Would you get on a ship today?

Goodtime Cruizin

3 hours ago, LGW59 said:

So, would you get on a ship today?

Yes, see my response above. I definitely understand why others would not. I want to emphasize that I would not go for longer than a handful of days, I would be in a balcony cabin or suite and I would minimize contact with others, just as I do at home. The difference is no dishes, no cooking and much relaxing with the ocean.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2020 at 12:53 PM, GlobalMethod said:

Statically, most transmissions are from "community spread" ... that means friends, family & visitors to your home ... best regards

Have a read of my posts again. I was talking about my situation and you have no knowledge of that. As I said I have pretty much zero risk at home because the above doesn't apply. 

Phil 

For anyone waiting until it "is over", the facts are that it may never be according to the experts.  If by "over" you mean much better controlled, we can all hope (and expect) that day will come.  I presume that is what people mean when they say when it's over.  But most of what I have read says this virus is going to be with us for years.  We will (in all likelihood) have reasonably effective vaccines, and eventually that plus some level of immunity will slow the spread considerably.  I expect treatment will also continue to improve.  But "over'?  Not gonna happen.  Let's just hope that it improves enough so that (among much more important reasons of course) we can all sail reasonably safely in a scenario much closer to "normal" without masks, without the need for ship shore excursions, etc., etc..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Absolutely Yes. Currently booked on celebrity infinity December 5 2020 sailing out of Miami.  Do I believe this will sail?  Nope. Do I have a backup plan? Yes. Currently booked on celebrity infinity March 27 2021.  We have not stopped traveling or vacationing. Returned from all inclusive in Cancun October 3.  Had an absolute blast.  Yes we wear a mask if close contact but we will continue vacationing. Haven’t we always had the flu? Yes.  Haven’t we always had norovirus? Yes.  Did we stop cruising then, nope.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, wagontrail said:

Absolutely Yes. Currently booked on celebrity infinity December 5 2020 sailing out of Miami.  Do I believe this will sail?  Nope. Do I have a backup plan? Yes. Currently booked on celebrity infinity March 27 2021.  We have not stopped traveling or vacationing. Returned from all inclusive in Cancun October 3.  Had an absolute blast.  Yes we wear a mask if close contact but we will continue vacationing. Haven’t we always had the flu? Yes.  Haven’t we always had norovirus? Yes.  Did we stop cruising then, nope.  

Is the flu or norovirus anywhere near as contagious or deadly as Covid-19.  Nope.   Your health, your choice, but comparing it to those two means next to nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2020 at 10:42 AM, wagontrail said:

You do what makes you feel best and I will do what makes me feel best.  

How about I will do what makes me feel safest?

I have not been in a rush to resume cruising.  My latest belwether is the CDC Level 3 warning. Clearly it is not safe to cruise right now. And before we get into any politics, the UK has a similar warning:

"The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office advises against cruise ship travel at this time. This is due to the ongoing pandemic and is based on medical advice from Public Health England."

This is a de facto deterrent in the UK as their insurance companies will not provide insurance for cruisers while such a warning is current. (And unlike the US, insurance is a requirement.)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

How about I will do what makes me feel safest?

I have not been in a rush to resume cruising.  My latest belwether is the CDC Level 3 warning. Clearly it is not safe to cruise right now. And before we get into any politics, the UK has a similar warning:

"The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office advises against cruise ship travel at this time. This is due to the ongoing pandemic and is based on medical advice from Public Health England."

This is a de facto deterrent in the UK as their insurance companies will not provide insurance for cruisers while such a warning is current. (And unlike the US, insurance is a requirement.)

No problem here. Never said that everyone should cruise.   I feel safe cruising just as I feel safe flying in a plane full of people and shoulder to shoulder with my seat neighbor.  Sitting in a crowded restaurant with it being ok to remove your mask to eat and drink for hours.  Do whatever makes it safe for you. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wagontrail said:

I feel safe cruising just as I feel safe flying in a plane full of people and shoulder to shoulder with my seat neighbor.  Sitting in a crowded restaurant with it being ok to remove your mask to eat and drink for hours.

Most don't realize that statistics show most COVID-19 is transmitted through 'community spread' not from cruise ships ... this means from friends, neighbors, and visitors to the home  ... with the new cruising mandates it is probable (yes there is no hard test data back yet) that cruising will be one of the safest places to be ... 🙂 ... better probabilities than restaurants and airplanes ... good luck to all!

• Like 1

Not me. I'm staying home in NJ until safe.  There is no cure, no vaccine, thousands are getting sick daily, deaths keep mounting up, and people are not wearing masks or socially distancing even though there is a state mandate to do it.  Restaurants are supposed to have 25% occupancy. However,  it amazes me that many just are stupid and can't adjust to 25% or 6' apart.  So for now, staying at home, getting bored and tired of waiting.  Every time you leave your house, you risk getting sick.  It's sad that we are in this mess.  Maybe , it's time for a serious lock down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My answer is no but I think it’s for a different reason than a lot of posters. It’s not primarily due to fear of catching Covid.  I have to be realistic about the fact that I am the most likely to catch Covid at this point at work. Part of my job is maintaining records for everyone tested, sick, or off for any Covid related reason and new people are getting sick every day at work now. 

I am actually booked on a trip in a couple weeks at an all inclusive in Mexico. But I wouldn’t take a cruise. Why? Because Mexico doesn’t Covid test, so no being randomly turned away or stuck quarantining somewhere. And because I feel good about having the space at a land resort to social distance. I’m not interested in getting stuck with all the restrictions that will accompany cruising when it restarts.

3 hours ago, wagontrail said:

Do whatever makes it safe for you. 

Really ???? I always thought that social distancing and wearing a mask is the proper way and a courtesy to protect others as well as yourself. 

46 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Really ???? I always thought that social distancing and wearing a mask is the proper way and a courtesy to protect others as well as yourself. 

Pinboy,  before you reply you should read above.  On Friday at 0945 my post said that I do wear mask. Good Grief.

Surprising that anyone would book a trip to Mexico.   In the U.S., there is a Level 3 “Advise against travel to Mexico”.   This is because of COVID and crime.   Many islands that had a milder travel advisory are back to Level 3 or 4.   Of course many folks in the U.S. will not follow any rules so they definitely don’t follow Department of State advisories.    Of course if they need to be rescued they will expect the full force of the U.S. to evacuate them “free of charge.”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Of course many folks in the U.S. will not follow any rules so they definitely don’t follow Department of State advisories.    Of course if they need to be rescued they will expect the full force of the U.S. to evacuate them “free of charge.”

LOL--- Just read some of the CC'ers posts.