Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

27 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

I did run across one rather oblique reference (for which I have now lost the hyperlink...hate it when that happens) to the Cunard Royal Viking Sun visiting São Tomé and Príncipe in 1994. I could not verify (a) that it was in the port of São Tomé as opposed to elsewhere in that nation, if indeed it occurred at all, and (b) it occurred after Trafalgar house Co (Cunard owner at the time) acquired the line in 1994 or before - which would have made it a non-Cunard ship when it made the stop...if it made the stop. 

That was really useful, wasn't it?

I appreciate the comment regardless of how illusive or inconclusive it may be. It trigged the thought that I had just seen a mention this morning of one of the Royal Viking ships calling at Macapá, Brazil (in response to @Colin_Cameron's post about Macapá). Alas, it turns out that reference was to a call by Royal Viking Sky in 1989, so no chance that had anything to do with Cunard.

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think we may have already seen this port, but from a much different angle seen below.

The tugboat MENTORAS (ΜΕΝΤΟΡΑΣ) is currently located in Heraklion, Greece. Of course that doesn't mean it couldn't have been in another Greek port at the time of your photo. Other photos I'm finding online of the Heraklion port do match up very closely, even down to the details in the various cranes shown in your photo. So I'm going to say this is Heraklion.

Indeed, you are right!

I should have searched for various possible spellings, not just Iraklio(n).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carlmm said:

Indeed, you are right!

I should have searched for various possible spellings, not just Iraklio(n).

I realized shortly after my reply that the alternate spellings for Heraklion might have been the issue. No problem. It didn't take long to rule out some of the other Greek ports we haven't seen yet and focus on Heraklion given that tugboat in the photo as a big clue. Without that, I think I'd still be searching.

On 10/7/2020 at 10:19 AM, Underwatr said:

Just enough to go by here, maybe.

IMG_0948.thumb.JPG.3bf7a509fe1f1464e26326f254447311.JPG

On 10/14/2020 at 8:48 PM, Underwatr said:

Time for an additional hint. Here's a different angle (I think the Equinox had moved on in the interim):

photo.thumb.jpeg.e17e210af89ca9581ab752601a6416ee.jpeg

@Underwatr, if I'm not mistaken this port is yet to be identified. I wouldn't want to give up on this if there's another hint you can provide us.

If you're up for another most visited port trivia question, I haven't asked one about QE yet. Of course Southampton is QE's most visited port. Yesterday I gave away that St Petersburg is QE's second most visited port. So let's see if we can figure out QE's third most visited port.

As with my earlier questions about QM2 and QV, I'm counting the number of days QE was scheduled to be in each port starting with her maiden voyage on October 12, 2010 through the portion of her 2020 schedule which ended March 15, 2020, not counting drydock/refit days.

The curveball I'm going to throw with this one is that the counts I've compiled are showing two different ports tied for third place on the list of QE's most visited ports. I'll provide a couple hints to help identify those two ports.

1) One of these ports is a Mediterranean port while the other is not.
2) On several occasions QE has called at these two ports on consecutive days.

Given those hints, what two ports do you think are the third most visited ports for QE after Southampton and St Petersburg?

As before, go ahead and answer even if it repeats someone else's answer. I'll reveal the answer I have based on my counts tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Underwatr said:

It just shows the extent I have to go to to keep the likes of sfred and bluemarble entertained! 😆

This slightly different angle should seal it, I think

2023953805_qm2-3.thumb.jpeg.ba42096b01ab2805b435fc55673ddf64.jpeg

OK, this is officially embarrassing! I even posted a photo of this port earlier. This photo shows the windmill we discussed as a key to identifying this port in that earlier photo of mine.

I think this is Crown Bay at St Thomas, US Virgin Islands, which incidentally is QM2's third most visited port as we discussed just a few days ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

The curveball I'm going to throw with this one is that the counts I've compiled are showing two different ports tied for third place on the list of QE's most visited ports. I'll provide a couple hints to help identify those two ports.

1) One of these ports is a Mediterranean port while the other is not.
2) On several occasions QE has called at these two ports on consecutive days.

Given those hints, what two ports do you think are the third most visited ports for QE after Southampton and St Petersburg?

How about Lisbon for the non-Mediterranean port?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Underwatr said:

It just shows the extent I have to go to to keep the likes of sfred and bluemarble entertained! 😆

This slightly different angle should seal it, I think

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

OK, this is officially embarrassing! I even posted a photo of this port earlier. This photo shows the windmill we discussed as a key to identifying this port in that earlier photo of mine.

I think this is Crown Bay at St Thomas, US Virgin Islands, which incidentally is QM2's third most visited port as we discussed just a few days ago.

And it is definitely appreciated @Underwatr !   These Caribbean port photos are making me a bit sad.  We were scheduled to be on QM2's Christmas cruise in a little over a month, until Australia closed international travel and Cunard cancelled the voyage.  😥

23 hours ago, exlondoner said:

How about Gibraltar for one of them, though I'm not sure whether that is Med. or not.

Gibraltar is indeed the Mediterranean port I was looking for, with 38 days visited.

19 hours ago, carlmm said:

How about Lisbon for the non-Mediterranean port?

Lisbon is the non-Mediterranean port, also with 38 days visited.

7 hours ago, sogne said:

Or Cadiz

Cadiz is a good guess. It happens to come in at eighth place with 30 days visited. Probably the only other frequently visited port within one day sailing distance of the Mediterranean.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Just out of interest, where do Guernsey and Zeebrugge come? I seem to have been to both of them a few times.

For QE, Guernsey is in 32nd place with 16 days (tied with Lanzarote and Livorno). Zeebrugge is in 10th place with 26 days (tied with Barcelona and Dubrovnik).

• Like 1

Here's a different kind of Cunard port trivia question. What ports that the current Cunard fleet have visited include the letter 'q' somewhere in their names. The letter 'q' may occur anywhere in the full name of the port including the county/state/province/island and country.

Please name just one port in your response and then pass it along for others to supply the remaining ports one by one. I'll start by naming the most visited such port. This port happens to contain two 'q's, one in the city name and one in the province name.

1) Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.

Edited by bluemarble

26 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a different kind of Cunard port trivia question. What ports that the current Cunard fleet have visited include the letter 'q' somewhere in their names. The letter 'q' may occur anywhere in the full name of the port including the county/state/province/island and country.

1) Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.

2) Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I assume it needs to be the current name? 😀

I think know where you're headed with that one. Yes, let's keep it to the current name.

And just to make sure it's clear, the 'q' does not have to be the first letter of the port, county/state/province/island or country name.

Edited by bluemarble

8 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think know where you're headed with that one. Yes, let's keep it to the current name.

And just to make sure it's clear, the 'q' does not have to be the first letter of the port, county/state/province/island or country name.

All right, then. I shall assume the Whitsundays are in Queensland, as well.

• Like 1