Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

A frivolous thought. I suppose we can't have the QEII Terminal in Southampton? 😀

Once again, I like your creative thinking here. Yeah, it probably is stretching the premise too far to include the names of terminals in addition to ports. I think this effort is worth an honorable mention though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluemarble said:

Once again, I like your creative thinking here. Yeah, it probably is stretching the premise too far to include the names of terminals in addition to ports. I think this effort is worth an honorable mention though.

You are very kind. After all, the ships have spent a lot of time there. I was also wondering if any of the ships have ever been to a port in the Aquitaine area of France, but suspect not.

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

You are very kind. After all, the ships have spent a lot of time there. I was also wondering if any of the ships have ever been to a port in the Aquitaine area of France, but suspect not.

Alas, I see QE2 was in Le Verdon (for Bordeaux) which would qualify as Aquitaine, France. But I'm not seeing any of the current fleet has called there.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

I know I'm exceeding my daily quota, but did you know St. Nazaire is in the Loire-Atlantique area of France. So one of the ships was born at a Q.

Not only born there, but QM2 called at St Nazaire in 2017 as part of the charter called "The Bridge 2017". Another creative solution that I'd say qualifies for inclusion on our list. Well done, even if you have exceeded your quota for the day. May have to cut you off tomorrow. 😀

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'm finally finding a good match to these buildings in Hilo, Hawaii.

Correct!

Good work by everybody trying to find this port! It is Hilo, Hawaii.

Mouna Loa rises to approx. 4170 meters but being an active vulcano this can change.

Edited by carlmm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Alas, I see QE2 was in Le Verdon (for Bordeaux) which would qualify as Aquitaine, France. But I'm not seeing any of the current fleet has called there.

Not only born there, but QM2 called at St Nazaire in 2017 as part of the charter called "The Bridge 2017". Another creative solution that I'd say qualifies for inclusion on our list. Well done, even if you have exceeded your quota for the day. May have to cut you off tomorrow. 😀

Although it doesn’t strictly count as a port visited by the current fleet, it would be a pity not to give a shout for Queenstown, the name by which Cobh was known for around 70 years until 1920 (ish).  It would have seen a lot of Cunard calls in those days,  and of course under its current name it still gets regular visits.

6 minutes ago, tiggis said:

Although it doesn’t strictly count as a port visited by the current fleet, it would be a pity not to give a shout for Queenstown, the name by which Cobh was known for around 70 years until 1920 (ish).  It would have seen a lot of Cunard calls in those days,  and of course under its current name it still gets regular visits.

Thanks for that comment. Queenstown is certainly worth a mention. I figured that might have been where @exlondoner was headed with this earlier comment near the beginning of this 'q' ports game.

On 10/27/2020 at 11:45 AM, exlondoner said:

I assume it needs to be the current name? 😀

On 10/27/2020 at 12:00 PM, bluemarble said:

I think know where you're headed with that one. Yes, let's keep it to the current name. ...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Once I finally figured out that flag in the background is the flag of Egypt, the rest fell into place quickly.

I think this is Alexandria, Egypt.

Perfect, again!

As we had a webcam shot before, this photo just adds an actual in port view.

23 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Who is this captain, and where is he now?

That's David 'Polly' Perkins.

We first met him on Crown Dynasty. Not long before they sold the ship.

Then on Royal Viking Sun. Just before they transferred it to Seabourn.

We sailed with him on the last voyage of Vistafjord.

And the last voyage of Caronia.

To be blunt, the man was a jinx.

I told him this the last time we met. On QE2. Just before they announced she had been sold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Sorry I meant Gdynia. We spent the day in Gdansk and returned via Sopot. I vividly remember hopping over the coal dust on the quay. The adjacent building holds a rather good museum about emigration from Gdynia, where we didn't have time to go. The trip to Gdansk was probably the most enjoyable Cunard trip I've been on.

the source of the coal dust?

Gdynia departure (4).JPG

I'm away from my computer for the rest of the day, so I'm hoping to use tomorrow's "Q" port contribution in advance.  Also, it is already "tomorrow" here in Australia, so perhaps I can be excused?

This one may not be labeled as such on @bluemarble's itineraries.  On 7 March 2018 QV called at Costa Maya Mexico on the Yucatan peninsula.  Mexico has 32 states, and the state where Costa Maya is located is

Costa Maya, Quintana Roo, Mexico

What I can't determine is whether any of the current Queens have been to Cozumel, which is also in Quintana Roo state.  Cozumel is certainly a common port for many ships from other lines, but I can't find a definite reference to Cunard.  Cozumel also shows as a possible destination on the Cunard web site, but clicking on "find voyages" brings up an error page that no voyage can be found to match the filters. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sfred said:

I'm away from my computer for the rest of the day, so I'm hoping to use tomorrow's "Q" port contribution in advance.  Also, it is already "tomorrow" here in Australia, so perhaps I can be excused?

This one may not be labeled as such on @bluemarble's itineraries.  On 7 March 2018 QV called at Costa Maya Mexico on the Yucatan peninsula.  Mexico has 32 states, and the state where Costa Maya is located is

Costa Maya, Quintana Roo, Mexico

What I can't determine is whether any of the current Queens have been to Cozumel, which is also in Quintana Roo state.  Cozumel is certainly a common port for many ships from other lines, but I can't find a definite reference to Cunard.  Cozumel also shows as a possible destination on the Cunard web site, but clicking on "find voyages" brings up an error page that no voyage can be found to match the filters. 

This 'q' port game keeps growing and growing. I'm obviously not up on either all of the departments in France or all of the states in Mexico. As you have surmised, my itineraries don't include that level of detail. I'm glad to see others are finding ports that I hadn't considered when I started this little quiz.

Well done for identifying the state of Quintana Roo in Mexico as the home of Cunard cruise ports. QV has indeed called at Costa Maya and my itineraries for QM2 indicate she called at Cozumel three times in 2006 (during one of those Caribbean seasons when she was racking up all those calls at St Thomas). I'll accept both Costa Maya and Cozumel as answers and count you as one day ahead of the game. 😉