How Much Time In Cabo?

patrickmoran

I'm looking at Mexico for Jan/Feb 2022.  3 ships will do them (Majestic (7 days out of LA), Ruby (10 day out of SF and favorite ship) and Grand (10 day out of LA)). The major diff that is of most interest to me is the amount of time each ship spends at Cabo San Lucas. The Majestic would be there 11am to 8pm. The Ruby is a full day. The Grand has an overnight in Cabo (12 pm until 6pm the next day). The more time in Cabo, more expensive cruise.  Recommendations? Thanks

Time in Cabo is your personal choice. My only input is that I would never take a 7 day cruise if I could take a 10 day cruise instead. 7 days is just too dang short. We have a 7 day Western Caribbean booked for late May next year but only because it fits with an 18 day that leaves right after.

Edited by Thrak

27 minutes ago, patrickmoran said:

I'm looking at Mexico for Jan/Feb 2022.  3 ships will do them (Majestic (7 days out of LA), Ruby (10 day out of SF and favorite ship) and Grand (10 day out of LA)). The major diff that is of most interest to me is the amount of time each ship spends at Cabo San Lucas. The Majestic would be there 11am to 8pm. The Ruby is a full day. The Grand has an overnight in Cabo (12 pm until 6pm the next day). The more time in Cabo, more expensive cruise.  Recommendations? Thanks

The 10 day on the Grand goes up to Loreto  and La Paz  as well. Our choice always is the longest cruise. La Paz and Loreto are great ports to visit. These two ports get only about 8 to 10 larger ships per season. They don't have Diamonds R Us or all the T shirt places the other ports have.

1 minute ago, Kamloops50 said:

The 10 day on the Grand goes up to Loreto  and La Paz  as well.

Loreto is really a nice little port. It's about as different from Cabo as one can get in a Mexican port.

Have you been to Cabo before?  I have been there many times, and it is my least favorite of the Mex-Riv ports.  To me, Cabo is American Spring Break, not a real Mexican port.  So the amount of time the ship spends in Cabo is the least important detail for me.

Over the years, I have already done everything in Cabo that I found interesting -- which does not include any of the bars that make Cabo so famous to American young adults.  Nowadays, I normally take the tender in to port, grab a "glass bottom boat" tour to the Arch, and then walk around the Marina for an hour or two before heading back to the ship.  I might eat lunch, I'll pick up some chips from OXXO [Mexican 7-11], maybe I'll get some new t-shirts or beach towels.  But that is the extent of my Cabo adventure.  

Length of the cruise, which ship, departure port (either of the LA ships, not the SF ship), the other ports of call, all of these are more important to me.  Hours at Cabo, not important.

Have a wonderful cruise, whatever you decide.  They are all great!

Our first visit to Cabo was in 1991 - and last visit this past November - night and day difference. 

We did the overnight on the Star in 2015, first day shuttle ashore was a total disaster - our later arrival meant a huge crowd ready for the tenders at 1PM after lunch and breakfast and major delays therefore.  We did make it ashore (barely) for our 5 PM Sunset Sail.

As noted - go see the Arch (our favorite is the sunset sail), get lunch at any of several decent restaurants, buy some amoxicillin, get your bottle of Kahlua.  

I would select a 10 day over a 7 day. Additionally I personally would avoid the Majestic. The ship was designed for the Asia market and is missing many of the venues an lounges we enjoy.

The Ruby has the advantage of sailing from San Francisco. A great city to spend some pre or post cruise time. The stops are the standard ones plus Manzanillo. We stopped there once. Didn't see much, but there probably are some interesting trips.

The Grand is a older ship, but I like the design with the indoor pool, two show lounges, and other nice venues. The Grand also has Alfredo's. We enjoyed the 10 Day Sea of Cortez itinerary. The gem is Loreto. We spent our time walking in the town. The local folk groups and entertainers had shows going most of the day. If you want time in Cabo this is your selection. The tenders run all evening and overnight. If you are going ashore on your own tenders will be crowded upon arrival at noon. It may take a one to two hours to clear the backlog. If you are in a hurry to get ashore you have to arrive at the tender ticket location early.  If you are in a full suite or are Elite you do receive priority tender service.

Loreto is also a tender port. There will also be a backlog there. Since arrival is 7am the backlog probably will not be as long as the Cabo noon arrival.

I have done each of these at one time or another.  Most recently did the Grand for 10 days out of SF in Feb, just before Covid outbreak.   For us the tipping point was a drive 45 min to the City.  In your case, where you will be flying in,  I would do the Grand out of LA as I found Loreto and LaPaz much more interesting than Manzanillo.  The overnight in Cabo is no big deal either way.  I generally describe Cabo as a southern suburb of LA.

2 hours ago, memoak said:

8 hours or so is plenty of time in Cabo. I would go for the Ruby one of my favorite ships 

Ruby is also a Medallion Class ship which makes it more likely than the others to actually sail. It's a great ship and I would happily chose Ruby over Majestic or Grand any day.

We have been to Cabo so many times and now when the ship goes we just stay on board and get to the pool without chair savers around. Cabo is just a bit of LA but a bit warmer. Too expensive for a stop to get off the ship. Nothing special, unless you want to pet a tiger cub. But then, I really think you should consider how scary that is for the poor tiger cub.

• Like 1

Not a huge fan of Cabo San Luis - it is as auténtico México as "Emily in Paris" is to the City of Light. That being said, we've had an overnight there and took public transport to its little brother up the road, San José del Cabo - an artist community, less overtly touristy and less hectic all round - it's a bit of a hidden gem (as is Manzanillo - not so much the port itself, but the chance to visit the historic colonial city of Colima).

Been to Cabo a couple of times and wasn't even vaguely impressed. However, we decided that the next time we hit Cabo we'd try either a a glass-bottomed boat or a sunset sail. Maybe that would be a better experience. I know a lot of folks like Cabo so I try to keep an open mind.

Having been to Cabo many, many times, I agree with most of the posts above.  The only thing I do, now, in Cabo is to get a very low price but wonderful  massage from LoLo Spa. 

They also do Mani, Pedi and facials.

It is a very small shop right in the Marina area so it is important to  email her at lolospacabo@hotmail.com for an appointment.

1 hour ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

Having been to Cabo many, many times, I agree with most of the posts above.  The only thing I do, now, in Cabo is to get a very low price but wonderful  massage from LoLo Spa. 

They also do Mani, Pedi and facials.

It is a very small shop right in the Marina area so it is important to  email her at lolospacabo@hotmail.com for an appointment.

What is a "low price" for a massage?  I'm sure it's less than on the ship but curious. (I get a massage once a month. Today is the day!)

2 hours ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

Okay... Googled this place. Rave reviews from many folks. If we are ever able to cruise again and hit Cabo I think I'd like to have an appointment scheduled for a massage. I stick to upper body massage which is where my issues are. Sounds like they have an excellent treatment at an excellent price. Thanks for the info.

Thrax

Don't know what their current price is, but last time I was there about 2 years ago, I paid $25.00 + tip

Even if it has gone up, it is still much cheaper than on the ship which cost me $200.00 + tip and they also tried to sell me all kinds of extra products.