Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

13 hours ago, carlmm said:

Well known souvenirs from this port include coffee and chocolate.

Thanks @carlmm.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.  I've looked at ports in Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, and Brazil, but I can't match the building and water configurations in the photo to anything I see on google maps.  In desperation, I even tried Switzerland and Austria! 🙂

I'm afraid a better image processor than me is needed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Gdansk. If that's was QE, I was on her.

Close Gydinya was QE  the morning weather was fine in Gdansk but worsened pm much coal dust on the quay

we caught the back end of a depression which brought unseasonal bad weather to Norway and I think this was the day that QM2 could not dock in Alesund as Blue Marble will recall 

this another maiden call

vbc.JPG

mnb.JPG

Edited by sogne

5 minutes ago, sogne said:

Close Gydinya was QE  the morning weather was fine in Gdansk but worsened pm much coal dust on the quay

we caught the back end of a depression which brought unseasonal bad weather to Norway and I think this was the day that QM2 could not dock in Alesund as Blue Marble will recall 

this another maiden call

vbc.JPG

Edited by sogne

19 minutes ago, sogne said:

this another maiden call

vbc.JPG

I picked a bad day to be away from my PC most of the day. Lots of new port identification opportunities today that I'm catching up on now. I do remember well that day QM2 skipped Alesund.

This one is another lovely photo of Riga, Latvia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Thanks @carlmm.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.  I've looked at ports in Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, and Brazil, but I can't match the building and water configurations in the photo to anything I see on google maps.  In desperation, I even tried Switzerland and Austria! 🙂

Don't feel bad. I've been down some of those same blind alleys trying to match the hint with the photo and I'm not having any luck so far either.

10 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

This will be easy, we've had this port before...

enhance

I like to be more confidant about a photo than I am about this one before I make a guess. But this does match up fairly well with a photo of my own.

I'm going to say this one is Civitavecchia, Italy.

11 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Has a Cunard ship ever called in Greenland?  There are a number of multiple Q port names there... Qaqortoq being the most often named...EM

10 hours ago, exlondoner said:

And has there ever been a call in Mozambique?

There haven't been any calls by the current Cunard fleet to either Greenland or Mozambique that I know of.

I'll provide the 'q' port I mentioned in my last post which I think has only been visited once by the current Cunard fleet. That was a call by QE in March 2012, according to the itineraries I have:

Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia

With that addition, here is the current status of our 'q' port game.

1. Quebec City, Quebec
2. Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3. Whitsunday Islands, Queensland, Australia
4. Cairns, Queensland, Australia
5. Coquimbo, Chile
6. Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala
7. Yorkeys Knob, Queensland, Australia
8. Fort-de-France, Martinique
9. Aqaba, Jordan
10. Sarande, Shqipëri (Albania)
11. Gladstone, Queensland, Australia
12. Doha, Qatar
13. Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia

That leaves three more 'q' ports yet to be mentioned that I know of.

One of those remaining 'q' ports is in @sfred's part of the world. By my count it has had six calls by the current Cunard fleet, so it's not a rarely visited port.

Another 'q' port is not too far away from many of you that have been contributing to this thread. It may be closest to @Colin_Cameron. I think @Lanky Lad posted a photo at or near that port earlier.

The third remaining 'q' port is the tricky one that uses an alternate name for the port, not just the name of the city. That port is located in the Middle East.

Thanks @bluemarble.  I'll save the remaining Aussie Q port for someone else for another day or two.  I thought of two more Q ports (maybe three more --- I can't confirm a Cunard port call at the third) that aren't in the UK or the Middle East.  One of the two I'm pretty sure of is:

Sept-Iles, Quebec, Canada

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sfred said:

Thanks @bluemarble.  I'll save the remaining Aussie Q port for someone else for another day or two.  I thought of two more Q ports (maybe three more --- I can't confirm a Cunard port call at the third) that aren't in the UK or the Middle East.  One of the two I'm pretty sure of is:

Sept-Iles, Quebec, Canada

Very good. I don't know how I managed to miss that one. OK, yes I do. It's just listed as Sept-Iles, Canada in the itineraries I have. That does indeed add at least a couple more 'q' ports that haven't been mentioned yet.

8 hours ago, sogne said:

Sorry I meant Gdynia. We spent the day in Gdansk and returned via Sopot. I vividly remember hopping over the coal dust on the quay. The adjacent building holds a rather good museum about emigration from Gdynia, where we didn't have time to go. The trip to Gdansk was probably the most enjoyable Cunard trip I've been on.

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Another 'q' port is not too far away from many of you that have been contributing to this thread. It may be closest to @Colin_Cameron. I think @Lanky Lad posted a photo at or near that port earlier.

Aahhh!

Queensferry. Probably on the itineraries as South Queensferry.

Reminds me of QE2's 40th anniversary Round Britain tour. Lavish celebrations laid on (almost) everywhere. In Newcastle there were fireworks lining the banks of the Tyne all the way from the mouth to North Shields as we sailed in. At Greenock there was a display by the Red Arrows. In Liverpool there was the first of those spectacular Liverpool Cathedral concerts.

And Edinburgh? The only mention of our visit was a "letter to the editor" complaining that our tour busses took up too much space in the car park at Queensferry.🤬

Edited by Colin_Cameron
I see exlondoner beat be to it while I was typing. Congratulations
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, sfred said:

Thanks @carlmm.

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Don't feel bad. I've been down some of those same blind alleys trying to match the hint with the photo and I'm not having any luck so far either.

I love the Switzerland and Austria approach 👍,

albeit you can really not compare the geography: 😉 Less than one hundred kilometres from the port there is a mountain higher than any in Austria.

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

I love the Switzerland and Austria approach 👍,

albeit you can really not compare the geography: 😉 Less than one hundred kilometres from the port there is a mountain higher than any in Austria.

Switzerland and Austria admittedly were rather low chances of Cunard port success.  But they do have good chocolate and coffee!

I have completely failed to find a port that has the configuration of a street or pier (where carlmm took the photo), then water, then hotel or apartment buildings with balconies, and then a shipping pier or anchorage where the Cunard red funnel is visible.  Going on the assumption that carlmm's clues of a nearby high mountain, plus coffee and chocolate, mean a South America Pacific port adjacent to the Andes, I've looked at satellite views of San Antonio, Valparaiso, Coquimbo, Huasco, Arica, Lima, Manta, and Cartegena without success.  I surrender to defeat.  😥

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sfred said:

Switzerland and Austria admittedly were rather low chances of Cunard port success.  But they do have good chocolate and coffee!

I have completely failed to find a port that has the configuration of a street or pier (where carlmm took the photo), then water, then hotel or apartment buildings with balconies, and then a shipping pier or anchorage where the Cunard red funnel is visible.  Going on the assumption that carlmm's clues of a nearby high mountain, plus coffee and chocolate, mean a South America Pacific port adjacent to the Andes, I've looked at satellite views of San Antonio, Valparaiso, Coquimbo, Huasco, Arica, Lima, Manta, and Cartegena without success.  I surrender to defeat.  😥

Pacific is the right track!  (okay, not South America).

SAM_4112.JPG

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I like to be more confidant about a photo than I am about this one before I make a guess. But this does match up fairly well with a photo of my own.

I'm going to say this one is Civitavecchia, Italy.

You got it!  EM