Word on the street....May is not sailing.

Pcardad

8 minutes ago, Shippy said:

Our May Alaska is cancelled along with the rest of the season due to Canada closure of ports.

We switched to a March 2022 Caribbean on the Splendor

Have you rec'd official notification from Regent that your May cruise has been cancelled?

49 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Have you rec'd official notification from Regent that your May cruise has been cancelled?

Pcardad,

No word yet on the cancellation of my May 8th Alaskan cruise yet.  I am not sure why they are holding up on this with the exception of that Regent seems to be doing their cancellations on a monthly basis.  I see it as a "done deal."  

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Regent just put all the Alaskan season on waitlist but didn't touch the New England season; maybe they don't realize Montreal is in Canada.  😃

We have an Alaska cruise scheduled for September and just verified what you posted....that our cruise is indeed now showing WAITLIST for every category. While they haven't officially cancelled the Alaska sailings it is looking more and more unlikely that there will be any Alaska cruises in 2021. I know they are trying to work something out with Canada but it is not looking too hopeful. I am so disappointed after carefully planning all the details of a pre-cruise trip to Denali (on our own), with all hotels, rental car, etc., as well as flights.  This is really going to be devastating for Alaska tourism. Still hoping things might change and maybe they put waitlist for every category so they don't overbook the number of passengers....in the off chance that cruises are allowed to go ahead with less people.  

29 minutes ago, Carol From California said:

We have an Alaska cruise scheduled for September and just verified what you posted....that our cruise is indeed now showing WAITLIST for every category. While they haven't officially cancelled the Alaska sailings it is looking more and more unlikely that there will be any Alaska cruises in 2021. I know they are trying to work something out with Canada but it is not looking too hopeful. I am so disappointed after carefully planning all the details of a pre-cruise trip to Denali (on our own), with all hotels, rental car, etc., as well as flights.  This is really going to be devastating for Alaska tourism. Still hoping things might change and maybe they put waitlist for every category so they don't overbook the number of passengers....in the off chance that cruises are allowed to go ahead with less people.  

Why not make your pre-cruise trip a vacation even if the cruise is cancelled. You can add some extra nights and fly back home again from Anchorage. After our 2018 cruise to Alaska, we spent an extra week there, visiting relatives in Anchorage, then driving to Denali, Fairbanks, Valdez, and some place along Route 1 between Valdez and Anchorage, and ending up back with the relatives before flying home. We really enjoyed it. In fact, I think I may have enjoyed it more than the cruise. We were there the week after Labor Day, and a few things were closed, but we found plenty to do, good places to eat, and the drive was totally spectacular, especially the road to Valdez and back. We did it in a small RV without a car, but there were many B&B's and small lodges that looked very interesting in the areas where we stayed. Both Fairbanks and Valdez have many options for lodging. 

10 hours ago, Carol From California said:

Why not do a train ride? No need to go Gold standard, the views are the same in the cheap seats and there is an observation car. In 2008 we did a pretty cruise trip from Fairbanks to Whittier via Denali and Anchorage. A couple of nights in each place was a great way to get a taste of Alaska before our cruise. 
SWFLAOK is right, you can still use your Denali trip but grow it into a different holiday. It will still be great to get away for a change of scene.

Good luck and happy holidays,

Libby

11 hours ago, NCCruzQueen said:

Pcardad,

No word yet on the cancellation of my May 8th Alaskan cruise yet.  I am not sure why they are holding up on this with the exception of that Regent seems to be doing their cancellations on a monthly basis.  I see it as a "done deal."  

That is the same cruise we were on. After I reading about Canada not letting ships dock this year,

I started doing research on other domestic cruises for next year. We are older an I cannot bear the thought of an international flight.

Looking at deck plans for other cruises, I called Regent to check on some of the cabins that had slightly bigger balconys. I was surprised most were already booked. The lady said they were getting a lot of bookings as people were moving their Alaska cruises from this year.

So I emailed our TA & gave him a date for the Splendor & asked him to keep that handy for when the official word from Regent came out so he could try & just slide us over

To my surprise, he got right back to me & said "done" & sent us the booking confirmation.

Can't find any mention on Regent website but this was found on NCL website:

[quote]2021 Alaska Cruises

Following The Government of Canada’s Interim Order which calls for the suspension of passenger cruising in Canadian waters through February 2022, we will temporarily halt the acceptance of bookings for our 2021 Alaska season. At this time we have not cancelled any voyages in our 2021 Alaska season and are currently exploring several initiatives that may allow such cruises to continue.

We are working through all available options as quickly as possible, and given the fluidity of the current environment, we will also continue to work with the Canadian government to amend the current suspension. We will continue to keep all travel partners and guests updated as the situation progresses, and we thank them for their patience.[/quote]

PS Can anyone explain why the codes for "quote" don't work anymore?  Did they change the code?

Edited by mrlevin

2 hours ago, Shippy said:

That is the same cruise we were on. After I reading about Canada not letting ships dock this year,

I started doing research on other domestic cruises for next year. We are older an I cannot bear the thought of an international flight.

Looking at deck plans for other cruises, I called Regent to check on some of the cabins that had slightly bigger balconys. I was surprised most were already booked. The lady said they were getting a lot of bookings as people were moving their Alaska cruises from this year.

So I emailed our TA & gave him a date for the Splendor & asked him to keep that handy for when the official word from Regent came out so he could try & just slide us over

To my surprise, he got right back to me & said "done" & sent us the booking confirmation.

That was nice of him but Regent hasn't cancelled May yet so I wonder if he converted your payment to a FCC....

3 hours ago, Pcardad said:

That was nice of him but Regent hasn't cancelled May yet so I wonder if he converted your payment to a FCC....

I am sure he probably did, does not really matter to me. I got a straight across booking with no extra $$$.

Regent does not do many domestic cruises. I do not want to go to Seward so that left out Alaska for next year.

My husband did not want to go on the Navigator so we were left with only 2 or 3 cruises in  the Caribbean....which I love.

I picked out 3 other cabins on the Splendor which were all taken before I could get  one I wanted.

I am really glad I made the move. Like the regent lady told me....can you imagine how many people will be looking for cabins next year if this entire Alaska season is cancelled ?

This probably would not matter to those who do not mind traveling anywhere in the world.

I’m amazed that you, “shippy”, got rebooked without a deposit.  That’s fabulous and the way it should be.  I’m afraid my May Greek Isles will be cancelled, and I’ve told my agent what trip and staterooms I would like when it is cancelled. I have to pay deposit. Not happy about that as there is a significant amount tied up on my back to back already. 
We will see how I’m treated. 

2 hours ago, spindrift said:

I’m amazed that you, “shippy”, got rebooked without a deposit.  That’s fabulous and the way it should be.  I’m afraid my May Greek Isles will be cancelled, and I’ve told my agent what trip and staterooms I would like when it is cancelled. I have to pay deposit. Not happy about that as there is a significant amount tied up on my back to back already. 
We will see how I’m treated. 

We chose a cruise & category that was basically the same price so no extra money was needed.

Cannot imagine a 'down payment' unless your new cruise was more expensive.

That is why we went for the Caribbean cruise. Our Alaska last year was cancelled & the FCC from that booked this years.

The first Alaska cruise of next year is more expensive. We were not going to lay out anymore $$$ to them.

If this keeps up, we will either be to old to travel or they will go out of business !

5 minutes ago, Shippy said:

We chose a cruise & category that was basically the same price so no extra money was needed.

Cannot imagine a 'down payment' unless your new cruise was more expensive.

That is why we went for the Caribbean cruise. Our Alaska last year was cancelled & the FCC from that booked this years.

The first Alaska cruise of next year is more expensive. We were not going to lay out anymore $$$ to them.

If this keeps up, we will either be to old to travel or they will go out of business !

Just wondering how they did it without the May cruise cancelling....must have cancelled the booking on your behalf and moved the FCC.

8 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Just wondering how they did it without the May cruise cancelling....must have cancelled the booking on your behalf and moved the FCC.

They KNOW it is cancelling. I think it is to their advantage to deal with reasonable requests for moves right now.

Can you imagine how deluged with calls they will have when they 'offically' announce the entire season is gone.

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

As a TA, I've never seen Regent give cancelled cruise benefits to a cruise prior to cancellation. I must be missing part of the story.

Really no benefit that I know off. Straight across credit.

On our original cancelled booking last year....they gave us 125% FCC not to take cash. We used that to book this years cruise. When we just moved this years, I asked if they would do the same. That way we could get a category higher cabin but they said no.

They do not 'upgrade' FCC.

Have you tried to move your cruise to one of the exact same cost ?