Pfizer vaccine formally approved in Oz

I tend to rely on health.gov.au for my information re the rollout of the vaccines. All the rest is just Media conjecture - which is perfectly fine. 😉

But, I do believe that ALL QUARANTINE WORKERS should be first in line - before anyone else because if the virus is going to get loose in our society, this is now the only place it CAN come from 🤔

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Porky55 said:

I tend to rely on health.gov.au for my information re the rollout of the vaccines. All the rest is just Media conjecture - which is perfectly fine. 😉

But, I do believe that ALL QUARANTINE WORKERS should be first in line - before anyone else because if the virus is going to get loose in our society, this is now the only place it CAN come from 🤔

As I understand there is no guarantee the vaccine stops transmission of the virus, it just stops people from getting seriously ill. My worry is that having the vaccine will make people complacent and careless.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

My worry is that having the vaccine will make people complacent and careless.

Like we were before March 2020?  I’m not sure I will have a problem with that? 🙄

I honestly don’t want to consider a future like the one we currently are existing in IMHO 🤔

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Like we were before March 2020?  I’m not sure I will have a problem with that? 🙄

I honestly don’t want to consider a future like the one we currently are existing in IMHO 🤔

I certainly will have a problem with that if people go back to coughing or sneezing into their hands or without covering their mouth at all, or not washing their hands after using the toilet, or not washing their hands or not using sanitiser before handling serving utensils that other people use. In other words all those bad hygiene habits that spread colds and flu and norovirus around.

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I certainly will have a problem with that if people go back to coughing or sneezing into their hands or without covering their mouth at all, or not washing their hands after using the toilet, or not washing their hands or not using sanitiser before handling serving utensils that other people use. In other words all those bad hygiene habits that spread colds and flu and norovirus around.

I don’t disagree with you on this, but I do think that you might be expecting something to happen that most probably won’t.
People will continue to behave as they always have, and we will just need to live with this and protect ourselves as best we can. 🙄

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And those nasty habits are still going to occur on ships as they still do on land. Take note at the washrooms at shopping centres, motorway service centres, hotels, clubs etc. Germs abound.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

I don’t disagree with you on this, but I do think that you might be expecting something to happen that most probably won’t.
People will continue to behave as they always have, and we will just need to live with this and protect ourselves as best we can. 🙄

I just hope that the pandemic has made people more aware of the necessity to practise good hygiene habits. It won't last forever, of course, once these pandemic days have faded from people's memories some people will slip back into their old unhygienic ways but hopefully a good percentage will continue doing the right thing. Mind you, there are people right now who obviously don't take any notice of all the hygiene recommendations. I see them at my greengrocer - they sail right past the sanitiser table, which is almost impossible to miss, and then go and start picking through the vegetables and fruit with their unsanitised hands.

20 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Given he was a huge proponent of letting the virus rip through the community in a misguided attempt to build the (discredited) 'herd immunity' and given that he and his party mates sought to undermine the best efforts of State leaders to get the virus under control in their own jurisdictions (an outcome he now takes credit for), 

WOW! That's not how I recall it, right from 15-Mar-2020, but I've now read it on the internet so it must be true 😮

14 minutes ago, mr walker said:

WOW! That's not how I recall it, right from 15-Mar-2020, but I've now read it on the internet so it must be true 😮

Well that weekend of the 14/15th March was his 'I'm going to the footy' weekend for starters. I remember well because I had an event I had to attend on the night of the 14th but had taken the decision to put myself into isolation starting the next day (15th March) as I could see the situation becoming more dangerous and had been following medical experts from the UK for some weeks detailing everything they knew about the unfolding virus. A week later, Melbourne started restrictions - couldn't say when Sydney went into restrictions, but the flak we got down here for trying to stay safe is not something we'll forget any time soon.

55 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Me neither mr Walker. On the 15th March 2020 - Ruby Princess hadn’t even returned to Sydney, this event was still 4 days away.

Amazing that others knew more than Govts about what was going to happen  …… but of course, it was on the Internet / Facebook / Twitter …… so as you say …………🤔

As far as this pandemic goes, all governments have had to learn on the job. The course that some countries took has proven to be ill conceived. I feel the Aust government has followed a wise course. There have been errors and mis-steps, but overall Aust (and NZ) are better off than nearly every other country.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Well that weekend of the 14/15th March was his 'I'm going to the footy' weekend for starters.

I don't equate saying he was going to footy with a proposal for herd immunity. We did go to footy on the evening of 14th & then the next day the world sort of changed. I recall watching the press conference on that Sunday & knew that this was something big.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now as we are in a much better position than most other countries on earth for which I am very grateful

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An encouraging example of the effects of vaccination are the figures in the UK. They started vaccinations in December using the Pfizer vaccine and now also use the AstraZeneca. Infections hit a peak of 68,053 new infections on 8th January.  This has now dropped to 10,000 a day by mid February.

2 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I don't equate saying he was going to footy with a proposal for herd immunity. We did go to footy on the evening of 14th & then the next day the world sort of changed. I recall watching the press conference on that Sunday & knew that this was something big.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now as we are in a much better position than most other countries on earth for which I am very grateful

I agree with your comments. When Morrison made his statement of "going to the footy" I took it to be reassurance that our world was not going to change drastically. However, events proved that this attitude was too optimistic. I made a comment earlier about all governments learning on the job about COVID.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

An encouraging example of the effects of vaccination are the figures in the UK. They started vaccinations in December using the Pfizer vaccine and now also use the AstraZeneca. Infections hit a peak of 68,053 new infections on 8th January.  This has now dropped to 10,000 a day by mid February.

Might not heir lockdown also had an effect on the reduction of transmissions?🤔

5 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Might not heir lockdown also had an effect on the reduction of transmissions?🤔

Yes it would have had a big effect on the reduction in case numbers. Vaccinations will make more of an effect when most of the population have had their jabs and also the second one. 

The TGA has approved the use of the Astra Zeneca vaccine for Australians and plans are now being made to distribute it.

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Yes it would have had a big effect on the reduction in case numbers. Vaccinations will make more of an effect when most of the population have had their jabs and also the second one. 

The TGA have approved the use of the Astra Zeneca vaccine for Australians.

Leigh

The approval is not blanket.

So, not under 18.

Possibly more relevant here, over 65 to be assessed on a case by case basis. Now guessing that would be by GP based on various health indicators.

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The TGA have approved the use of the Astra Zeneca vaccine for Australians.

Leigh

In promising news: "a recent study by Oxford University, which has not yet been peer reviewed, found the AstraZeneca vaccine not only prevented severe disease, but appeared to cut transmission of the virus by around 67 per cent." ABC

I went and found the TGA statement which matches my guess:

There are currently limited data available for the efficacy and safety in individuals over 65 years of age. However, the vaccine has been shown to create an immune response in this group and can be used based on the efficacy and safety demonstrated in the general clinical trial population. The decision to immunise an elderly patient should be decided on a case-by-case basis with consideration of age, co-morbidities and their environment taking into account the benefits of vaccination and potential risks.

https://www.tga.gov.au/covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-chadox1-s