Translatlantics - Europe to USA end-2021

podgeandrodge

So there are a few transatlantic NCL cruises from Europe, e.g. Rome/Lisbon in November/December to the USA.

Right now, EU citizens can't go to the US as per US travel restrictions (not to mention their own restrictions).

Hopefully the travel restrictions will not be in place at the end of this year.

But what are folks thoughts on whether these ships (NCL Dawn, Star, Epic, Escape, Getaway) etc. will be over in Europe to actually make that trip back to the US?  (Or maybe they will be in Europe by summer).

Will these transatlantics have a good chance of taking place?

Honestly I have taken the view that to start with the cruises over here will just be for residents of that country or the EU but by November/December I am hoping that sufficient people will have been injected to allow free movement again. 

I have a cruise booked for the Baltic region in September which I assume will go ahead without non EU/UK residents but am hoping that by November/December I will be able to travel to USA for a cruise out of Miami to the Western Caribbean.

• Like 2

For a non-snarky perspective: We're booked in the Haven on the Epic Civitavecchia - NY transatlantic over American Thanksgiving later this year. We're not really expecting to go, for a few reasons. 

1. The US is doing a surprisingly okay job with vaccine procurement and distribution, especially compared to many EU nations. Assuming American cruise lines will make vaccinations mandatory for sailing, unless things really start to change in the EU over the next few months, it seems unlikely the ship could or would sail with a mixed vaccination passenger load.
  2. If hypothetically all passengers were vaccinated, there's still the issue of sailing to multiple nations where people may not be vaccinated. For example, if Spain lags behind on vaccinations, do all port stops in Spain get cut? 
  3. If we're not seeing 7 day cruises this summer out of Florida, a 15 day transatlantic seems highly unlikely for the fall.
  4. I'm not sure New York State will reopen the ports in New York City to cruise traffic anytime this year. Not sure if NJ would open up Bayonne either, or if Royal Caribbean/Celebrity can/would allow NCL/Carnival brands to dock there. 
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FLAHAM said:

The chances of an Italy to the US transatlantic cruise this November are 63.28 percent.

Damn you.  Following Cole's prediction I had booked.  And was holding out unless anyone came back with a guaranteed % less then 2/3 66.66%.  You've just done that.   So close.  Cruise cancelled!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

For a non-snarky perspective: We're booked in the Haven on the Epic Civitavecchia - NY transatlantic over American Thanksgiving later this year. We're not really expecting to go, for a few reasons. 

1. The US is doing a surprisingly okay job with vaccine procurement and distribution, especially compared to many EU nations. Assuming American cruise lines will make vaccinations mandatory for sailing, unless things really start to change in the EU over the next few months, it seems unlikely the ship could or would sail with a mixed vaccination passenger load.
  2. If hypothetically all passengers were vaccinated, there's still the issue of sailing to multiple nations where people may not be vaccinated. For example, if Spain lags behind on vaccinations, do all port stops in Spain get cut? 
  3. If we're not seeing 7 day cruises this summer out of Florida, a 15 day transatlantic seems highly unlikely for the fall.
  4. I'm not sure New York State will reopen the ports in New York City to cruise traffic anytime this year. Not sure if NJ would open up Bayonne either, or if Royal Caribbean/Celebrity can/would allow NCL/Carnival brands to dock there. 

Good points Astoria.  I'm hoping you are wrong, and that the summer to November will be sufficient gap to fix things.  But if the summer doesn't work out, they might not have any ships over in Europe in the first place to make the trip.

4 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

So there are a few transatlantic NCL cruises from Europe, e.g. Rome/Lisbon in November/December to the USA.

Right now, EU citizens can't go to the US as per US travel restrictions (not to mention their own restrictions).

Hopefully the travel restrictions will not be in place at the end of this year.

But what are folks thoughts on whether these ships (NCL Dawn, Star, Epic, Escape, Getaway) etc. will be over in Europe to actually make that trip back to the US?  (Or maybe they will be in Europe by summer).

Will these tran-satlantics have a good chance of taking place?

I doubt any will occur in 2021 and probably into 2022.

Once a ship goes through the procedures to get approved to sail from a port I doubt the cruise lines will move it or at least not move it with passengers to another port. The cruise lines have said numerous times there will be a slow start to the return of cruising. I don't see anything over 7 days the rest of 2021 sailing anywhere.

• Like 1

I’m booked on the Getaway in December.   My worries are similar to yours - I’m just not sure NCL will have a summer-fall season in Europe and the ships won’t even be there to come back.  If that happens, I’ll rebook a Dec Caribbean cruise instead. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

I’m booked on the Getaway in December.   My worries are similar to yours - I’m just not sure NCL will have a summer-fall season in Europe and the ships won’t even be there to come back.  If that happens, I’ll rebook a Dec Caribbean cruise instead. 

Aren’t most of the ships in Europe now? I’d have thought it’s likely they will be here whether or not there are summer cruises in Europe.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Aren’t most of the ships in Europe now? I’d have thought it’s likely they will be here whether or not there are summer cruises in Europe.

I don’t know.  My uninformed thoughts are if there won’t be a season there, the ships won’t stay and will preposition to the next season location.  Of course I know nothing of ship operations, maintenance, or just about anything else other than where the bars are located on it.  😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

This is what I am thinking also.  I am booked on the November Escape Rome to NYC. I feel like it will sail but possibly not dock in NYC.  Maybe Miami, Port Canaveral (where it is slated to have cruises out of next) or even San Juan.  Have bought airfare to Rome but leaving my options open on airfare home.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Have bought airfare to Rome but leaving my options open on airfare home.

This would be hilarious for those of us who live in the tri-state area with suitcases full of duty free expecting an Uber ride home ☺️

6 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

This would be hilarious for those of us who live in the tri-state area with suitcases full of duty free expecting an Uber ride home ☺️

Yes, there are a few on this cruise from that area and they weren't too excited about my thoughts.  But I really don't know anymore than anyone else...just speculation on my part. I am really hoping we end in NYC so I can spend a few extra days there (plus it is much cheaper to fly home from there than the Florida ports).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am booked on The Escape's Crossing 2 November 2021.

If this cruise goes, at the moment, I would doubt it will end in New York City, more like somewhere in Florida depending on the availability of ports.  Since I am coming from the Pacific Northwest, Norwegian is doing flights in both directions.  Currently waiting for further updates before making a final decision as to what I am willing to risk or not risk.

Mandy 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 10:38 AM, SpainAlien said:

Honestly I have taken the view that to start with the cruises over here will just be for residents of that country or the EU but by November/December I am hoping that sufficient people will have been injected to allow free movement again. 

I have a cruise booked for the Baltic region in September which I assume will go ahead without non EU/UK residents but am hoping that by November/December I will be able to travel to USA for a cruise out of Miami to the Western Caribbean.

I’m on Escape thru Baltic’s in Sept too. I hope it sails. Baltic’s is replacement for my Jade Amsterdam cruise which was just canceled. Almost same dates & air to Amsterdam already paid for. Fingers crossed🙏🏼🤞🏼

On 3/10/2021 at 8:31 PM, debenson0723 said:

This is what I am thinking also.  I am booked on the November Escape Rome to NYC. I feel like it will sail but possibly not dock in NYC.  Maybe Miami, Port Canaveral (where it is slated to have cruises out of next) or even San Juan.  Have bought airfare to Rome but leaving my options open on airfare home.

We're booked on the same cruise. I've booked several apartments in France and thru Italy before the cruise.  But I'm not making any more reservations till July or so. By then we should know more

5 hours ago, LynnTTT said:

We're booked on the same cruise. I've booked several apartments in France and thru Italy before the cruise.  But I'm not making any more reservations till July or so. By then we should know more

I have an apartment booked in Rome 4 days prior to the cruise. We have decided if vaccinated Americans are allowed in Europe but the cruise doesn't sail, we are going to spend 3 weeks with a train pass and just see as much as we can, ending in Barcelona before flying home.  And I am going to try and hold out until after Labor Day before making a final decision.