NewZealand Australia Back to back

Tookie

We did a 35 N  New Zealand & Australia B2B on the Solstice, it was amazing.  We did all private tours with others from the Roll Call or DYI’d it as some ports were easy to do without a guide.  We would highly recommend it.  

We loved our Australia to New Zealand cruise.  We considered BTB but decided to spend time in the countries before and after.  This worked for us.  I would not necessarily want to cross the Tasman Sea 2 or 3 times depending on the itineraries. Absolutely loved both countries and the people!

We have done land trips to both countries and also have done B2B2B2B cruises which included both Australian and New Zealand ports.  We almost generally stay on a ship for at least a B2B pairing, and one of the real advantages to stringing a set of cruises is the amount of flying needed for those of us who reside in North America to reach these countries.

I also echo the sentiment that a trip limited to the cruise ports means that folks will see a small portion of the countries.  For example we spent five nights in Uluru in 2011, and found it fascinating.

• Like 2

I would recommend not doing B2B but spending some time on land at  either side. I’ve done the Sydney to Auckland cruise and on reflection now wish we had done the whole thing as a land based trip and hired a car. We did a 3 week land based tour of Western Australia last November/December and it was fabulous and we saw so much more. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tookie said:

We are considering back to back cruises to New Zealand then Australia. If anyone has done this, would you recommend it?

We have done two cruises out of Australia, one over the Top of Australia form Perth to Sydney and another TransPacific from Sydney to Seattle.

Here are my detailed reviews

Australia

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=216863

Melbourne, New Zealand and  Explorer of the Seas TransPacific cruise

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=620702&et_cid=3065755&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

The second one that I posted includes a land trip of the Northern Island of NZ that we booked after we discovered that our NZ cruise from Sydney had been cancelled for technical problems.   I know we missed the South Island, but we didn't have time to do the whole country with our TransPacific cruise coming up.

After doing the land trip of NZ, I would recommend that over a cruise.   We saw WAY MORE of the North island on our land trip and spent extra days in the wonderful city of Wellington.

Regarding Australia, if you visit Perth, you need more than one day to explore Perth and the environs.  Suggest at least 3 days.

Darwin is OK for one day, for Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef, you need at least 3 days to see the area.  Brisbane,  you can do in one day.  For Sydney, you need several days and Melbourne several days.   For Sydney don't miss the Blue Mountains, wine country north of the city and a harbor cruise.  For Melbourne, be sure you visit the Phillip Island penguins as well as the very scenic Great Ocean Highway.

We are doing a TP in August of 2022 from Sydney to Honolulu.  South Island NZ is my favorite place, as my DH and I hiked the Milford Track.  This is still one of my most fascinating trips, as we also rented a car and drove all over the island.  The air is so clear and so refreshing.  I agree that cruises only give a "taste" of a country, but arriving early and staying later is the way to see more more of what you want to see...Australia is about the size of the USA, so a vast area including the Outback.  I think b2b's and more are wonderful cruises.

Edited by Lastdance

On 8/31/2020 at 9:57 AM, 4774Papa said:

We have done two cruises out of Australia, one over the Top of Australia form Perth to Sydney and another TransPacific from Sydney to Seattle.

Melbourne, New Zealand and  Explorer of the Seas TransPacific cruise

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=620702&et_cid=3065755&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

Glad to hear you enjoyed the programs!

I would NEVER turn down ANY opportunity for a B2B... especially for Australia and/or New Zealand!

comet a 1 title.jpg

Edited by teecee60

On 8/30/2020 at 11:13 PM, Tookie said:

We are considering back to back cruises to New Zealand then Australia. If anyone has done this, would you recommend it?

We did 3 B2B's in 2017, cruise one started in Auckland and finished in Sydney, cruise two started and finished in Sydney and went out to Fiji, cruise three went up the east coast to Port Douglas and back.

Would I recommend it? Without a shadow of doubt. Do it all again at the drop of a hat.

I wrote a blog for the 36 nights plus about it if you would like to have a read to give you more of an idea.

https://www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk/2017/02/celebrity-solstice-b2b2b-oceania-cruise-preamble/

One day I hope X bring back the circumnavigation, its something I would really love to do.

Edited by Wansbrough

On 8/30/2020 at 6:13 PM, Tookie said:

We did it last year and would definitely recommend the trip.  We did the back to back that went from Aukland to Perth and then Perth back to Aukland.  They only do that run once a year.  

On 8/30/2020 at 6:13 PM, Tookie said:

I had booked a b2b for Jan-Feb 2020, but I had already switched that reservation to something else long before COVID just because of airfare cost. We have had some time in Australia adjunct to work trips. So my notion was to fly to NZ, a few days there for initial exploration and time-zone adjustments, then cruise to Australia and then back, stay another 7-10 days in NZ before flying home. The b2b, among other advantages, would have had two shots at good weather for the sail-by days in southern NZ. Plus of course some good sea days which we enjoy.

I hope to revisit this plan in another year or two.