World Cafe dress code

SoBaycruiser

The Viking website says the dress code for all dining venues is “elegant casual”.  Does this mean that one has to “dress” for the World Cafe?  We are hoping to go on one of the Northern Lights cruises.  If we come in from a day out in snow and cold and don’t want to “dine”, are we relegated to room service?  On many cruise lines, one can come in from an all day excursion and eat in the buffet without changing.  I certainly don’t expect to do this regularly, but it’s nice to know that it is an option.

I think that once cruising resumes....the last thing any line will be worried about is what people are wearing...they'll just be happy enough to see people back onboard. WHEN this will happen, however, is anyone's guess. Even before the pandemic, I think the whole dress code thing - in probably many lines - has started to become far more relaxed. It bothers me, however, when I DID take the time to drag along a sport coat, tie, etc. for "formal nights" to then see guys in the MDR wearing jeans and flannel shirts. That somewhat cheapens the whole experience for those who do believe in dressing up at times. The whole thing, IMHO, is geared to making picture money for the cruise lines. Viking doesn't even do any of that so it becomes even less important. But...as mentioned initially....in the general scheme of things I think  the last thing anyone - crew, staff, passengers - should be concerned about is dress code. Wear a mask and social distance...the rest isn't important 😆

Edited by OnTheJourney

We did Midnight Sun and Round Cape Horn both mostly outdoorsy hiking kind of trips with 3 season clothing.  In WC we saw jeans, sweatshirts, flannels.  However people in jeans were turned away from MDR.  Chinos, cargo pants and leggings were ok but not blue jeans.

When  I first read the title of this thread I have to admit my first reaction was Hahahahahahah......  What dress code?  But then, that is the purpose of the WC.  Shorts, flip flops, "wife beater" tank tops, and especially ball caps, all in attendance.  Even saw a gent in his Viking robe and slippers at brekkie one day.  So glad they actually do have some rules at the evening meals.  I know in this age group every one of our Mothers told us to take hats off in the house.  Spend Viking type money for a nice cruise and dress like you are heading to the dance hall at the trailer park.  You will see a bit of all....😳

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

When  I first read the title of this thread I have to admit my first reaction was Hahahahahahah......  What dress code?  But then, that is the purpose of the WC.  Shorts, flip flops, "wife beater" tank tops, and especially ball caps, all in attendance.  Even saw a gent in his Viking robe and slippers at brekkie one day.  So glad they actually do have some rules at the evening meals.  I know in this age group every one of our Mothers told us to take hats off in the house.  Spend Viking type money for a nice cruise and dress like you are heading to the dance hall at the trailer park.  You will see a bit of all....😳

Your trailer park has a dance hall?

1 minute ago, duquephart said:

Your trailer park has a dance hall?

No, we live on the double secret probation wrong side of the tracks.  It is all we can do to occasionally trick Viking into letting us onboard.  Only time we get to eat too.....

The reason I asked the original question is that a few years ago we took an Alaskan cruise in early June on Seabourn. It had some very active excursions like kayaking at the base of a glacier.  The only place that one could eat in the evening in jeans was at the grill outside by the pool ...which had insufficient heaters.  We came in late one evening from an excursion and didn’t feel like dressing for dinner.  Apparently many others felt the same.  There were no unoccupied tables.  Luckily a couple took pity on us and offered to share their table with us.  We had no heater and it was 48 F.  I vowed then I would never presume what the dress code would be when booking a trip.

31 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Even saw a gent in his Viking robe and slippers at brekkie one day.  

lol....I'll surely never forget the sight of a guy wearing just a robe and slippers being pulled up into the helicopter back on 3/23/19!  I'm sure he was nice and c h i l l y!!  🥶  

5 hours ago, Jazmyn49 said:

And please no ball caps on the men indoors, especially in the dining venues and The Theater.  

And please, when you take it off, please do not put it on the table. I'd rather see it on your head than on the dinner table.

• Like 3