Pfizer vaccine formally approved in Oz

2 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I went and found the TGA statement which matches my guess:

There are currently limited data available for the efficacy and safety in individuals over 65 years of age. However, the vaccine has been shown to create an immune response in this group and can be used based on the efficacy and safety demonstrated in the general clinical trial population. The decision to immunise an elderly patient should be decided on a case-by-case basis with consideration of age, co-morbidities and their environment taking into account the benefits of vaccination and potential risks.

https://www.tga.gov.au/covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-chadox1-s

I listened to the professor from the TGA asked about this and his answer was that when giving any medication/drugs to any older person, their medical history has to be taken into account so exactly as Adrian has quoted above. 

Leigh

23 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

If that is the case....

1/2 of  Phase 1B is case by case and

1/5 of Phase 2a is case by case... well over 4 million people

Who is running all this ??

My guess is the Australian Government's Department of Health. Do I get a star?

• Haha 1

I cannot see how the entire Australian population can be vaxxed with two doses by October, as quoted by the spin doctors. Maybe the govt is hoping many people will decline it.

So if you dont get vaxxed by choice or your trip comes up before your vax dates, you cannot board a ship or plane for overseas. Way I see it.

Edited by NSWP

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I cannot see how the entire Australian population can be vaxxed with two doses by October, as quoted by the spin doctors. Maybe the govt is hoping many people will decline it.

The UK has 67.6 million people. They started vaccinations on 27th December (just over seven weeks ago) and have administered 16 million doses.

With the Aust government's timeline, they have 36 weeks to administer around 50 million doses. I feel that the main challenge in Australia will be vaccinating people living in remote areas, but they are probably not as much at risk of contracting COVID as people in the cities.

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

My guess is the Australian Government's Department of Health. Do I get a star?

No  but how about an Elephant Stamp... better than a star

Dept of Help ??

as Adrian  pointed out

The decision to immunise an elderly patient should be decided on a case-by-case basis with consideration of age, co-morbidities and their environment taking into account the benefits of vaccination and potential risks.

So they will need "help" to do case by case for 4 million people... and really these are the peoples most at risk.....    Did somebody miss something or was it just me....

and all this is going to be done by October.... which year ?

It has just got me wondering...... OHHH   the States will sort it out...

Don

Hi Don

i think it is not quite as bad as it sounds. Most of us of a certain age are pretty good at going to the dr. We also usually have some sort of pre-existing condition the dr manages.  Put those together and the case by case gets taken care of.

I had a very quick chat with my gp last time I had a regular appt. She said no impediment for me. Case done.

They are actively trying to sign up gp practices to give the shots which will be a core part.  Some of the smaller practices are concerned about the relatively small reimbursement on offer for quite time consuming work.

I have my flu shots at the gp clinic. The pull up my records to check, even if it is one of the other dr or the nurses. 

Going to pharmacies, med students, etc.,  (or even vets) would be the model for the “healthy” people. Although I am sure there would be a specific set of questions that they have to ask first.

Edited by Docker123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

No  but how about an Elephant Stamp... better than a star

Dept of Help ??

as Adrian  pointed out

The decision to immunise an elderly patient should be decided on a case-by-case basis with consideration of age, co-morbidities and their environment taking into account the benefits of vaccination and potential risks.

So they will need "help" to do case by case for 4 million people... and really these are the peoples most at risk.....    Did somebody miss something or was it just me....

and all this is going to be done by October.... which year ?

It has just got me wondering...... OHHH   the States will sort it out...

Don

Maybe you did miss something. 😁

On the subject of assessing older people for their suitability for vaccination, consider what happened in Norway. Last month Norwegian authorities reported that 23 elderly and frail people died after having the vaccination. Maybe, just maybe, Australian authorities are trying to avoid this occurrence by having older people's GPs certify that they are fit for the vaccine.

33 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Hi Don

i think it is not quite as bad as it sounds. 

30 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe you did miss something. 😁

Thank you both...... yes you are right did miss that....

Can I say a Senior's Moment......lol

I should remember not to let the fingers race ahead of the grey matter...

Cheers Don

7 hours ago, mr walker said:

I don't equate saying he was going to footy with a proposal for herd immunity. We did go to footy on the evening of 14th & then the next day the world sort of changed. I recall watching the press conference on that Sunday & knew that this was something big.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now as we are in a much better position than most other countries on earth for which I am very grateful

Well said 👏

7 hours ago, mr walker said:

I don't equate saying he was going to footy with a proposal for herd immunity. We did go to footy on the evening of 14th & then the next day the world sort of changed. I recall watching the press conference on that Sunday & knew that this was something big.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now as we are in a much better position than most other countries on earth for which I am very grateful

I didn't say that his comment was equivalent to his entire attitude for some time last year. You may note that I said, 'for starters' but whatever. We each have our own perception of our leaders' behaviours.

Think heard the health minister Hunt say today the date of October for all who want the vaccine to be completed has been revised to longer.

Of course with new info from clinical trials globally that could change again and again.

Break through Covid infections are possible after the vaccines, just as it happens following influenza vaccines.

Eventually this will end no one knows when. 

I came across this report about where the proof of vaccine will be held. I will have to get the Express Plus app.

"Proof of vaccination will be recorded on the existing Australian Immunisation Register which can be accessed via MyGov or the Express Plus Medicare mobile app." Source SMH.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

We each have our own perception of our leaders' behaviours.

Their behaviors are irrelevant, it is their actions that matter. Overall I suggest that most of our elected leaders have done a pretty good job, albeit some too jingoistic & reactionary, but a case can be made that it is best to err on the side of caution. Of course to some degree their actions are dictated by the medical advise they are given, so some variance there.

Of course there is one leader who has not done a good job, and it is not the one you are referring to.

19 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

One thing I have noticed.... other states are stating they are starting vaccination next week ..    what is happening in Victoria ?? are we starting next week ??

Nothing on Abc or Vic Gov Web sites ???

Don

Depends when Fed govt releases vaccine to us?

Leigh

Queensland Health has put up a website that shows the priority groups - same as the Federal list that was published weeks ago. For Group 1a there is also provision to 'book an appointment'. It also had the comment that eligible people will be notified. On the TV, it was announced that group 1a will receive their vaccination at a hospital because of the low temperature required to store the Pfizer vaccine.

I will be included with group 1b. From the indications, group 1b are likely to receive their vaccinations at their GP's clinic.

22 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Queensland Health has put up a website that shows the priority groups - same as the Federal list that was published weeks ago. For Group 1a there is also provision to 'book an appointment'. It also had the comment that eligible people will be notified. On the TV, it was announced that group 1a will receive their vaccination at a hospital because of the low temperature required to store the Pfizer vaccine.

I will be included with group 1b. From the indications, group 1b are likely to receive their vaccinations at their GP's clinic.

I'm assuming that the first group in Victoria to receive the vaccine as per the national rollout straregy will have their vaccinations organised by the state government through whatever department they are employed.

I just found this from the Guardian - 

Do you have to apply to receive one of the early doses?

The government has begun contacting people eligible for vaccination in phase 1a.

Frontline workers will have their vaccinations organised by their workplaces, given a large proportion are directly employed by the government.

Aged and disability care facilities are now seeking pre-approval from residents or their families for the vaccine, in order to ensure the doses can be delivered quickly and efficiently once they leave subzero storage facilities on the day.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

One thing I have noticed.... other states are stating they are starting vaccination next week ..    what is happening in Victoria ?? are we starting next week ??

Nothing on Abc or Vic Gov Web sites ???

Don

The only thing I can find with a date says in March.

But that was posted on 4 Feb. everything still couched in terms of vaccine arrival and TGA approval.

In other news, the state Health Department is looking for a Director of Communications. $250-360k. Big bucks to sort this mess out.