Would you get on a ship today?

Goodtime Cruizin

20 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Surprising that anyone would book a trip to Mexico.   In the U.S., there is a Level 3 “Advise against travel to Mexico”.   This is because of COVID and crime.   Many islands that had a milder travel advisory are back to Level 3 or 4.   Of course many folks in the U.S. will not follow any rules so they definitely don’t follow Department of State advisories.    Of course if they need to be rescued they will expect the full force of the U.S. to evacuate them “free of charge.”

Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas are very safe

4 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

Most don't realize that statistics show most COVID-19 is transmitted through 'community spread' not from cruise ships ... this means from friends, neighbors, and visitors to the home  ... with the new cruising mandates it is probable (yes there is no hard test data back yet) that cruising will be one of the safest places to be ... 🙂 ... better probabilities than restaurants and airplanes ... good luck to all!

Just wondering how it could be transmitted through cruise ships when they’re not sailing?? Not exactly a fair comparison. I do agree with what you said about cruising probably being safer when it does start again

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas are very safe

Seriously? I suggest you visit the travel warnings for those areas, not related to Covid. Safer than some other areas? Definitely. Very safe? Not according to the US state department.  Go check it out online; I just did.

5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Seriously? I suggest you visit the travel warnings for those areas, not related to Covid. Safer than some other areas? Definitely. Very safe? Not according to the US state department.  Go check it out online; I just did.

- There are no restrictions on travel for U.S government employees to: Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Riviera Nayarit (including Puerto Vallarta), Chapala, and Ajijic.

- There are no restrictions on travel for U.S. government employees in Baja California Sur, which includes tourist areas in: Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, and La Paz.

Both Cabo and PV have a very large expat population, both are very safe, I know, I go there.  I suggest you pay closer attention to details when you read, go re-check it out on-line.

We had a cruise booked for late January 2021, but just cancelled it.  Not because I think the cruise lines will be doing a poor job (I think they will be trying to do an EXCELLENT job).  We cancelled because they leave out of Florida and apparently the Governor there thinks the virus is gone away.  With all of the bars and clubs open and no masks required, surely some of the people on the cruise will be out partying the night before.  As seen with Trump, the tests do not show positive until a couple of days after you get the bug.  So I'm thinking that there will be some people on the ship, that will pass the test, and will come down with it bad a few days later.  Then what????

Not interested on being stuck on a 'sick ship'   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

- There are no restrictions on travel for U.S government employees to: Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Riviera Nayarit (including Puerto Vallarta), Chapala, and Ajijic.

- There are no restrictions on travel for U.S. government employees in Baja California Sur, which includes tourist areas in: Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, and La Paz.

Both Cabo and PV have a very large expat population, both are very safe, I know, I go there.  I suggest you pay closer attention to details when you read, go re-check it out on-line.

What you state about no restrictions is true. But perhaps you missed the sentence at the top about crime. These areas are safer than much of Mexico but “very safe”  they definitely are not. And I can read just fine, thank you. No need for insults.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bcamnb said:

To Covepointcruiser - yes, and for Canadians, ALL non-essential travel outside of the country is not recommended. In fact, unless you live IN the Maritimes, you can't even travel there!

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/221

A minor correction: those living outside the Maritime bubble can still travel there but must self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival. While that doesn't eliminate tourism per se, not many of us are willing to do so. We cancelled our biennial visit for 2020. :classic_sad:  

2 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

What you state about no restrictions is true. But perhaps you missed the sentence at the top about crime. These areas are safer than much of Mexico but “very safe”  they definitely are not. And I can read just fine, thank you. No need for insults.

🌴🍹🏖️ cocktails on the beach in PV...just what the govt ordered

• Like 1

I don't understand how the cruise lines will handle their own pre-existing conditions stipulations. All passengers over 50 have some sort of pre-existing conditions like high blood pressure. And those younger could very well have had a mild case of Covid and may not even know it. Can they get it again? Are they still carriers? The medical professionals are learning as we go along.

And some people are leading a much more active lifestyle than others. Where to you draw the line at being safe enough to cruise? How could anyone prove it?

You also have to wonder if any physician would sign a letter that says their patient is all clear to take a cruise out of the country while the numbers of cases are surging again everywhere but in Asia.

I want to cruise again. But I want everyone to be able to enjoy their vacation without a lot of unanswered questions hanging over our heads. Good luck to those who will volunteer to do these test scenarios. With the Norovirus season fast upon us,  they might end up being quarantined in their cabins for the full cruise just as easily as Covid. At least they might not end up on a ventilator on ship?

I'll wait for the vaccine. I have faith that one will be available to everyone sometime next year. Once immunity builds up to an acceptable level by the end of the year in all ports that the ships cruise from and to, we will be on our way to cruising again.

That being said, everyone going on a board will be required to provide proof that they have taken the vaccine before boarding. Then we should be sailing with assurance to a good degree of safety again.

I have confidence that we will be OK if we use some common sense.  But don't expect precautions like masks, social distancing and reduced passenger counts to end for a while. The cruise lines can't afford even one breakout on any of their ships. They will be extra cautious to save their industry.

• Like 1

Let GO!!!!!   Ships are the subject to many travelers from around the world that sometimes bring their illness with them and U.S. as Americans are subjected to these illnesses all the time and we triumph over them, all the time, ships aren't the carries.  If you feel that you may catch something, then stay home, more for the ones that are stronger and unafraid.   ✌️🐔

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, fairweather said:

I don't understand how the cruise lines will handle their own pre-existing conditions stipulations. All passengers over 50 have some sort of pre-existing conditions like high blood pressure. And those younger could very well have had a mild case of Covid and may not even know it. Can they get it again? Are they still carriers? The medical professionals are learning as we go along.

And some people are leading a much more active lifestyle than others. Where to you draw the line at being safe enough to cruise? How could anyone prove it?

You also have to wonder if any physician would sign a letter that says their patient is all clear to take a cruise out of the country while the numbers of cases are surging again everywhere but in Asia.

I want to cruise again. But I want everyone to be able to enjoy their vacation without a lot of unanswered questions hanging over our heads. Good luck to those who will volunteer to do these test scenarios. With the Norovirus season fast upon us,  they might end up being quarantined in their cabins for the full cruise just as easily as Covid. At least they might not end up on a ventilator on ship?

I'll wait for the vaccine. I have faith that one will be available to everyone sometime next year. Once immunity builds up to an acceptable level by the end of the year in all ports that the ships cruise from and to, we will be on our way to cruising again.

That being said, everyone going on a board will be required to provide proof that they have taken the vaccine before boarding. Then we should be sailing with assurance to a good degree of safety again.

I have confidence that we will be OK if we use some common sense.  But don't expect precautions like masks, social distancing and reduced passenger counts to end for a while. The cruise lines can't afford even one breakout on any of their ships. They will be extra cautious to save their industry.

THE CDC order does not limit pre-existing conditions for passenger cruises, only for the practice cruises.

I just can't see cruising until things are under control.   We generally take TA, PA's and repositioning and can't see being out in the middle of the Atlantic days away from a port during a pandemic.   Too much could happen.

On other cruises the requirements of tours limitations would be a negative.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fairweather said:

That is a generalization, and an incorrect assumption on your part. I don't know where you get your information from, but my Dh And I are over 60 and do NOT have high blood pressure or any other pre-existing condition. I am sure there are many other healthy people in our age group.  Perhaps you should check your facts before you make blanket statements like that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes, no different than any other thing we are doing now with other people...  school, jobs, shopping, etc.  The thing is, when we go to do those things we are around random people who haven't been tested, may or may not have symptoms, etc.  Going on a cruise, you will be around the same people, all of them will have to be tested before boarding and more than likely will be very careful not to get exposed after the test as to not miss out on their cruise.  Yes, there is still a chance someone came onboard with the virus, but what are the chances that I will be in contact with that person?  If they keep the protocol of having to clean often and the changes in dining, there should be very little chance that I will be touching the same thing, in the exact same spot, in the amount of time before the virus dies on a surface.  Plus, the death rate is low, and if you are in the high risk groups, you should use common sense and not go.  

55 minutes ago, Jess W said:

Yes, no different than any other thing we are doing now with other people...  school, jobs, shopping, etc.  The thing is, when we go to do those things we are around random people who haven't been tested, may or may not have symptoms, etc.  Going on a cruise, you will be around the same people, all of them will have to be tested before boarding and more than likely will be very careful not to get exposed after the test as to not miss out on their cruise.  

Some of us are not "doing things with other people". We are working from home, ordering groceries via delivery, not dining out and meeting with friends/family only via Zoom.  There's no way taking a cruise would be safer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Surprising that anyone would book a trip to Mexico.   In the U.S., there is a Level 3 “Advise against travel to Mexico”.   This is because of COVID and crime.   Many islands that had a milder travel advisory are back to Level 3 or 4.   Of course many folks in the U.S. will not follow any rules so they definitely don’t follow Department of State advisories.    Of course if they need to be rescued they will expect the full force of the U.S. to evacuate them “free of charge.”

this is quite a broad statement. If you look at the state department website nearly every country says ‘reconsider travel’ due to Covid. It is clear that the US state department wants to discourage international travel. I would assume that other countries would have a similar warning for US travel.

as far as the ‘reconsider travel’ for crime, that only applies to some states, and not where we are going. A bit like saying you shouldn’t go to cincinnati because crime in Chicago is high right now. Clearly you don’t travel to Mexico or else you would be aware that travel advisories like this are always in effect there, they don’t apply to most of the tourist areas, and in the tourist areas it’s no more dangerous than a big city in the US.

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Some of us are not "doing things with other people". We are working from home, ordering groceries via delivery, not dining out and meeting with friends/family only via Zoom.  There's no way taking a cruise would be safer.

It’s great that you have the option to work from home. If I had the option I might feel differently than I do. The reality I have to life within is the fact that my husband and I work at a place where most employees think Covid is not a threat and don’t take precautions at work or at home. Therefore Covid rates at work are spiking so that is where I am the most likely to catch it. Working from home isn’t an option for us. And the people at the top of the organization also don’t take it seriously so the attitude of taking precautions like masks snd social distancing aren’t preached or practiced. I’ve worked here for 13 years and am in line for a promotion so changing jobs isn’t a good option for me.

10 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

That is a generalization, and an incorrect assumption on your part. I don't know where you get your information from, but my Dh And I are over 60 and do NOT have high blood pressure or any other pre-existing condition. I am sure there are many other healthy people in our age group.  Perhaps you should check your facts before you make blanket statements like that.

Then I suppose some people were just born cranky and crabby?  Maybe the cruise lines will introduce a new activity for you once they reopen: Pistols at dawn on the pool deck with anyone who makes a comment that indicates you might be less than Superwoman? Enjoy your next cruise.

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Then you fall under the last part I wrote.  If you have a fear or are in the high risk category, stay home.  The rest of us choose to live life.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fairweather said:

Then I suppose some people were just born cranky and crabby?  Maybe the cruise lines will introduce a new activity for you once they reopen: Pistols at dawn on the pool deck with anyone who makes a comment that indicates you might be less than Superwoman? Enjoy your next cruise.

Sorry, not going to play the game.

And yes, thanks, I will definitely enjoy my next cruise.

• Like 3

Thinking a bermuda cruise from NJ/NY port (local) this summer-  I want to see how the cruise lines are handling everything covid related first- I don't think it would be much fun to see the performers in masks- the rest of the staff sure np & I am fine with no self-serve at the buffet & wearing a mask in public nbd to me & using the cruise lines excursions also not a big deal especially in the caribbean.  

I am concerned about purchasing travel insurance and would be careful to read exactly what it covers.

Will have to just wait and see how everything goes- never thought cruising would be shut down this long! 

The cruise we canceled in 2021 was a 10 day - so it's going to be canceled now anyway. (CDC said 7 days max crusie)

Carnival Has removed December cruises from their website and Norwegian just cancelled December cruises.

Royal will do as it wants to..

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23796-carnival-removes-december-cruises-from-website.html

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23799-norwegian-cancels-all-december-cruises.html