Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a different kind of Cunard port trivia question. What ports that the current Cunard fleet have visited include the letter 'q' somewhere in their names. The letter 'q' may occur anywhere in the full name of the port including the county/state/province/island and country.

@carlmm and @Host Hattie both beat me to Queensland before I got out of bed this morning.  Well done!  The time zones worked against me this time.

Keeping it in the southern hemisphere:

Coquimbo Chile

• Like 2

Here's the status of the game I started earlier today to name ports visited by the current Cunard fleet containing the letter 'q'  anywhere in their full port names. Add one port per person per day, please.

1) Quebec City, Quebec

2) Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

3) Whitsunday Islands, Queensland, Australia

4) Cairns, Queensland, Australia

5) Coquimbo, Chile

@sfred, there may be another Queensland port remaining for you to contribute tomorrow.

There are enough 'q' ports out there including places other than Queensland to keep this game going at least a day or two more I would think. Some ports I may not be aware of, and at least one I do know of that probably isn't listed as such on any Cunard itinerary (how's that for a tease?)

46 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

As it's a new day, may I hazard Porto Quetzal in Guatemala.

I was about to suggest this then stupidly excluded it as we were on Sagafjord. Not thinking that one of the current fleet may also have called there.

I also ruled out Porquerolles, France for the same reason (Sea Goddess II, this time), but I'm fairly sure it's far too small for any of the current ships.

Edited by Colin_Cameron

I think Yorkeys Knob and Cairns (suggested by Host Hattie) are the same.  There's another QLD port that qualifies, however, based on the wording of bluemarble's challenge.  I'll save that for tomorrow if nobody else guesses.  Meantime...

Fort-de-France, Martinique

• Like 2

Well done on all the 'q' ports suggested so far today.

Thanks for mentioning Porquerolles, France as a port for a previous Cunard ship, @Colin_Cameron. I would not have known about that port otherwise. You are correct, none of the current Cunard fleet have stopped there though.

I will accept your answer of Yorkeys Knob, Queensland. While that has usually been synonymous with Cairns, as in "Yorkeys Knob (for Cairns)", there are news articles from earlier this year indicating QE docked directly at the Cairns Cruise Liner Terminal in February after the inlet channel had been widened. So I'll treat Yorkeys Knob and Cairns as two different ports for the purposes of this game.

Puerto Quetzal has indeed been a port of call for both QE and QV and Martinique has been a port of call for both QM2 and QV.

@Host Hattie, go ahead and add one of the other ports you posted yesterday and then so graciously removed since I had requested one post per person, but then modified that to one port per person per day.

• Like 1

Here's the current status of our 'q' port game. 

1) Quebec City, Quebec
5) Coquimbo, Chile
6) Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala
7) Yorkeys Knob, Queensland, Australia
8) Fort-de-France, Martinique
9) Aqaba, Jordan

Not many more left to my knowledge.

I'm confident Host Hattie and sfred can each add one more 'q' port to this list if others don't come up with them first.

Then there's another one that should be fairly well known. My counts show all three of the current Cunard Queens have called there totaling nine times altogether over the years.

After that, the pickings get a lot leaner. There's one that's listed in the itineraries but with only a single call.

Then there's the port I alluded to yesterday that probably can't be found in any itineraries as such. That's because the 'q' occurs in an alternate name for the port (similar to how the port at Fort Lauderdale goes by the name Port Everglades).

Finally there's one more that isn't in any itineraries and is a stretch to even refer to as a Cunard port of call, but I'll take it just for the sake of being thorough. The "call" to this "port" occurred after the unfortunate events of mid-March this year.

Edited by bluemarble

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's the current status of our 'q' port game. 

1) Quebec City, Quebec
5) Coquimbo, Chile
6) Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala
7) Yorkeys Knob, Queensland, Australia
😎 Fort-de-France, Martinique
9) Aqaba, Jordan

Not many more left to my knowledge.

I'm confident Host Hattie and sfred can each add one more 'q' port to this list if others don't come up with them first.

Then there's another one that should be fairly well known. My counts show all three of the current Cunard Queens have called there totaling nine times altogether over the years.

After that, the pickings get a lot leaner. There's one that's listed in the itineraries but with only a single call.

Then there's the port I alluded to yesterday that probably can't be found in any itineraries as such. That's because the 'q' occurs in an alternate name for the port (similar to how the port at Fort Lauderdale goes by the name Port Everglades).

Finally there's one more that isn't in any itineraries and is a stretch to even refer to as a Cunard port of call, but I'll take it just for the sake of being thorough. The "call" to this "port" occurred after the unfortunate events of mid-March this year.

How about Sarande, Shqipëri, which is Albanian for Albania?

On 10/28/2020 at 2:24 AM, bluemarble said:

Here's a different kind of Cunard port trivia question. What ports that the current Cunard fleet have visited include the letter 'q' somewhere in their names.

Bluemarble's original challenge only required that one of the current Cunard fleet "visited" the port.  He did not specify that the ship had to embark or disembark passengers.  As a result, QE's unfortunate stay back in late March and early April in the industrial port of

Gladstone, Queensland, Australia

appears to qualify.  QE laid up there at anchor at the beginning of the virus pause in operations, hoping that the pause might be short enough to enable a resumption of the 2020 schedule in Australia.  When that didn't work out, QE went to Manila for a longer wait, and then eventually back to the UK.

• Like 1