Pfizer vaccine formally approved in Oz

7 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

NZ scheduled for a March start up,but I-read the manufacturer is having problems keeping up with supplying the demand .

Time will tell if this is correct, we just have to wait & see 🤔

In mid January, Pfizer announced that it would be renovating its vaccine factory in Puurs, Belgium to increase its production. To do this they would have to reduce the quantity of vaccine they could ship to countries for three to four weeks, but by mid February, the enlarged facility would be in full production. Maybe this is why the earlier-stated roll-out date for Australia of mid February, has been changed to late February.

This factory in Belgium supplies vaccine to all countries other than USA.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

In mid January, Pfizer announced that it would be renovating its vaccine factory in Puurs, Belgium to increase its production. To do this they would have to reduce the quantity of vaccine they could ship to countries for three to four weeks, but by mid February, the enlarged facility would be in full production. Maybe this is why the earlier-stated roll-out date for Australia of mid February, has been changed to late February.

This factory in Belgium supplies vaccine to all countries other than USA.

Is USA making its own Pfizer vaccine? 

33 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

You beat me to it - yes, USA produces their own supply of Pfizer vaccine.

In a post over in Celebrity it was mentioned that a Canadian, either the PM or a premier I can't remember which, has asked Biden for more Pfizer shots. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

6 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

One suggestion in the States had been to give half doses as they are having supply problems.

In USA it has been reported that there have been problems with distribution because the previous administration didn't have complete plans in place. Some vaccines have passed their use-by date because they haven't been administered in time. A doctor who took some doses (a couple of dozen from memory) to administer to his relatives, used the excuse that the vaccines had reached their use-by dates and would have to be discarded if he didn't make use of them.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

One suggestion in the States had been to give half doses as they are having supply problems.

The mayor of NYC suggested this last week and so far it has been rejected.  (So far)  Many appointments for NYC were cancelled on Thursday and Friday due to shortage.

59 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

In a post over in Celebrity it was mentioned that a Canadian, either the PM or a premier I can't remember which, has asked Biden for more Pfizer shots. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Canadian PM asked Biden to share their weekly purchase from Pfizer Michigan, since Canada 's supply also coming from Pfizer Michigan is going to be short.  Like asking a good friend for their last bottle of water when they are both walking in the desert.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

There is a strange, but true report of dose availability and syringes.

The vials officially contain 5 doses, drawn off individually.  However, each vial also contains a little more vaccine which cannot be accessed.

So, they are trying to get hold so a special type is syringe which can draw out the last bits to make extra doses available.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/01/22/pfizer-vaccine-doses-syringes/

Edited by Docker123
  • Like 1

Thanks Brandee for all your inside information on what is happening in North America.

All very interesting, we do get some US news here but not as detailed as what you have told us.

We are waiting and wondering how many doses of Pfizer we will get here in late February. Ours will be coming from Europe.

• Like 1

Just now, Docker123 said:

The vials officially contain 5 doses, drawn off individually.  However, each vial also contains a little more vaccine which cannot be accessed.

So, they are trying to get hold so a special type is syringe which can draw out the last bits to make extra doses available.

I did hear today on the news that as Pfizer has sold the vaccine by the doses and not by the vial they are looking/thinking about at reducing the number of vials they are supplying to reflect this.

But of course vaccination centres have to get these special syringes first.

• Like 1

So the Pfizer is the good stuff, but what is the name of the not so good stuff we are getting, i suppose us oldies will get the not so good stuff.

this going to take 3 yrs to vaccinate us in Oz.

Edited by NSWP

8 minutes ago, sewgood said:

I did hear today on the news that as Pfizer has sold the vaccine by the doses and not by the vial they are looking/thinking about at reducing the number of vials they are supplying to reflect this.

But of course vaccination centres have to get these special syringes first.

According to chief medical doc Sanjay Gupta that syringe does not at this time exist but is quickly being worked on.  Every dose is important.  So far..5% of US population has one dose (17.4 million) and 3 million have 2 doses.  On Friday 1.6million were vaccinated.  But distribution is very scattered and many major cities ran out on Thursday.

21 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

According to chief medical doc Sanjay Gupta that syringe does not at this time exist but is quickly being worked on.  Every dose is important.  So far..5% of US population has one dose (17.4 million) and 3 million have 2 doses.  On Friday 1.6million were vaccinated.  But distribution is very scattered and many major cities ran out on Thursday.

And you have what 360 million people? X 2 doses. Monumental job. Got to be 3 yrs.

Good luck with it all  Brandee. Sincerley..God Bless America.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, NSWP said:

So the Pfizer is the good stuff, but what is the name of the not so good stuff we are getting, i suppose us oldies will get the not so good stuff.

When you make an appointment for the vaccine in US (or wait on line for first come, first serve), you do not know if you are getting Pfizer or Moderna vaccine.  Johnson and Johnson is now pushed to April for approval and distribution..it keeps getting delayed.  Astra Zeneca is not in the news lately???

I thought giving it to residents of senior homes first, was on purpose to see if it wasn't good...Oh well!!

Currently only 40% of NY's healthcare workers are vaccinated.  Pretty low.  

There are so many stories and numbers being thrown around it is very confusing to find the actual truth.

What I do know is that after two weeks of calling the NYS vaccine appointment hotline, both my husband and I (separately) finally got appointments.  Approximately 150 calls to the hotline and we have appointments (actual cancellations by other people) for March 31 and April 5th.  We have no idea what vaccine we will get.

Edited by BRANDEE
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

AstraZenica, plus there is another one that Australia is sourcing, not sure if it's the Moderna one or something else. I see if I can find it.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

AstraZenica, plus there is another one that Australia is sourcing, not sure if it's the Moderna one or something else. I see if I can find it.

We oldies coming to the end of our life will get the AstraZenica for sure, certain people will get the top shelf stuff ...Pfizer.

Just now, NSWP said:

We oldies coming to the end of our life will get the AstraZenica for sure, certain people will get the top shelf stuff ...Pfizer.

The third one is Novavax which might prove to be the best yet. Australia is to get 51 million doses. It's also supposed to be available in the next couple of months.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The third one is Novavax which might prove to be the best yet. Australia is to get 51 million doses. It's also supposed to be available in the next couple of months.

Thanks my lady. So no  Moderna here?

Edited by NSWP

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

51 million doses should take care of your total population.  That would be great.  Our need is 700 million doses for our total population.  Although they are currently not advising to give to under 16yrs of age. Like Les said..a monumental job!   Is the Novavax one or two doses.  I read that Johnson and Johnson was one dose but can not find that article again, so not sure.