Pfizer vaccine formally approved in Oz

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Thanks my lady. So no  Moderna here?

No but the fourth option is whatever the Covax agreement comes up with. Who knows what that will be. But if they get all the AstraZenica doses and all the Novavax doses then that's enough to vaccinate everyone in Australia twice over.

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Health Secretary Professor Brendan Murphy advised that the Australian Government will not be seeking to procure Moderna’s vaccine, due to the similarity with Pfizer’s.

I'm not rushing to take a vaccine they developed in record speed & has not been tested for any long term side effects as yet. I am not in any high risk group (aged, obese, diabetic etc) & don't take the flu vaccine normally so will wait this one out & see how it goes. There will most likely be no cruising out of Australia this year anyway so there is no rush from my perspective. 🙂  

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I read that Australia is getting 10 million Pfizer doses from Belgium by mid February.  (More numbers and news).  But I also read that Italy is threatening to sue Pfizer for not delivering the amount promised..Like that will really help the situation!!

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We oldies coming to the end of our life will get the AstraZenica for sure, certain people will get the top shelf stuff ...Pfizer.

From what I have read, I think Aus is getting supplies of Pfizer first and later, supplies of AstraZenica. As far as I have read, the Pfizer is the only one that has been approved in Aus so far.

The schedule for vaccination is as follows:

Phase 1a (which is the first phase), made up of 678,000 people, includes quarantine and border workers, frontline health workers, and aged care and disability staff and residents. People in this group will receive the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine which has been approved.

Phase 1b is expected to cover 6.1 million people including anyone over 70 years old, other healthcare workers, younger adults with an underlying condition and high-risk workers like emergency services personnel and meat processing workers. It also includes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who are over 55.

If the Pfizer vaccine is the only one approved by the time group 1b is due for a jab, presumably we (me included) will get that one. I wouldn't assume the government will give the 'oldies' the AstraZenica.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

51 million doses should take care of your total population.  That would be great.  Our need is 700 million doses for our total population.  Although they are currently not advising to give to under 16yrs of age. Like Les said..a monumental job!   Is the Novavax one or two doses.  I read that Johnson and Johnson was one dose but can not find that article again, so not sure.

Pfizer is the first one on order. Astra is another, with a lot more doses because it is easier to store and transport.

Novavax has just been given approval to apply for approval with the Therapeutic Goods Administration. Means all documents, data etc have been made available.

The number of doses Australia is ordering is not just for our population. A commitment has been made to supply many of the Pacific and South Pacific nations. Good for them as part of our international aid.

Good for us because when we eventually travel there, we will have a strong degree of certainty that the health environment is safe. Travel insurance, if you will.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We oldies coming to the end of our life will get the AstraZenica for sure, certain people will get the top shelf stuff ...Pfizer.

Truth be told Astra Zenica might be better for older people especially if they have lot of underlying disorders. Pfizer vaccine can have some pretty strong side effects which for a person with average health is one day of feeling a bit crook but for someone with a lot of health problems could be one problem too many. The best way to distribute the vaccines should on a case by case basis but in the middle of a pandemic it is hard to be selective. Point is one should not look at Astra Zenica as inferior. It is different but it can also be the right one for the right circumstances🤗

29 minutes ago, avalon007 said:

I'm not rushing to take a vaccine they developed in record speed & has not been tested for any long term side effects as yet. I am not in any high risk group (aged, obese, diabetic etc) & don't take the flu vaccine normally so will wait this one out & see how it goes. There will most likely be no cruising out of Australia this year anyway so there is no rush from my perspective. 🙂  

Same. I never taken the flu shot. I can't remember the last time I had the flu. I've got an auto immune diease so last thing I need is a rushed vaccine to send my immune system in to overdrive. It already works overtime. 

Like the article says ..

Why has Australia not approved a vaccine yet?

University of South Australia epidemiologist Professor Adrian Esterman said the answer was simple: there’s no need to hurry.

He said it’s important to remember the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine in the UK and the US has only received "emergency approval", meaning stage three trials are not finished yet, but the demand is just too great to wait.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are not in the same situation as US or UK. I rather they refine it a bit first.

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Pfizer is the first one on order. Astra is another, with a lot more doses because it is easier to store and transport.

Novavax has just been given approval to apply for approval with the Therapeutic Goods Administration. Means all documents, data etc have been made available.

The number of doses Australia is ordering is not just for our population. A commitment has been made to supply many of the Pacific and South Pacific nations. Good for them as part of our international aid. I would be incensed if pacific islanders or other such recipients of aust foreign aid got it before us residents and tax payers.

30 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Good for us because when we eventually travel there, we will have a strong degree of certainty that the health environment is safe. Travel insurance, if you will.

Knowing this government, the islanders will get it before us, after all the australian indiigenous are  getting some priority, which i question.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

There is no stockpile as originally reported by trumps administration.  And Biden found out on Wednesday there is no plan.  trump totally ignored the distribution of the vaccine.  So the roll out is a mess.  Assumptions were made by state officials of higher availability, plus the trump people never purchased additional doses from Pfizer back in October. for more doses and distribution promises got ahead of itself.

I have been reading even around CC of Americans travelling to different states to acquire the vaccine. It does feel like the distribution is fairly uneven. Are states having to stock their own vaccine supplies? It seems to me like this should be the Federal government controlling the roll out🤔

Edited by ilikeanswers

3 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have been reading even around CC of Americans travelling to different states to acquire the vaccine. It does feel like the distribution is fairly uneven. Are states having to stock their own vaccine supplies? It seems to me like this should be the Federal government controlling the roll out🤔

So the american cruising dream could be set back 2 or 3 years. What a mess. I read of some couple travelling 300 miles each way to get a jab.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I want the Pfizer one, they invented ***** and if they can raise the dead, they should be able to heal the living.image.png.bfa561b0b080e4fe6cc354d7768224cf.png😂

No idea why that word got ****** out, it is the name of a medicine.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Some states allowed anyone to get a vaccine, while most limited it to residents.  Florida was giving it to anyone and found too many out of state residents driving and flying in for the vaccine. So now, Florida is limiting it to residents only. 

The federal program, Operation Warp Speed, headed by VP Pence,  never had a plan.  Each state was allocated between 9 to 10 % of dose one for their population and it was up to each state to decide exactly who to give it to but also using the CDC guidelines for phases. It was also up to each state how to get delivery of vaccine from manufacturer, storage and distribution of vaccine to public.  Also it was told to state governors that a stockpile of second doses existed.  

Some states were quicker to get things in order and some not.  The refrigeration of the pfizer caused many headaches.

50+ different procedures and now shortages.  In Florida they did not even have the same policies statewide..  In some areas you needed an appointment and in other areas wait in line as a first come first serve.

The governor of NY said he was willing to buy more vaccines straight from the manufacturer to get more doses now.  Not sure he can or where is the money coming from?.

Supposedly, Biden is creating a plan...Hope so!!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Docker123 said:

The number of doses Australia is ordering is not just for our population. A commitment has been made to supply many of the Pacific and South Pacific nations. Good for them as part of our international aid.

Novavax has only just commenced their phase three trial in the US in December - no way will this be ready in a couple of months as someone has said. I think the TGA has just given them sort of a pre-approval to submit their documentation and results as they come to hand.

And yes, it is two doses per person.

7 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Truth be told Astra Zenica might be better for older people especially if they have lot of underlying disorders. Pfizer vaccine can have some pretty strong side effects which for a person with average health is one day of feeling a bit crook but for someone with a lot of health problems could be one problem too many. The best way to distribute the vaccines should on a case by case basis but in the middle of a pandemic it is hard to be selective. Point is one should not look at Astra Zenica as inferior. It is different but it can also be the right one for the right circumstances🤗

Couldn't agree with you more regarding the AZ being better for the very old and frail people rather than the Pfizer. Hopefully this will occur to those who are paid the mega bucks to have these good ideas like Brendan Murphy etc.

8 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Ilikeanswers, Well said. 

15 hours ago, NSWP said:

So the Pfizer is the good stuff, but what is the name of the not so good stuff we are getting, i suppose us oldies will get the not so good stuff.

this going to take 3 yrs to vaccinate us in Oz.

We should be all done by October according to the health officials on the news.

Big differences in the roll out of the 2 medicines, this gleaned from last night's news.

Pfizer - imported (limited number) - 85-95 % effectiveness, has to be stored at minus 70-85 degrees, 2 doses, $25 per dose.

Astra - made in Australia so as much as needed, 60-90% effectiveness, stored at 4-8 degrees, 2 doses, $5 per dose.

CSL commenced the manufacture of Astra here in Melbourne sometime in November.

Batches have to undergo an extensive safety and quality control process, then sent to another factory for loading into syringes.

All of this is going on before TAG has given approval for use.