Which YC is better overall - Seaside or Meraviglia

brightfeather

We need to make a decision this weekend. We're definitely doing a Deluxe Suite in the Yacht Club on either the Seaside or the Meraviglia.  For those of you that have been on both or even just one - what did you like/dislike about each of them?  OVerall preference?  Is the Deluxe Suite YC cabin balcony bigger on the Seaside than on the Meraviglia (not including the forward facing Deluxe Suites on Meraviglia - Deck 15).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  🙂

2 hours ago, brightfeather said:

We need to make a decision this weekend. We're definitely doing a Deluxe Suite in the Yacht Club on either the Seaside or the Meraviglia.  For those of you that have been on both or even just one - what did you like/dislike about each of them?  OVerall preference?  Is the Deluxe Suite YC cabin balcony bigger on the Seaside than on the Meraviglia (not including the forward facing Deluxe Suites on Meraviglia - Deck 15).

Hi bf,

Both ships are great in their own way.  As for the YC, I much prefer the Seaside for the following reasons:

--there are a few less people in the Seaside YC (at least it feels that way).

--the two story lounge and dining room on the Seaside is a better design.

--the buffet outside near the pool is much better on the Seaside and we felt the selection was better as well.

--the staffing seemed about the same on both ships.

--both have outstanding service.

You can't go wrong with either ship. 

Enjoy!

Kel😁

• Like 1

We sailed on both last year,  Meraviglia then Seaside 5 days later. We preferred Seaside YC. Primarily because of the TSL, loved the open plan design with the restaurant mezzanine above. We especially enjoyed the seating area outside the TSL in the evening, obviously this would be a moot point of you don't have the climate for it. We had a fantastic experience on both but as a direct comparison, Seaside YC was our favourite. 

20 hours ago, brightfeather said:

It's a nice problem to have.  🙂

If you expand my signature you'll see we've sailed MSC Yacht Club from Divina to Seaside to Meraviglia and are booked for Seashore (a Seaside class ship).

We personally believe the MSC Yacht Club "club-within-a-club" experience is the best available at sea.  We were so luck to have booked so much with them so early before the 'secret got out.  NCL Haven is also really nice as a second choice.

The butler service,  that we've experienced in all of our cruises, and not limited to our butler but to all of them, is over-the-top.  As with dining, all you need to do is tell them what it is you like, want or need.

As for between the Seaside and Meraviglia, we posted ~

~ that we like the Seaside Yacht Club layout the best of the two.

~ to a lesser importance to us, as we don't venture out of the Yacht Club very much, that we like the "non-Yacht Club" areas of Meraviglia the best of the two.

The Seaside Yacht Club layout is highlighted by the open restaurant layered above the lounge.  It is beautiful and feels lively when busy yet still quite peaceful when restaurant closed. 

The access to outdoor seating in front of the lounge is great for a lot of purposes, and "the" place to be entering ports. 

22.PNG.06d47abcadcd7b9041dd9d5242a25b98.PNG

The pool is large, protected by a forward deck area from the direct wind (although it gets windy), and has the best pool bar and grille at sea.  Forward hot tubs and loungers are peaceful.

11.PNG.5a8814e2957e9ee912a2159088460db0.PNG

Outside of the Yacht Club, the Seaside is a beautiful design and fun to walk.  Very limited specialty dining, spiral central atrium but a lot of great bars and seating venues.  On Meraviglia, there is more to do, a promenade that is 'gorgeous, expanded specialty dining, more activities; with that comes more people (unless a port day, which we enjoy on both ships most of the time).

If you are a SUN-WORSHIPPER, there is all sun on almost all of the loungers on the Seaside and you have to move around to find shade (my wife).  On the Meraviglia, there is almost no sun, or sun via openings in the glass (UV) shield (very little space available to move to, I left the Yacht Club and went down one level to a small, pretty private public deck).

So, with the Yacht Club, you win either way.  We hope the above helps.

As an aside, can't help but recommend (actually passing on from others we learned from), that B2B makes for a completely different experience taking the pressure of travel, hotels, getting the best weather and now making a stop at Ocean Cay (an actual beautiful design and layout for all passengers in all categories).

Edited by Formula280SS
Added images and different SUN exposure.
  • Thanks 1

@Formula280SS

How is it reserving cabanas on Seaside??

We liked Meraviglia for the tinted sunscreens and wonder if we'd be fried on Seaside.

Between islands and sea days there only so much sun we need/want. Plus a full day on Ocean Cay etc

The YC on Seaside looks a lot bigger deck-wise. 

I am not certain whether Merav or Seaside has more pax per YC. 

Thoughts

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

@Formula280SS

How is it reserving cabanas on Seaside??

We liked Meraviglia for the tinted sunscreens and wonder if we'd be fried on Seaside.

Between islands and sea days there only so much sun we need/want. Plus a full day on Ocean Cay etc

The YC on Seaside looks a lot bigger deck-wise. 

I am not certain whether Merav or Seaside has more pax per YC. 

Thoughts

At the times we sailed, the cabanas (except for the Royal suites that came with them) were reserved once boarding the ship at the Yacht Club concierge.  The fee per day, then, was about $99 per day for sea days and $59 for port days (it is likely more now, but I defer to others that know).  There is a menu/amenity list of what is included; some like it while others say there is so much at the bar and grille it's not that important.

For protection from the sun, we've heard other passengers take 50-50 perspectives; not really much better and hotter without the wind to much better.  Also, the itinerary may impact; western itinerary sea days heading either east or west were believed to have provided more shade areas than eastern itinerary heading north and south.  None factual, just perspectives.

My wife noticed a personal umbrella that clamps to the lounger that some were using and we bought one for later use; it only really protects the head, face and upper chest as she would towel her legs.  The butlers and the pool crew knew she was a 'shade person on DAY 1 and set up loungers in new locations for her throughout the day so she could be in the shade at all times.  IF YOU DON'T WANT TO MOVE AROUND it is all sun.  I do not know if they have made any changes as it was common for passengers to question why there were no large, heavy base umbrellas.

The Yacht Club pool deck on Seaside feels a lot bigger, and the front of the ship with the loungers and hot tubs is pretty much open most of the time.  On Meraviglia, on sea days, it filled up quite fast and there were a lot of "towel loungers" early in the morning.  The pool is bigger, much deeper (cold and made for in and out, very refreshing) with massive sitting areas at just above water level and then a raised wall around that.

I've got an external back up hard drive with our photos from cruises on each class of ships.  I'll get a hold of that over the weekend and post some pool deck photos from each.

• Like 5

TY Are you saying the Seaside pool is bigger than Mera?

Layout seems very different

Also--shade for eating up there?

They brought out a canopy/tent to give more shade on super hot days. It was only Feb and the carib and super hot. So days - no breeze. We are shade/dappled sunlight folks. Or a few hrs on a day. 

3 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

The access to outdoor seating in front of the lounge is great for a lot of purposes, and "the" place to be entering ports. 

That area looks attractive in your photo.  When at sea, however, isn't there a wind issue?

40 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

I'll get a hold of that over the weekend and post some pool deck photos from each.

I'd appreciate see those as well. 

On Meraviglia, there is more to do, a promenade that is 'gorgeous, expanded specialty dining, more activities;

I was impressed with the out-of-YC areas of the ship.  The promenade is delightful with so many different venues.  The Dome Show during the late afternoon and evening was really cool!

34 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

They brought out a canopy/tent to give more shade on super hot days.

The Pool Guy on Meraviglia was a hard worker.  He kept erecting 2-4 tents over the seating area near the Pool Grille and, when we were at sea, the wind kept causing him much trouble.  (This was early January.)  One morning, he had just erected 2 of the tents when the wind became so strong that he had to dismantle them.  

best pool bar and grille at sea. 

On Meraviglia, the YC pool bar was fine; it served what I wanted to drink and the bartender was more conversational than the Top Club Lounge's bartender.  (Really was not too fond of him.)  The Pool Grille's breakfast and lunch offerings seemed skimpy to me.  The Chef was more than willing to fix whatever he had available.  But, some other items, particularly on a European style vessel seemed lacking.  For example:  no croissants in the morning, the selection of cold meets and cheeses along with a wide variety of breads at breakfast and lunch were more limited than I expected.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

That area looks attractive in your photo.  When at sea, however, isn't there a wind issue?

Yes.  At other times, it is really unique and stunning.  There is not one on Meraviglia or NCL Haven.

I was impressed with the out-of-YC areas of the ship.  The promenade is delightful with so many different venues.  The Dome Show during the late afternoon and evening was really cool!

Agreed.  There was an Asian restaurant on the 2nd level is broadcast as a sushi bar but it has an extensive Asian menu and the table seating outdoors is over the promenade.  Nice there several times.

The Pool Guy on Meraviglia was a hard worker.  He kept erecting 2-4 tents over the seating area near the Pool Grille and, when we were at sea, the wind kept causing him much trouble.  (This was early January.)  One morning, he had just erected 2 of the tents when the wind became so strong that he had to dismantle them.  

It's an issue on Seaside also.  If you can even get one of the tables, you've got to slide as close as possible to the serving lines at the grille to get shade you also people.

On Meraviglia, the YC pool bar was fine; it served what I wanted to drink and the bartender was more conversational than the Top Club Lounge's bartender.  (Really was not too fond of him.)  The Pool Grille's breakfast and lunch offerings seemed skimpy to me.  The Chef was more than willing to fix whatever he had available.  But, some other items, particularly on a European style vessel seemed lacking.  For example:  no croissants in the morning, the selection of cold meets and cheeses along with a wide variety of breads at breakfast and lunch were more limited than I expected.  

Agreed.

We've posted that every Yacht Club dining, and daily lounge servings, cruise experience has declined from the previous cruise. 

What we experienced on Divina was, hands down, a multiple over our experience on our recent Meraviglia; each other cruise like a downward stairway.

13 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

Yes.  At other times, it is really unique and stunning.  There is not one on Meraviglia or NCL Haven.

Agreed.  There was an Asian restaurant on the 2nd level is broadcast as a sushi bar but it has an extensive Asian menu and the table seating outdoors is over the promenade.  Nice there several times.

It's an issue on Seaside also.  If you can even get one of the tables, you've got to slide as close as possible to the serving lines at the grille to get shade you also people.

Agreed.

We've posted that every Yacht Club dining, and daily lounge servings, cruise experience has declined from the previous cruise. 

What we experienced on Divina was, hands down, a multiple over our experience on our recent Meraviglia; each other cruise like a downward stairway.

Agree yacht club has been in a decline for the past couple of years.

But the prices keep going up.

Ok, I couldn't find the backup drive that had what I wanted, but I have the following links that will show the Yacht Club pool decks on Seaside versus Meraviglia.

Passenger You Tube video of Seaside Yacht Club (from the 2 minute mark to 7 minutes are very illustrative of the lounge, open to the restaurant above, lounge bar, outdoor lounge access and seating and the entire pool and grill).

Passenger You Tube video of Meraviglia Yacht Club pool deck.

7 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

but I have the following links that will show the Yacht Club pool decks on Seaside versus Meraviglia.

Passenger You Tube video of Seaside Yacht Club (from the 2 minute mark to 7 minutes are very illustrative of the lounge, open to the restaurant above, lounge bar, outdoor lounge access and seating and the entire pool and grill).

Thank you very much for posting these two videos!  Indeed, there is a difference between the two YCs!  I liked the Dining Room location and arrangement on Meraviglia; I wonder how I would feel about it being on a Mezzanine type arrangement.  I noticed that the entrance into the Seaside's Restaurant was "shorter" than on Meraviglia without the buffet display on the right side.  (Probably a good idea.)  The Lounge seemed a bit more "elegant" than Meraviglia's and the outdoor seating area is something I would enjoy when it wasn't too windy.  Seaside's Bar certainly looked more "welcoming".  I wonder if it was any better patronized than Meraviglia's?  (I enjoy interacting with other "bar" guests and they were few and far between most evenings.)  

A comment was made in the video about the water temperature in the shower.  I had difficulty adjusting the temperature.  One morning, somehow the water became extremely hot and I could not lower it.  So much steam was created that it set off the smoke detector outside the bathroom.  I soon had a visit from Security.  After that episode, my Assistant Butler did something to the controls that made it easier to adjust the water temperature.  

The storage space and furnishings in the Seaside Suite were different.  An arm chair?  Didn't have; would have been nice.  Two closets?  Only one.  

Seaside is on my list to consider when cruising once again begins.  

Not sure if all amenities are the same.

Last year we were on the Seaside in a YC3. ALL laundry was free !

We were supposed to go again in a few weeks but that cruise was cancelled.

We booked for the same week next year, again in a YC3.

They changed the ship ! Same itinerary but not the Seaside, now the Mergaviglia.

The trip that was cancelled for this year on the Seaside, again included free laundry AND a complementary cabana on the private island. Apparently the Mergaviglia does NOT include that    :O(

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thank you very much for posting these two videos!  Indeed, there is a difference between the two YCs!  I liked the Dining Room location and arrangement on Meraviglia; I wonder how I would feel about it being on a Mezzanine type arrangement.  I noticed that the entrance into the Seaside's Restaurant was "shorter" than on Meraviglia without the buffet display on the right side.  (Probably a good idea.)  The Lounge seemed a bit more "elegant" than Meraviglia's and the outdoor seating area is something I would enjoy when it wasn't too windy.  Seaside's Bar certainly looked more "welcoming".  I wonder if it was any better patronized than Meraviglia's?  (I enjoy interacting with other "bar" guests and they were few and far between most evenings.)  

A comment was made in the video about the water temperature in the shower.  I had difficulty adjusting the temperature.  One morning, somehow the water became extremely hot and I could not lower it.  So much steam was created that it set off the smoke detector outside the bathroom.  I soon had a visit from Security.  After that episode, my Assistant Butler did something to the controls that made it easier to adjust the water temperature.  

The storage space and furnishings in the Seaside Suite were different.  An arm chair?  Didn't have; would have been nice.  Two closets?  Only one.  

Not sure what a Seaside Suite is.  I've sailed twice on Seaside in a YC1.  And it was exactly as pictured in the video.  Two closets.  And an arm chair.  Love those cabins!  Very intelligently designed.

Your welcome.  We found that on Seaside, with the open glass stairs to the dining, that there was more opportunities to say hello to others as you started with a wine or drink pre-dinner or after.  We certainly enjoyed both; just prefer Seaside's openness.

We've got Yacht Club "shower water stories."

On our first Divina cruise, we had hot water that was only "pure cold or pure scalding."  They tried all week, never could fix; it turned out to be a mixer valve in our unit versus to the unit.  I showered at the pool deck, my wife did the cold shower real fast and we just endured.

On our first Meraviglia cruise, in the first week of a B2B, the shower/bath ventilation system was non-existent non-functioning.  The entire glass, walls and ceilings were fogged and soaking, we had to leave the door open and fan it back and forth, and best of all, the alarm would go off requiring the fire response team to come each time.  It took days for them, working in the walls and ceilings of the hallway, to make it bearable.  And we were not alone, it was happening to many other staterooms near us (but nowhere else in the Yacht Club).

It's a pretty sure bet for a nice time.

the shower/bath ventilation system was non-existent non-functioning.  The entire glass, walls and ceilings were fogged and soaking, we had to leave the door open and fan it back and forth, and best of all, the alarm would go off requiring the fire response team to come each time.  

In 15016, I didn't feel that the ventilation system was handling the moisture in the air well, but not as bad as your experience.  I started to keep the bathroom door open while I showered.  I misspoke about who responded when my smoke alarm went off.  Not Security, but a maintenance man.  Quickly after he arrived, he contacted the OOW that there was no fire/smoke.  He advised me to keep my bathroom door shut when I am showering.  Afterwards, I thought the placement of the smoke detector just outside the bathroom was not its best possible placement.  

It would have been rather exciting to have the fire response team knocking on your door while one is in one's "birthday suit".  With my situation, I had grabbed my robe before the maintenance man arrived knowing that I would be quickly having a "visitor".   

We loved the Seaside YC. Only issue one night our neighbors had an issue and maintenance came to fix it. I opened the door and asked  they continue the conversation quieter. It was handled immediately. We loved the Seaside as did our friends who sailed with us. We are booked on the Meraviglia March 2021 and looking forward to the Cirque shows which is why we booked her. I am looking forward to walking about the ship on the shore days without the crowds. 

11 hours ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

We loved the Seaside YC. Only issue one night our neighbors had an issue and maintenance came to fix it. I opened the door and asked  they continue the conversation quieter. It was handled immediately. We loved the Seaside as did our friends who sailed with us. We are booked on the Meraviglia March 2021 and looking forward to the Cirque shows which is why we booked her. I am looking forward to walking about the ship on the shore days without the crowds. 

Cirque have filed for bankruptcy and all of the staff made redundant.

3 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Cirque have filed for bankruptcy and all of the staff made redundant.

This is an update from July:

https://www.cruiseshipportal.com/news/cruise-news-maritime-news/cirque-du-soleil-files-for-bankruptcy-protection-amid-corona-crises-msc-cruises-at-sea-programm-to/

The mainstream news shared this:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-06-30/cirque-du-soleil-tpg-bankruptcy

They are trying to restructure. I am thinking positive we will see them on MSC.

This is the latest news:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/a-month-after-filing-for-bankruptcy-cirque-du-soleil-accepts-purchase-offer-from-creditors/articleshow/77025242.cms?from=mdr

• Like 1

At this point, I think we were still on the most recent Seaside cruise from March (sadly).

Deluxe Suite is very nice.  Yes, its the smallest balcony in the YC.  Who cares, the room itself is very large, and the balcony is easily twice the size you'll find on a non-YC.  And the bathroom is legitimately nice.  Not just cruise ship nice, but upscale hotel nice.

The TSL is legitimately nice.  2 story wall to wall windows overlooking the front of the ship, and a seating area directly in front of it.  Wonderful spot for viewing when the ship is entering or leaving port.  The restaurant is wonderful as well, overlooking the lounge, which makes heading up for meals a breeze.

We did a cabana rental on our sailing.  Booked the first day on the cruise, and it was very easy.  Nice and shaded, though, it was a bit cold due to the time of year.  Definitely worth keeping in mind if you are sailing during non-peak season.

Ocean Cay is a true gem in the Caribbean and the YC area is very nice.  Though, surprisingly, it doesn't actually have the best view, which I would give to the beach right behind it (forget its name).  With the colors in the water, it is truly a beautiful sight.  Though, that's nothing against the YC area.  Keep in mind, the beach is not netted off, and when we were there, a couple sharks did get a little close.  And they haven't quite removed all the coral from the beach, so its worth investing in water shoes.  And after 2pm, there are no food options in or around the YC area on the island.

As I stated in an earlier post, the YC seemed better in the Seaside compared to the Meraviglia.  Having said that, once you leave the YC area of the ship, I would give the nod to the Meraviglia.  The Seaside is nice, but the open atrium area of the Meraviglia is wonderful.  If you are a gym kind of person, the basketball court on the Meraviglia is the best at sea!  Indoors, A/C and a full court with a great rubberized surface.  

Enjoy!

Kel

• Like 1