Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

On 10/27/2020 at 7:22 AM, carlmm said:

Let's try this one.

SAM_4058.JPG

@carlmm I don't think anyone has successfully guessed this port yet.  Can you give us a hint?  The buildings appear to be hotels, but I can't find identifiable markings.  I've also tried google map satellite views of several places, but can't match the configuration.  

I also wondered if maybe it was a new ship concept that Cunard was trying out, with a Cunard red funnel welded to the top of an undifferentated rectangular box of balcony cabins.  😁

1 hour ago, sfred said:

I also wondered if maybe it was a new ship concept that Cunard was trying out, with a Cunard red funnel welded to the top of an undifferentated rectangular box of balcony cabins.  😁

Congratulations, you got the answer!

😉 Don't too many ships look like your description? 🙂

1 hour ago, sfred said:

@carlmm I don't think anyone has successfully guessed this port yet.  Can you give us a hint?  The buildings appear to be hotels, but I can't find identifiable markings.  I've also tried google map satellite views of several places, but can't match the configuration.  

Well known souvenirs from this port include coffee and chocolate.

3 hours ago, sfred said:

Bluemarble's original challenge only required that one of the current Cunard fleet "visited" the port.  He did not specify that the ship had to embark or disembark passengers.  As a result, QE's unfortunate stay back in late March and early April in the industrial port of

Gladstone, Queensland, Australia

appears to qualify.  QE laid up there at anchor at the beginning of the virus pause in operations, hoping that the pause might be short enough to enable a resumption of the 2020 schedule in Australia.  When that didn't work out, QE went to Manila for a longer wait, and then eventually back to the UK.

Very good. That's the port I was referring to in my last post where I mentioned a port call that "occurred after the unfortunate events of mid-March this year."

when this thread started i got as far as 5 or so pages without one...."i know that place" ......12 plus cruises with cunard and i only got one or two "ok now i re-call that place" . I guess i need to pay more attention ,when we are in the carib i usually ask my wife "is this the port where i feel the lizards " .......i am more into important info like.....is the bacon still out or is it chocolate mousse time ,where is the whipped cream ? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

@exlondoner  You will know the others, too...

enhance

Yes, Akureyi, and I knew he was Perky, just wondering where he is now.  One of the privileges of being captain of QE2 was being on an open bridge wing on a cold, rainy day...  EM

At least he was well insulated. 😀I seem to remember his wife was particularly agreeable.