Pfizer vaccine formally approved in Oz

59 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

This is the Statistica estimates on 1/12 ( 1 Dec).

Astra considerably cheaper in this.

Our Astra vaccine is being manufacturers here in Melbourne. So savings on transport etc.  

Here, vaccinations are covered by the govt. was yours free or a cost?

B97F7C15-6EE6-498F-9F11-7E699C70051E.thumb.jpeg.bdb28cc319f969c06a3238f70f292d82.jpeg

The government is picking up the tab with our tax dollars.  So all vaccines and testing is free.  However, the cost of administering the vaccine may vary according to where you get it.  So far I have not heard of anyone getting any charges. Right now in NY the vaccine is not available through your private doctor only state, city or local government health agencies..or pharmacies

Edited by BRANDEE

13 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

The government is picking up the tab with our tax dollars.  So all vaccines and testing is free.  However, the cost of administering the vaccine may vary according to where you get it.  So far I have not heard of anyone getting any charges. Right now in NY the vaccine is not available through your private doctor only state, city or local government health agencies..or pharmacies

My Veterinarian grandaughter told me Vets will be giving the covid jabs in oz in support of the covid vaccine operation. I think she is hoaxing her grandpa lol. She has always been a joker, lol.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

My Veterinarian grandaughter told me Vets will be giving the covid jabs in oz in support of the covid vaccine operation. I think she is hoaxing her grandpa lol. She has always been a joker, lol.

I'm not sure she is joking.  When the time comes to administer the vaccine, all hands on deck.  Those who are administering our vaccines are usually not doctors..but nurses and pharmacists and medical technicians.

• Like 1

Some smaller GP practices have volunteered, but are worried about the financial side of things. Rebates for the jabs are supposedly not that high, so Dr cost or employing nurses becomes an issue.  

Bigger practices, such as the one I go to, are set up for mass work.

Pharmacists and trained nurses getting the go ahead.

Saw an article today that med students may be used.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/medical-students-slated-to-be-at-sharp-end-of-vaccine-program-20210209-p570w7.html

Perhaps there will be a repeat of the earlier mass testing where they used a lot of military medical staff.

Edited by Docker123
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Some smaller GP practices have volunteered, but are worried about the financial side of things. Rebates for the jabs are supposedly not that high, so Dr cost or employing nurses becomes an issue.  

Bigger practices, such as the one I go to, are set up for mass work.

Pharmacists and trained nurses getting the go ahead.

Saw an article today that med students may be used.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/medical-students-slated-to-be-at-sharp-end-of-vaccine-program-20210209-p570w7.html

Perhaps there will be a repeat of the earlier mass testing where they used a lot of military medical staff.

The amount of manpower that is used at the vaccination facility I went to was unbelievable.  It was a small civic center converted into a 30 room medical center.  National Guard maned the initial line and checked papers and asked eligibility questions...all as you moved from soldier to soldier.  Than a civilian checked your ID and vaccination registration ticket.  Volunteers guided you through the halls keeping everyone, 6 feet apart..thanking people for coming.  More civilians guided to a room where two people took care of paper work and giving you the vaccine and making your next appointment.  Then guided again to a waiting room to rest for 15 minutes before leaving.  This room had para medics if anyone did not feel good.  Than a national guard directed you out.  40 minutes including a bathroom stop.  Everything moved so quickly.  As I walked down the steps of the civic center again I was thanked for coming and be safe.  I was quite impressed with the organization.  There are only two problems right now...not enough vaccines available and too many people deciding to pass on the vaccine.

• Like 3

Would have no problem having the vaccine from any health care person including a vet.

Some doctors are reporting difficulties with accessing the mandatory on line training at present, hopefully it gets sorted out.

Multi dose vials are less common these days because of potential cross infection or wastage. its like using a fountain pen to draw up ink.

10 hours ago, pully8 said:

Multi dose vials are less common these days because of potential cross infection or wastage. its like using a fountain pen to draw up ink.

I don’t understand the possibility of cross infection as wouldnt they need a new syringe for each person? Surely they don’t use the same syringe  🙄🤔 hence no cross infection??

Positive the Pfizer vaccine has 5 doses per vial, so if you are going to get this one, it will be from a multi dose vial. And not sure that we will be able to “request” a particular Brand. It will probably depend what our State Govt purchased from Feds?

Guarantee cities will be first in line - rural areas will lag behind due to supply, as always.

Edited by Porky55

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

I don’t understand the possibility of cross infection as wouldnt they need a new syringe for each person? Surely they don’t use the same syringe  🙄🤔 hence no cross infection??

Positive the Pfizer vaccine has 5 doses per vial, so if you are going to get this one, it will be from a multi dose vial. And not sure that we will be able to “request” a particular Brand. It will probably depend what our State Govt purchased from Feds?

Guarantee cities will be first in line - rural areas will lag behind due to supply, as always.

When I got my Pfizer vaccine..it was in an individual pre measured syringe.  There were about 8/10 on the table , in a tray, all capped.  I saw a tray being delivered to another room while I was getting my vaccine.  The tech who gave me the shot did not have to measure , no mistakes .The used syringe went into a bio bucket.  I'm hoping all medical facilities would use this procedure to prevent cross infection.  But nothing is a sure deal.

• Like 1

Cross contamination can happen in various ways.

The reuse of a needle or syringe is the obvious source. Probably the most unlikely, now days.

Bigger concern is the entry of some sort of “bug” into the mixture and then injected when drawn off.

The vial has a sterile cap, then some plasticy stopper through which the drug is removed by sticking a needle through and drawing off.

Once the cap is removed there is a risk of bugs getting onto the stopper and then into the drug via the needle.  Another is the idea of leaving a needle in place, so a syringe is attached each time to draw off a dose. Basic doorway for bugs to enter.

Dirty hands, unsterile environment when drawing off.

Expiry dates change once a multi-dose is opened.  Can go off more quickly. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

When I got my Pfizer vaccine..it was in an individual pre measured syringe.  There were about 8/10 on the table , in a tray, all capped.  I saw a tray being delivered to another room while I was getting my vaccine.  The tech who gave me the shot did not have to measure , no mistakes .The used syringe went into a bio bucket.  I'm hoping all medical facilities would use this procedure to prevent cross infection.  But nothing is a sure deal.

This would mean that someone(s) are in a sterile environment doing the preparation and filling.

The caps on the needles continue the sterile environment.

I would be running away if they were drawing off doses in front of me in a public vaccination space.

CDC has all sorts of guidelines for the US about required, safe procedures and infection control around vaccinations, vials etc.

• Like 3

Yes, I think there would probably be someone preparing the individual doses in small batches as required.

Having multi-dose vials for transporting the vaccine would be a lot more space-efficient than if they were all single dosage. With the Pfizer vaccine needing very low temp storage conditions being able to pack as much as possible in a small space would be very important.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

I'm not sure she is joking.  When the time comes to administer the vaccine, all hands on deck.  Those who are administering our vaccines are usually not doctors..but nurses and pharmacists and medical technicians.

My Grandaughter is sharpening the big horse needle ready for Covid injections.🤣At the Veterinary Clinic.  She is in Queensland, anything goes up there, lol.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

My Grandaughter is sharpening the big horse needle ready for Covid injections.🤣At the Veterinary Clinic.  She is in Queensland, anything goes up there, lol.

Just be careful going to a vet for the injection.

You may come out sounding more like a boy soprano.

On 2/10/2021 at 2:38 PM, Docker123 said:

This is the Statistica estimates on 1/12 ( 1 Dec).

Astra considerably cheaper in this.

Our Astra vaccine is being manufacturers here in Melbourne. So savings on transport etc.  

Here, vaccinations are covered by the govt. was yours free or a cost?

B97F7C15-6EE6-498F-9F11-7E699C70051E.thumb.jpeg.bdb28cc319f969c06a3238f70f292d82.jpeg

You are absolutely correct, Docker about the relative costs of the different vaccines.

AstraZeneca is by far the least expensive; the company made a commitment to supply the vaccines at no profit to them for the length of the pandemic - highly commendable. Unfortunately, the others have not done the same.

@Brandee, sorry that information you posted is incorrect as far as cost of AstraZeneca goes.

7 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Cross contamination can happen in various ways.

The reuse of a needle or syringe is the obvious source. Probably the most unlikely, now days.

Bigger concern is the entry of some sort of “bug” into the mixture and then injected when drawn off.

The vial has a sterile cap, then some plasticy stopper through which the drug is removed by sticking a needle through and drawing off.

Once the cap is removed there is a risk of bugs getting onto the stopper and then into the drug via the needle.  Another is the idea of leaving a needle in place, so a syringe is attached each time to draw off a dose. Basic doorway for bugs to enter.

Dirty hands, unsterile environment when drawing off.

Expiry dates change once a multi-dose is opened.  Can go off more quickly. 

I read they only have several hours in which to use up the entire vial once it has been opened. I believe it's more efficient if they have one part of the vaccination centre drawing up all the syringes and preparing them to be injected by staff in the patient- facing area. Surely this would help to minimise dosing errors as well as being more sanitary (out of public area) and faster.

I think for most people, we wouldn't need a consultation with our dr to receive the injection; that will take 10 years to get through the population! We should have the old-school, school injection line up where you just file past the nurse and she sticks it in your arm. Anyone else remember doing that? They used the same needle until it was too blunt to use anymore and usually ended up being broken off in some poor kid's arm. I used to find injection day terrifying.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

You are absolutely correct, Docker about the relative costs of the different vaccines.

AstraZeneca is by far the least expensive; the company made a commitment to supply the vaccines at no profit to them for the length of the pandemic - highly commendable. Unfortunately, the others have not done the same.

@Brandee, sorry that information you posted is incorrect as far as cost of AstraZeneca goes.

I was quoting an article by Mark Terry in Biospace.  It was originally published Nov. 2020, but updated Feb 08, 2021.  Perhaps the price was not adjusted.  I also heard that AstraZeneca would be "pennies", but this new article quotes different.  Also it might reflect a US price??

biospace.com/article/comparing-covid-19-vaccines-pfizer-biotech-moderna-astrazeneca-oxford-j-and-j-russia-s-sputnik-v/

Just now, BRANDEE said:

I was quoting an article by Mark Terry in Biospace.  It was originally published Nov. 2020, but updated Feb 08, 2021.  Perhaps the price was not adjusted.  I also heard that AstraZeneca would be "pennies", but this new article quotes different.  Also it might reflect a US price??

biospace.com/article/comparing-covid-19-vaccines-pfizer-biotech-moderna-astrazeneca-oxford-j-and-j-russia-s-sputnik-v/

I'm not sure why the US would be paying so much more than the rest of the world for AZ - I know it's not authorised yet in the US as your governing body insisted on local data but has your government even ordered any?

All the figures I've heard quoted for the AZ vaccine for months has been in the region of 2-3 US dollars or GBP so I don't know why that information was published being seemingly quite incorrect.

Happy for you that you've had part of your vaccine course. We are hoping to actually see some vaccines here eventually and perhaps it won't have just been an empty political promise! I suspect I'll be waiting until August for mine - I"ll be happy with whatever I'm given as for me, the most important thing is to avoid becoming severely ill or dying which all the vaccines seem to achieve. Until then, I'll continue to go out just for medical appointments - it's a strange old life these days, for all of us.

On 1/26/2021 at 7:08 PM, MicCanberra said:

I have a first aid certificate, perhaps I can do my own?

I have daily injections for pain and inflammation, weekly for diabetes, six monthly for osteoporosis. I do the weekly one’s myself, they come ona preloaded pen, Mrs G does the other two one pre;oared the other she has to suck up out of a vial, none are that hard to do.

• Like 1

Just heard on the news, Australia is set to get 80,ooo diesels of Pfizer a week, at two jabs per person that works out to about 2 million people a year, a long way from enough, especially if it turns out we need to get it each year or so.

• Like 1

Just now, GUT2407 said:

I have daily injections for pain and inflammation, weekly for diabetes, six monthly for osteoporosis. I do the weekly one’s myself, they come ona preloaded pen, Mrs G does the other two one pre;oared the other she has to suck up out of a vial, none are that hard to do.

Maybe it depends on whether the injection has to just go under the skin or into the muscle. I used to inject our old dog twice a day for his diabetes but that was just sub-dermal. I know that the covid vaccines have the be in the deltoid muscle which would not be very comfortable if doing to oneself. Still, if it was the only way I could get the covid vaccine, I would do it.

I hope you get relief from your pain with the shots you have - chronic severe pain is no joke.

20 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Wow!! And you still look at cruises!  You are in an inspiration.  

20 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Maybe it depends on whether the injection has to just go under the skin or into the muscle. I used to inject our old dog twice a day for his diabetes but that was just sub-dermal. I know that the covid vaccines have the be in the deltoid muscle which would not be very comfortable if doing to oneself. Still, if it was the only way I could get the covid vaccine, I would do it.

I hope you get relief from your pain with the shots you have - chronic severe pain is no joke.

Nope the new pain one is into the muscle, couldn’t do it myself, too hard to get everything lined up, but three hand we can handle fine.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'm not sure why the US would be paying so much more than the rest of the world for AZ - I know it's not authorised yet in the US as your governing body insisted on local data but has your government even ordered any?

All the figures I've heard quoted for the AZ vaccine for months has been in the region of 2-3 US dollars or GBP so I don't know why that information was published being seemingly quite incorrect.

Happy for you that you've had part of your vaccine course. We are hoping to actually see some vaccines here eventually and perhaps it won't have just been an empty political promise! I suspect I'll be waiting until August for mine - I"ll be happy with whatever I'm given as for me, the most important thing is to avoid becoming severely ill or dying which all the vaccines seem to achieve. Until then, I'll continue to go out just for medical appointments - it's a strange old life these days, for all of us.

Here in the US, AstraZenec has literally fallen off the face of the earth.  They have not submitted any "paperwork" for emergency approval to the FDA. They are still doing clinical trials on Americans, but no expectation of approval until spring.  Meantime, Johnson and Johnson seems to be headed towards approval by the end of February.

Between Pfizer and Moderna they expect 200million doses by the end of March, but with a population of 330million+, herd immunity is far off.

Of course, a lot of politics is involved in all this and that is shameful to be playing with peoples lives.  Following protocol is waning in many parts of the US, so vaccines are going to be more important than ever. That is if 80% of US get it.  

Edited by BRANDEE
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Wow!! And you still look at cruises!  You are in an inspiration.  

I am doubting that we will do too many more cruises, as much as I want to. Unless I can get a wheelchair with better suspension, the last couple of cruises weren’t too nice for the back. Having said that we were booked on another circumnavigation leaving Monday. So haven’t given up totally just yet.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Nope the new pain one is into the muscle, couldn’t do it myself, too hard to get everything lined up, but three hand we can handle fine.

May I ask what travelling cooling  pack you use for your weekly diabetes shots when traveling.  I am always looking for something new and improved.  I use FRIO cooling products, but the Cooling pack is too small for my "stuff" when we do a vacation over 3 weeks.   FRIO is TSA approved, but lately I still have to open it up to the security agents.  Thanks!!