Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

9 hours ago, exlondoner said:

You are very kind. After all, the ships have spent a lot of time there. I was also wondering if any of the ships have ever been to a port in the Aquitaine area of France, but suspect not.

Yes, l was on a voyage when Queen Mary 2 called at Le Verdon. I’ve not seen it on any Cunard itineraries since.

17 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

17 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Very interesting. Do you have the date for that call at Le Verdon by QM2? I'd like to update my itineraries.

I do have the date from my photos 18th July 2009.

4845F953-62C7-4810-80B2-78BF726461B8.jpeg

Edited by Yaldi

19 minutes ago, Yaldi said:

I do have the date from my photos 18th July 2009.

4845F953-62C7-4810-80B2-78BF726461B8.jpeg

Thank you for that. My itineraries have QM2 in La Rochelle, France on 18th July 2009. Looks like that may have been a schedule change to substitute Le Verdon for La Rochelle then.

Edit to add: Welcome to Cruise Critic, by the way. Always good to see a new name on this Cunard forum.

Edited by bluemarble

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Thank you for that. My itineraries have QM2 in La Rochelle, France on 18th July 2009. Looks like that may have been an itinerary change to substitute Le Verdon for La Rochelle then.

Correct, though l would need to get my log out to see if l recorded the reason for the alteration. By coincidence, l have also been into La Rochelle twice with Cunard, once on Queen Elizabeth 2 (2006) and more recently on Queen Elizabeth (2018).

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Alas, I see QE2 was in Le Verdon (for Bordeaux) which would qualify as Aquitaine, France. But I'm not seeing any of the current fleet has called there.

I was on the QM2 in July 2009 when we went to Le Verdon.

image.thumb.jpeg.1dce137c12586cb67ab4353fd30acd14.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.79b76c8d230c648a9cb04b0cc017eba8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1f1f2196174e7d6e5502702ca9dbd00a.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

I was on the QM2 in July 2009 when we went to Le Verdon. ...

Duly noted on my itineraries to now show Le Verdon instead of La Rochelle for QM2 on 18th July 2009. And that constitutes a new entry for our 'q' port game: "Le Verdon, Aquitaine, France".

Thanks for those photos. Looks like you received quite a reception for that call at Le Verdon.

Edited by bluemarble

Here's a photo of mine taken during departure from a port we haven't seen here yet. Full disclosure: this photo was taken from a ship on another cruise line, but this has been a port for all three of the current Cunard ships.

The reason I'm stretching the premise of this thread is because this photo is also part of our game to name ports for the current Cunard fleet containing the letter 'q' anywhere in their names. This is the port I've mentioned in previous posts where the letter 'q' is found in an alternate name for the port, not in the name of the port's city (similar to how the port for Fort Lauderdale is known as Port Everglades). You may recall I've also given the hint that this port is in the Middle East.

Feel free to just identify the city for this port if you'd rather only play the port photo identification game. Or go ahead and identify the full port name containing the letter 'q' if you'd like to play that game as well.

Also, feel free to join in and identify this port even if you've already contributed to our 'q' ports for today or would like to contribute another 'q' port later today.

image.thumb.png.3b5467084f86ee2fdbdebbd649c29b03.png

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a photo of mine taken during departure from a port we haven't seen here yet. Full disclosure: this photo was taken from a ship on another cruise line, but this has been a port for all three of the current Cunard ships.

The reason I'm stretching the premise of this thread is because this photo is also part of our game to name ports for the current Cunard fleet containing the letter 'q' anywhere in their names. This is the port I've mentioned in previous posts where the letter 'q' is found in an alternate name for the port, not in the name of the port's city (similar to how the port for Fort Lauderdale is known as Port Everglades). You may recall I've also given the hint that this port is in the Middle East.

Feel free to just identify the city for this port if you'd rather only play the port photo identification game. Or go ahead and identify the full port name containing the letter 'q' if you'd like to play that game as well.

Also, feel free to join in and identify this port even if you've already contributed to our 'q' ports for today or would like to contribute another 'q' port later today.

image.thumb.png.3b5467084f86ee2fdbdebbd649c29b03.png

I venture to say Muscat.

• Like 1

Here's today's update on our 'q' ports game. I had no idea when I started this a few days ago that the list would grow to more than 20 ports!

1. Quebec City, Quebec
2. Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3. Whitsunday Islands, Queensland, Australia
4. Cairns, Queensland, Australia
5. Coquimbo, Chile
6. Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala
7. Yorkeys Knob, Queensland, Australia
8. Fort-de-France, Martinique
9. Aqaba, Jordan
10. Sarande, Shqipëri (Albania)
11. Gladstone, Queensland, Australia
12. Doha, Qatar
13. Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia
14. Sept-Iles, Quebec, Canada
15. South Queensferry, Scotland
16. Saint-Nazaire, Loire-Atlantique, France
17. Costa Maya/Mahahual, Quintana Roo, Mexico
18. Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico
19. Le Verdon, Aquitaine, France
20. Gaspé, Quebec, Canada
21. Port Sultan Qaboos, Muscat, Oman

I have lumped Costa Maya and Mahahual, Mexico together on this list. Mahahual is listed as a port call for QM2 three times in 2006. My understanding is that Costa Maya is also the cruise port for neighboring Mahahual, but the situation may have been different for those calls by QM2 back in 2006.

Another 'q' port I am aware of in the Middle East is "Port Tawfiq, Suez, Eqypt". Now Suez is often listed on itineraries as if it were a port of call. But I don't know if that has ever been a true port call as opposed to a cruise-by or staging outside the port of Suez in connection with a Suez Canal transit. If anyone knows about any of the current Cunard ships actually calling within the port of Port Tawfig at Suez, Egypt I'll add it to our list.

Unless someone knows more ports I'm not aware of (which is certainly a distinct possibility), we may be down to just two more 'q' ports to add to the list. One of those is in Australia and one is in Canada.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, sfred said:

Thanks @bluemarble.  I'm back online this Sunday morning, and I see that @carlmm has named Muscat's Port Qaboos from your photo of Al Jalali fort.  Well done!  To finish off Queensland, I think the Q port we are missing is

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

I see where you are coming from with Townsville since it has a destinations page on the Cunard website. Well done for finding that page. However, I'm not seeing any Cunard cruises actually ever calling there, so I'm puzzled as to why that destination page is there. If you know of a Cunard cruise that has called at Townsville, I'll update my itineraries.

I may have fooled myself into thinking there was another Cunard cruise port in Australia. The other port I was looking for is "Airlie Beach, Queensland, Australia". However, Airlie Beach may be synonymous with Whitsunday Islands. The itineraries I have list Whitsunday Islands or simply Whitsunday as a destination up until about 2015. Then they start listing Airlie Beach in subsequent years. If that does not represent an actual difference in where the ships anchored, then that's my mistake and I apologize for that. Maybe that's like seeing the itineraries that say Charlotte Amalie one year and St Thomas the next.

I couldn't find any recent Cunard Townsville port calls either.  Other cruise lines have called there, and it is a reasonably large city (by Australian standards), so I thought that maybe Cunard had called there in the past, especially given its listing on the web site. 

Airlie Beach and Whitsundays are indeed the same location, so I guess that exhausts our Queensland ports.  Only the last Canadian port remains.

This has been a fun challenge - thanks!  Lots of creative responses from everyone around the world.