Pfizer vaccine formally approved in Oz

13 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

CSL commenced the manufacture of Astra here in Melbourne sometime in November.

Batches have to undergo an extensive safety and quality control process, then sent to another factory for loading into syringes.

All of this is going on before TAG has given approval for use.

Aren't all vaccines loaded into phials?

2 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Aren't all vaccines loaded into phials?

Some are loaded into phials and then the dose for injection is drawn out.

Others are loaded into single use syringes, which seems to be the Astra case.  Flu vaccinations are usually done from single use syringes.

More precise measurement and less waste. Less chance of cross-contamination. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

No idea why that word got ****** out, it is the name of a medicine.

If it's the medicine I'm thinking of, that's why. Anything that remotely alludes to certain personal activities is removed in case people get offended by it. Even if a word contains a banned combination of letters it is removed. That got quite hilarious on one cooking show forum I used to belong to as one five lettered spice name contains some "naughty" letters.

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

Some are loaded into phials and then the dose for injection is drawn out.

Others are loaded into single use syringes, which seems to be the Astra case.  Flu vaccinations are usually done from single use syringes.

More precise measurement and less waste. Less chance of cross-contamination. 

Yeah I’m on a few drugs that come pre loaded, needle retracted, push against the skin and press a button needle goes in, followed by drug then it all retracts.

16 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

No idea why that word got ****** out, it is the name of a medicine.

I think it is a spam thing. Use to spammers would fill boards with ads for that particular medication so I think moderaters put an automatic ban on the word to try a dissuade the spammers🤔

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah I’m on a few drugs that come pre loaded, needle retracted, push against the skin and press a button needle goes in, followed by drug then it all retracts.

Scary mate, stay safe, have a couple of glasses of red wine per diem, good for you, the doctor said.

🍷🍷

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Scary mate, stay safe, have a couple of glasses of red wine per diem, good for you, the doctor said.

🍷🍷

Nah mate, way less medications than I used to be on, and some of them were darn scary. These are just one for diabetes, after all the other stuff buggered up my pancreas and one for Osteoporosis as my poor old bones crumble to dust, again they think other drugs over the years contributed to that.

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

🍷🍷

Doctor said I need more chocolate, on unrelated news I now call myself doctor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Doctor said I need more chocolate, on unrelated news I now call myself doctor.

I stir up my new veterinarian grandaughter by calling her Doctor, lol. 

The govt could use veterinary surgeries as Covid vaccine dispensing centres, Vets and vet nurses could handle that. Just dont use the horse needles, lol, they are big blighters.

Edited by NSWP

I stir up my new veterinarian grandaughter by calling her Doctor, lol. 

The govt could use veterinary surgeries as Covid vaccine dispensing centres, Vets and vet nurses could handle that. Just dont use the horse needles, lol, they are big blighters.

They could use vet clinics, but I don't think they would. 😁 The vets and vet nurses are well-qualified to administer vaccines. I would be happy to go there, but I think many people wouldn't be so keen. 

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Nah mate, way less medications than I used to be on, and some of them were darn scary. These are just one for diabetes, after all the other stuff buggered up my pancreas and one for Osteoporosis as my poor old bones crumble to dust, again they think other drugs over the years contributed to that.

I have one for diabetes once a week, much easier. Not that my diabetes was out of control, but better for me.

Leigh

17 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I have one for diabetes once a week, much easier. Not that my diabetes was out of control, but better for me.

Leigh

Yeah mine is the weekly one, way better than the twice a day one.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

The govt could use veterinary surgeries as Covid vaccine dispensing centres

There was some talk of using the horse and bull semen distribution networks that vets use, to transport the Pfizer vaccine. As they are already setup for ultra low temperature transport and storage, especially in rural areas.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

They could use vet clinics, but I don't think they would. 😁 The vets and vet nurses are well-qualified to administer vaccines. I would be happy to go there, but I think many people wouldn't be so keen. 

I wouldn't want a vet taking my temperature.😝

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I wouldn't want a vet taking my temperature.😝

I know, they have a habit of sticking their BIG thermometers into some strange places, lol.  My granddaughter told me, lol.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Mine is instead of taking Metformin. Never had to have insulin.

I take a Metformin Tab  - Metex XR 1000mg every morning re Diabetes 2.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I disagree, they are going to have sales assistants in local Pharmacies jabbing people, like they do with the flu injections.

Veterinary Science Degree at Uni is 5 to 6 years. Veterinary Nurse is 3 years. They are well qualified.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Mine is instead of taking Metformin. Never had to have insulin.

Same as mine, was on Byetta a daily injection for ages, then they bought out a weekly version, can’t think of its name, some doctors don’t like it, others love it. For me so much more convenient that using your injection then not getting to eat quick enough ir having to eat too soon and getting seriously nauseous etc.

I know, they have a habit of sticking their BIG thermometers into some strange places, lol.  My granddaughter told me, lol.

Yeah, it's a bit tricky trying to convince a cat or dog to hold a thermometer under their tongues.🤣

I wonder if those contactless ones would work with furry faces?

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I disagree, they are going to have sales assistants in local Pharmacies jabbing people, like they do with the flu injections.

Veterinary Science Degree at Uni is 5 to 6 years. Veterinary Nurse is 3 years. They are well qualified.

You may have misunderstood my previous post. 🙂 I agree that a vet or a vet nurse would be qualified to administer vaccinations (I said that in my previous post), but I commented that some people mightn't be keen to go to a vet clinic for a vaccination. I also said that I would be happy with it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

You may have misunderstood my previous post. 🙂 I agree that a vet or a vet nurse would be qualified to administer vaccinations (I said that in my previous post), but I commented that some people mightn't be keen to go to a vet clinic for a vaccination. I also said that I would be happy with it.

Sorry, yes, some people would not be prepared to attend a Vets. I don't think that will happen here anyway.