Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Here's an old Cunard bridge webcam image captured 7-8 years ago. For full points, name the port, name both ships, and provide the date of the image.

image.png.0ca6c656b0353a8bf211f1e87e5a0b37.png

It's 1:30am where I am, so I'm off to bed. It will be a few hours until I can provide any feedback on your answers.

Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary in Long Beach on March 12, 2013.

• Like 2

Hi everyone.  Here are my two contributions for the day.  Pre-refit QV at anchor, and QE at dock.  Both maiden calls to very small places. A hint on QV - it is the same part of the world as a recent bluemarble post.

sf

image.thumb.png.23b039b6531ea0228230e13299a6cbcc.png

image.thumb.png.abc85b4a48c2cf74d9d356ea103998a5.png

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Is that Queen Mary on the far left? At Long Beach.

That's correct.

1 hour ago, l2luv2cruise said:

Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary in Long Beach on March 12, 2013.

Full marks for getting all the details.

Here's a different "ABC7" webcam image showing some of the events later that evening.

image.png.19d7f65dbee066d878cb5c4f8cc74bd2.png

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 2:05 PM, bluemarble said:

Here's my contribution for today from my webcam archives. This is QM2 approaching the port. If a hint is needed, I don't think we've posted anything from this country on this thread yet.

image.png.73e6e6d168d5b2ee53dc3317787bca3b.png

This one is still unsolved, I think.

17 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Host Hattie correctly identified that one (and the subsequent departure shot) as Adelaide yesterday, per these posts.

On 9/7/2020 at 9:19 AM, Host Hattie said:

I'm going to guess that's Adelaide 

On 9/7/2020 at 9:36 AM, bluemarble said:

Correct. That's the webcam at Outer Harbor at the port of Adelaide, South Australia as seen in February 2012. Checking itineraries, that would have been QM2's third visit to Adelaide. I'm kind of surprised to see they don't use the British spelling "Harbour" rather than "Harbor".

I think one that's yet to be solved is this one from sogne, along with his follow-up clues.

On 9/5/2020 at 6:08 PM, sogne said:

plenty of room once in but a very narrow entrance which has no doubt limited calls here

been in once professionally

rst.JPG

On 9/6/2020 at 5:33 PM, sogne said:

its seems a clue is needed  this port requires a 20-30 minute shuttle to the main attraction

On 9/7/2020 at 3:22 AM, sogne said:

original port not a change

On 9/7/2020 at 6:03 AM, sogne said:

Xmas cruise

On 9/7/2020 at 3:36 PM, bluemarble said:

Correct. That's the webcam at Outer Harbor at the port of Adelaide, South Australia as seen in February 2012. Checking itineraries, that would have been QM2's third visit to Adelaide. I'm kind of surprised to see they don't use the British spelling "Harbour" rather than "Harbor".

20 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It was Adelaide, we still have one of @sogne's unidentified, Christmas cruise with a shuttle ride

Host Hattie is correct on Kangaroo Island.  Photo taken from the B23 road on the hill leading down to Penneshaw, during QV's 2016 world voyage segment in Australia.  It was QV's maiden call to Kangaroo Island. 

Bluemarble is also correct on Kodiak Alaska.  Photo taken during QE's 2019 voyage to Alaska.  Kodiak was our first Alaska port after the transpacific crossing from Japan, and was QE's maiden call at this port.

Well done to both!

sf

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Host Hattie correctly identified that one (and the subsequent departure shot) as Adelaide yesterday, per these posts.

I think one that's yet to be solved is this one from sogne, along with his follow-up clues.

last clues arriving and departure of port and for football fans Jose Mourinho first made his name at the club associated with this port

Leixoes Arrival (2).JPG

Leixoes Departure (4).JPG

Oops! Another thing that leads to Oporto is that the latest attachments are named "Leixoes Arrival (2).JPG" and "Leixoes Departure (4).JPG".

I think one thing that threw off my earlier investigations is that Oporto/Leixões now has a fancy cruise terminal which was apparently opened in 2015 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porto_Leixões_Cruise_Terminal). According to the itineraries I have, those photos would have been from either the 2011 or 2012 Christmas cruise. I imagine the cruise ship berths looked a bit different back then.

4 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

This one seems to have got lost.  It was taken from the city walls.

I was wondering about that one. The port was fairly clear from your description, but I hadn't been able to figure out where specifically that photo was taken. I had been trying to work out the angle from nearby hotels without success. Thanks for the update.