Grand in Puerto Vallarta Today

Hlitner

At the risk of sounding "snarky"  (I like that word) the Grand continues to swing on her anchor chain as she has since arrival last Friday.   If there is any activity to and from shore it has not been evident during daylight hours (we could easily miss some activity).   At night you can clearly see that Deck A is well lit.  The passenger decks are dark and they do turn on the the outdoor lighting (I guess it is on the Sun deck).  It is kind of a strange site since all the passengers decks between the crew deck and top decks appear to be totally dark.  We would have expected that the layup crew onboard may have been able to move into nicer passenger cabins, but the dark passenger decks make me think otherwise.

Hank

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 10:01 AM, OccasionalSanta said:

Just took a look at a marine traffic site (https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-118.5/centery:33.7/zoom:7) which not only shows the Grand at Puerto Vallarta, but looking around I also spotted the Majestic at La Paz, The Ruby off the coast near the U.S./Mexico border and the Royal cruising North about halfway between Cabo and Ensenada with a destination listed as L.A. 

And based on a post from another thread, the Caribbean is currently docked at Ft. Lauderdale

Ruby and Emerald are both anchored off the coast of Long Beach at this time close to Carnival Panorama. A little further out shore we have Carnival Miracle and NCL Jewel anchored as well. 

Ships are definitely stretching their legs. 

Edited by Georgie562
  • Like 1

Woke up this morning (in Puerto Vallarta) and noticed the Grand was gone from where it has been anchored for more then a week.  A quick check of AIS information shows that she has moved into the Marina (Cruise Port) and is now docked at Pier #1 which is the pier located adjacent to the new cruise terminal.   Over the past week she has sat about 1/4 mile outside the Marina in a normal anchorage spot with very little activity.  There have been a few visits by one of the harbor pilot boats but we have not noticed any kind of major activity.  On a couple of evenings we did notice the ship was using its outdoor large movie screen (perhaps to entertain the crew).

Hank

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nini said:

Hank- I, for one, enjoyed the update for the Grand. How lovely to

at least wake up and see a cruise ship. We hope to sail on her in September 2022.

Now that she is in the Marina harbor we can no longer view the vessel.  It gives me a good excuse to get up early tomorrow and walk the 4 miles (one way) from my Condo to the port (not sure I want to get up early on a Sunday) just to get a close up look.   DW and I have many good memories of our time on that vessel.

Hank

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Now that she is in the Marina harbor we can no longer view the vessel.  It gives me a good excuse to get up early tomorrow and walk the 4 miles (one way) from my Condo to the port (not sure I want to get up early on a Sunday) just to get a close up look.   DW and I have many good memories of our time on that vessel.

Hank

I have enjoying your posts . .  we have many good memories of the grand.  We went by the port of Tacoma yesterday and there was a little 6 or 7 deck cruise like ship and I know how excited to see it, so I can just imagine the Grand sighting is  . . .  okay I have to say it . . . . grand!  lol

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

So many great Grand memories.  We met you and K on a TA back in 2006, Galveston to Civitavecchia with many, many stops including Portoferraio, Elba.  That was our first TA and we got addicted.

2 hours ago, treesah said:

So many great Grand memories.  We met you and K on a TA back in 2006, Galveston to Civitavecchia with many, many stops including Portoferraio, Elba.  That was our first TA and we got addicted.

DW's reaction to your post was, "Oh Good Lord."  That is because we can hardly remember who we met on cruises in 2019 (everything cancelled in 2020) much less 2006.  But we loved that 2006 cruise and especially enjoyed all those sea days at the beginning of the voyage (we counted that service stop at Port Everglades as another sea day).

Hank

18 hours ago, justafem said:

We were on the Grand for her last cruise.  Our 2 week vacation turned into a 5 week ordeal.  First 2 weeks were great.

So how many days were added to your Captain's Circle account for this? 14? 35? Other?

8 hours ago, caribill said:

So how many days were added to your Captain's Circle account for this? 14? 35? Other?

We were credited for the 15 days the cruise was scheduled for.  We received a full refund in cash, in our case, before we even reached Travis.  Some might think we made out but as justafem said we planned to be gone for 15 days and ended up away for 35 and any way you cut it the compensation didn't equal the inconvenience.  Folks who weren't there will never fully comprehend the ordeal we were put through.

I was in PV for a few days this week. We drove past the Grand on the way in and out of the airport. It definitely appeared to need some fresh paint!

Like many who post on here we are looking at cruises for 2022 and looking forward to getting back on a ship.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:27 AM, Hlitner said:

This morning when I woke up in my Puerto Vallarta condo I thought I was hallucinating.  Looking out the balcony doors of our bedroom I saw the big, beautiful, Grand Princess slowly moving towards the Marina here in PV.  We have been here since early January and this is the first cruise ship to make its way to our Port this year.  I assume they are doing some kind of crew change since Mexico is one of the few places that folks can fly to without various COVID restrictions.

Hank

I saw the same thing from our PV condo.  I thought I was dreaming.

It was a beautiful sight!