August hosted by Dartmouth College, said "And if there's a bankruptcy of trust...it can really be tough."

Well, he got that right.

Ladies and Gentlemen:  that bankruptcy of trust is exactly the current problem in trying to control this pandemic.  Trust has been squandered. 

Does this CDC announcement of Friday have anything to do with November 3rd?    

• Like 1

So went in to see what availability looked like for Jan/Feb out of FL and almost every cruise I selected all of a sudden says its unavailable because its completely sold out. Hmmmm... Perhaps plans are in the works to modify sailings ir are they sold out with now limited capacity? 

Will check again tomorrow. Could be website maintenance. 

On 10/31/2020 at 9:18 PM, BoundForSea said:

So went in to see what availability looked like for Jan/Feb out of FL and almost every cruise I selected all of a sudden says its unavailable because its completely sold out. Hmmmm... Perhaps plans are in the works to modify sailings ir are they sold out with now limited capacity? 

Will check again tomorrow. Could be website maintenance. 

We have a B2B then... suspect we will have to rebook for 2021

If the cruise lines have been proactive-- and taking a page from MSC-- then I would guess they can be sailing by March from Miami?

That said-- no one knows what will happen after Inaguration.. 

On 10/31/2020 at 2:32 PM, HappyInVan said:

Are you blaming the scientists for the 24k cases reported yesterday??? 🙄

Cases! Not Deaths but Cases, most of who are not ill!   50,000 cancer patients missed so far up to the end of October! Less than 1% of deaths in the UK, majority of which are in the over 80's range and had underlying health issues. Hospitals are responsible for a large % of those who have died having caught the virus while in Hospital.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sidari said:

Cases! Not Deaths but Cases, most of who are not ill!   50,000 cancer patients missed so far up to the end of October! Less than 1% of deaths in the UK, majority of which are in the over 80's range and had underlying health issues. Hospitals are responsible for a large % of those who have died having caught the virus while in Hospital.

Good luck to the UK on its second wave...

Global covid deaths extended rolling 7D Nov 7.JPG

8 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Good luck to the UK on its second wave...

Global covid deaths extended rolling 7D Nov 7.JPG

You do realise that the numbers each day are from the previous 28 days and not previous 24 hours ? Many of those recorded as Covid are not correct because many died due to or with Covid. A person testing positive Today who in 21 days time dies due to a road accident is classed as Covid! There are Thousands more instances also.

Edited by sidari
  • Like 2

Not many books will not be written about the fear generated among the miserably ill-informed masses about COVID-19. Only Mr Berenson's books have any play, and then only on some media outlets. Most books, were they to be written, would be by the academics who fostered this fear.  Once we had enough data to know that infection rate (spread or positive test) did not mean disease (severe illness or hospitalization) or death (whether co-morbid or not) the academics and CDC bureaucrats should have put out reasonable information. Unfortunately, for the world's people and economies we in the US were in the midst of the presidential election.  Politics and rhetoric will always override sane discourse.

With the US election results, I fear in the short-term the CDC bureaucrats will have their way and get back at the cruise industry for daring to challenge them. 

• Like 4

On 10/31/2020 at 12:38 PM, Geobugs said:

Alright, I am going to say it, it is just Covid-19.  It is not cancer, it is not diabetes, it is not the plague.  No cruise ship sailing in the Caribbean had cases of Covid-19.  Australia and Korea are half-way around the world. 

MSC should resume cruises to the Caribbean.

Agree!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

With the US election results, I fear in the short-term the CDC bureaucrats will have their way and get back at the cruise industry for daring to challenge them. 

Guys,

The election is over. 🙄 You can stand down.

• Like 4

The CDC has given at least some MSC ships green status, which means they can bring staff back and get ready to allow passengers.  Doesn't say which ships:

"There's more good news. The CDC's table of ship status for vessels in U.S. jurisdiction shows a total of 33 ships with "Green" status for crew changes as of the CDC's November 3, 2020 update (the list can be 

, and is updated on Tuesdays).

Vessels from Bahamas Paradise, Celebrity, Disney Cruise Line, MSC, Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania, and Royal Caribbean all have green status, save for Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas, which is red.

"If a cruise line is not listed, it means the cruise line is not operating and does not plan to operate any of its ships in U.S. waters during the period of the No Sail Order," states the CDC."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KennyFla said:

The CDC has given at least some MSC ships green status, which means they can bring staff back and get ready to allow passengers.  Doesn't say which ships:

"There's more good news. The CDC's table of ship status for vessels in U.S. jurisdiction shows a total of 33 ships with "Green" status for crew changes as of the CDC's November 3, 2020 update (the list can be 

, and is updated on Tuesdays).

Vessels from Bahamas Paradise, Celebrity, Disney Cruise Line, MSC, Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania, and Royal Caribbean all have green status, save for Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas, which is red.

"If a cruise line is not listed, it means the cruise line is not operating and does not plan to operate any of its ships in U.S. waters during the period of the No Sail Order," states the CDC."

Thank you for this information! I will be checking on it periodically to see which ships have gotten the green light. 😃

49 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

Travel stocks responded very positively to this news. Now we wait for approval. 

• Like 1

Details of green light given to  Transport of Crew (side note, there are no CCL ships listed, could this be due to the ongoing environmental issues?). Also side note, it looks like the green light was only given to ships already in US waters. Could that be because ships overseas will not be using commercial transportation (they will transfer crew on their own vessels). I'm a bit confused on the details and don't have time to dig right now if anyone has links to share. I appreciate those of you who stay on-top of these developments.

image.png.df766397b70a8fe19ca06ee0f3458e02.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Travel stocks responded very positively to this news. Now we wait for approval. 

We bought RCCL back when everyone was running around with their hair on fire 🙂

In fact we did a lot of rebalancing and buying. So far so good

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Details of green light given to  Transport of Crew (side note, there are no CCL ships listed, could this be due to the ongoing environmental issues?). Also side note, it looks like the green light was only given to ships already in US waters. Could that be because ships overseas will not be using commercial transportation (they will transfer crew on their own vessels). I'm a bit confused on the details and don't have time to dig right now if anyone has links to share. I appreciate those of you who stay on-top of these developments.

image.png.df766397b70a8fe19ca06ee0f3458e02.png

TY for this

DH has been watching WHERE the ships are --and have been 

He noted the # of ships and mused if this was in prep.

Hopeful for MSC-- as we have a B2B in early 2021. IF they have been proactive - they may make the deadlines for our sailings... We just don't know how far down the pipeline of prep they have gone.

I did read on an Fb page that crew (known personally to the poster) had been told weeks ago to get affairs in p=order to travel to Miami. When/how timing wasn't specified. Just that it was an optimistic sign

5 hours ago, Fogfog said:

We bought RCCL back when everyone was running around with their hair on fire 🙂

For you, hopefully it will prove as beneficial as when I bought RCI when cruise stock prices tanked during the Great Recession.

I have kept my positions in RCI as well as CCL.  If today's news seems to continue to be good, may be time to invest a bit more in the industry.  

• Like 1

I bought CCL back in early 2009 and have received $$$ in OBC over that past 10 years or so.  Bought RCL a couple of years ago and haven't sailed them but have an X booking for mid-March (fingers crossed) that was dirt cheap (a very special fare offered by my TA) and they accepted the SH credit.

Here's what else I have my fingers crossed about - hoping the new administration will life those travel restrictions to Cuba.  I was on the next-to-last sailing on Armonia in May 2019 that made the stop there.  Absolutely loved Havana and very much want to return.