Pfizer vaccine formally approved in Oz

23 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

There was an announcement that the first shipment of Pfizer vaccine will arrive this week. Maybe a few people here missed this announcement or don't believe it. 😁 

I heard a load of the Pfizer vaccine is heading to Canberra for the Pollies, senior military officers and senior desk jockeys. They would have to get the best and priority.😁

43 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

There was an announcement that the first shipment of Pfizer vaccine will arrive this week. Maybe a few people here missed this announcement or don't believe it. 😁 

I read it.... but they're not saying which day..... they are scared something might happen...

Health Minister Greg Hunt remained tight lipped about the exact arrival date over fears that could put the product at jeopardy.

"Because this is the most precious of cargoes, we are being cautious with our details in a highly competitive global world""

What is going on ???  Global world ???      well no boats...hang on we have lost the oars......

What next ?? Santa and Easter Bunny aren't real ??

34 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I read it.... but they're not saying which day..... they are scared something might happen...

Health Minister Greg Hunt remained tight lipped about the exact arrival date over fears that could put the product at jeopardy.

"Because this is the most precious of cargoes, we are being cautious with our details in a highly competitive global world""

What is going on ???  Global world ???      well no boats...hang on we have lost the oars......

It was reported a couple of weeks ago that the EU was trying to stop Pfizer exporting vaccines from its factory in Belgium, to countries outside the EU. With diplomatic representations, apparently Australia managed to get assurance from Pfizer that its vaccine would be supplied, but maybe we are in the same position as other countries - receiving less than was promised. Maybe the Aust government is tight lipped on the exact arrival date to try to prevent the EU from stopping the export of the vaccine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

It’s the old political marketing strategy.

Announce you are considering something.

Announce you may look into something

Announce you might have an enquiry

Announce there may be promising results

Announce you are discussing the results

Announce ............

Right again Sir Humphrey.

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

That Greg Hunt is OTT over this vaccine delivery, what are we having, helicopter gunships, armoured cars, SAS and SWAT teams accompanying every shipment. It 

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

That Greg Hunt is OTT over this vaccine delivery, what are we having, helicopter gunships, armoured cars, SAS and SWAT teams accompanying every shipment. It 

I almost don't believe what I've just seen on abc news site:

'The first doses of the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine have touched down in Australia as preparations continue for the first stage of the national rollout, Health Minister Greg Hunt says.

People will begin receiving the vaccine from Monday, February 22, with more than 142,000 doses arriving in Sydney just after midday today.'

One of them better not be Scott Morrison; he needs to wait in the queue like everyone else.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I almost don't believe what I've just seen on abc news site:

'The first doses of the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine have touched down in Australia as preparations continue for the first stage of the national rollout, Health Minister Greg Hunt says.

People will begin receiving the vaccine from Monday, February 22, with more than 142,000 doses arriving in Sydney just after midday today.'

One of them better not be Scott Morrison; he needs to wait in the queue like everyone else.

I see two sides of the question on whether the pollies should be vaccinated first or whether they should wait like everyone else. In other countries, the leaders have been vaccinated on TV to built trust in the vaccine. If Scott Morrison and Dr Hunt aren't vaccinated early, will people say it is because they don't trust the vaccine? If they are vaccinated early, will people say they are jumping the queue? They can't win either way.😁

• Like 4

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

I see two sides of the question on whether the pollies should be vaccinated first or whether they should wait like everyone else. In other countries, the leaders have been vaccinated on TV to built trust in the vaccine. If Scott Morrison and Dr Hunt aren't vaccinated early, will people say it is because they don't trust the vaccine? If they are vaccinated early, will people say they are jumping the queue? They can't win either way.😁

Given he was a huge proponent of letting the virus rip through the community in a misguided attempt to build the (discredited) 'herd immunity' and given that he and his party mates sought to undermine the best efforts of State leaders to get the virus under control in their own jurisdictions (an outcome he now takes credit for), I don't think it is appropriate for him to take a vaccine away from quarantine and health care workers - or any of us in the broader community.

I also think that his government should have forged contracts for vaccines a bit earlier and then started our vaccine programme earlier, which would have been possible if the planning and organisation were there. And now that we have some vaccine - finally - here - he wants to go first? No, sorry, I think that's totally on the nose.

I realise that in some countries like the US, that leaders publicly demonstrated their confidence in the vaccine by their willingness to have it but in those countries they have had a very low percentage of people saying they were willing to be vaccinated and in the case of Kamala Harris, it was particularly important that she demonstrate to the communities of people of colour that the vaccine was safe (as apparently there is a huge reluctance in those communities and distrust of such a programme). They also in the US have a history of an unfortunate and damaging roll-out of a particular vaccine years ago which has scarred the public perception of vaccines.

I think in Australia that we have a large percentage of people desperately wanting the vaccine so we don't need encouraging. And if we did, surely someone like the Chief Medical Officer or CHO Federally and at each State level could have it on camera. I don't think the PM has that much credibility to be honest, anyway.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Actually, just noticed you referred to Greg Hunt as 'Dr'; he's not a doctor of any sort. His academic background is in law and he practised as a solicitor before starting his political career as an advisor to Alexander Downer.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-greg-hunt-mp/minister-hunts-biography

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Being vaccinated live to "instill confidence" in the vaccine is a lame excuse to jump the queue. The Pfizer vaccine has been administered to about a million people so far so I think it's pretty well proven safe, and with the short supply "everyone" should wait their spot in their spot in whatever category they are in. Our Provincial Premier is waiting for his "category" to come up. But our Chief Health Officer Doctor Bonnie Henry was one of the first to get the shot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Actually, just noticed you referred to Greg Hunt as 'Dr'; he's not a doctor of any sort. His academic background is in law and he practised as a solicitor before starting his political career as an advisor to Alexander Downer.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-greg-hunt-mp/minister-hunts-biography

OK. My error. I did not research to see if Greg Hunt is a doctor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Being vaccinated live to "instill confidence" in the vaccine is a lame excuse to jump the queue. The Pfizer vaccine has been administered to about a million people so far so I think it's pretty well proven safe, and with the short supply "everyone" should wait their spot in their spot in whatever category they are in. Our Provincial Premier is waiting for his "category" to come up. But our Chief Health Officer Doctor Bonnie Henry was one of the first to get the shot.

I agree with you. In my opinion, politicians or public servants should not get priority for the vaccination. Firstly, it should go to quarantine workers, hospital staff and then to the more vulnerable people. Whatever the government decides to do, they will be criticized.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

That's okay - no biggie. Just think it's important that people don't think he's a doctor - he has no particular medical expertise or knowledge, is my point. 

I actually find him annoying, as he is so long winded.  Maybe he is that way trying to demonstrate medical expertise or knowledge.  Or maybe it is just his style of talking to the public.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Spin doctor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with you. In my opinion, politicians or public servants should not get priority for the vaccination. Firstly, it should go to quarantine workers, hospital staff and then to the more vulnerable people. Whatever the government decides to do, they will be criticized.

Agree but privilege  means choice. Rest will wait. 

13 minutes ago, pully8 said:

Spin doctor. 

I bet you need a degree or a diploma for that........ I believe Sunshine TAFE runs a course...

Spin.... going round in ever decreasing circles.... then fall over.....

Sorry lockdown is a bit much.....   in fact this whole Covid thingie... I am over it.....lol

Don      did I pick the wrong time to stop drinking...

Edited by getting older slowly
  • Like 2

On the news, of course we always believe Ch7, Scomo is getting jabbed in the first batch, like, end of the week with some other pollies, Labor included. That will be a major event, bigger than the Lympics.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

I bet you need a degree or a diploma for that........ I believe Sunshine TAFE runs a course...

Spin.... going round in ever decreasing circles.... then fall over.....

Sorry lockdown is a bit much.....   in fact this whole Covid thingie... I am over it.....lol

Don      did I pick the wrong time to stop drinking...

You need a couple of double G & T's Don. I just had my daily scotch and dry x 2.

• Like 1