Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

And another thing - probably of no consequence to cruise companies because of affordability reasons - but you’d be surprised at the number of young families too who don’t have access to smart technology. That has been a real eye-opener to many schools around here during the pandemic. 

Edited by Ardennais

26 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

India being on the red list doesnt come into force until Friday so anyone arriving before that does not have to isolate/quarantine.

Can’t understand why it was not from 4.00am this morning, why wait until Friday? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Because I never use a mobile phone so not prepared to pay for a contract to allow me to use apps and internet. It isnt just about buying actual phone it is paying a monthly amount for something I would never used. My current phone was last topped up over 12 months ago with £10 it still has £3-41 left.

You can still have a PAYG deal even with a smart phone, you will have to buy the phone yourself however, then you transfer your PAYG SIMcard into the new phone, seemples, that was what I did

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

What I’m getting at is how it may be viewed. 

The question is, is it a good look to bring Indian nationals to work in the U.K. in customer facing roles, bearing in mind the scale of the Covid outbreak in India, and the apparent infectiousness of the Indian variants. 

No doubt the crew members would be quarantined etc,  but not sure it would be looked on favourably by the general public 

And if it goes pear shaped, the press would have a field day 

You have answered your own question there, they would be quarantined and once that is complete why should they be treated any differently to any other nationality.

49 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

India being on the red list doesnt come into force until Friday so anyone arriving before that does not have to isolate/quarantine.

Yes, I think that’s the problem. Hope it doesn’t backfire on P&O if they have already brought crew in ahead of Friday. 

30 minutes ago, welshy74 said:

Yes it’s a tad harsh but it’s also fact!! This is what’s happening and big business is not willing to accommodate the small minority who won’t use technology.  

And, as per my post elsewhere, you couldn't even get a pint in the pub I went to today without ordering online.

Unfair - yes, probably, but the pub garden was pretty busy -50 people or so - all happily tapping away to order food and drink. Unfortunately (?) CV19 has led to a dramatic increase in online shopping, meal deliveries, and a decrease in face to face interaction retailing. 

It might not be to our liking, but realistically we gave to be prepared to change.

Interestingly enough, Princess have already gone down this  route with their Medallion technology, which basically gives better service,  but utilises fewer people.

• Like 1

Just now, terrierjohn said:

You have answered your own question there, they would be quarantined and once that is complete why should they be treated any differently to any other nationality.

As I was saying - under the red list rules only U.K. and Irish nationals  are permitted to enter the U.K. if they are travelling from India. The crew aren’t U.K. or Irish nationals, so people may question whether they should be permitted to enter the U.K. at all after Friday.

But it may be they have already been flown in, and don’t need the properly supervised quarantine at all.

As India is in the midst of a horrific second wave with a ‘double mutant’ variant, there’s potential for this to go wrong. I hope for P&Os sake it works out ok, otherwise it could all turn a bit ugly 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, davemorton said:

I was reading something else that seems to say that all NCL staff onboard will have been vaccinated.  

I wonder where they will get the vaccine from.

If true that’s another can of worms, as I thought that private companies couldn’t buy vaccines 

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As I was saying - under the red list rules only U.K. and Irish nationals  are permitted to enter the U.K. if they are travelling from India. The crew aren’t U.K. or Irish nationals, so people may question whether they should be permitted to enter the U.K. at all after Friday.

But it may be they have already been flown in, and don’t need the properly supervised quarantine at all.

As India is in the midst of a horrific second wave with a ‘double mutant’ variant, there’s potential for this to go wrong. I hope for P&Os sake it works out ok, otherwise it could all turn a bit ugly 

Someone earlier pointed out that seafarers are exempt from the covid rules, so even once the red list restrictions come in, seafarers will still be allowed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

And, as per my post elsewhere, you couldn't even get a pint in the pub I went to today without ordering online.

Unfair - yes, probably, but the pub garden was pretty busy -50 people or so - all happily tapping away to order food and drink. Unfortunately (?) CV19 has led to a dramatic increase in online shopping, meal deliveries, and a decrease in face to face interaction retailing. 

It might not be to our liking, but realistically we gave to be prepared to change.

Interestingly enough, Princess have already gone down this  route with their Medallion technology, which basically gives better service,  but utilises fewer people.

It’s what I have been saying. If we are going to ‘live’ with Covid, we are going to need to make changes.

Additional utilisation of technology  may be one of the things we need to adapt to. But this could cause problems for those who can’t afford technology or are not able to operate the tech.

However, if a person can afford it and can can operate it, then it’s a personal choice to opt out. But this may mean an acceptance that live might not run as smoothly as they’d like 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Someone earlier pointed out that seafarers are exempt from the covid rules, so even once the red list restrictions come in, seafarers will still be allowed.

Yes, I know.

My point is what does it look like to the general non cruising public.

My guess is ‘not good’

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

It’s not a small minority though, and anyway, minorities also have their rights. 
You just can’t exclude people overnight based on their ability or inability to use modern technology. It will take years to filter through - like the argument with cash, cheques and cards. 

That’s just the way things are these days.. it’s reality.  It’s not my personal point of view, it’s how business is evolving.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I agree, we have to be prepared to change. I’ve always embraced technology at work and if you were to see my office set-up at home and all the software applications that I have to use, well it’s pretty impressive for someone the wrong side of 55! But it would have taken me a very long time to order that pint today from what you posted on the other thread. There is no way my parents would have managed to do that. My father can’t even remember his few PINS without writing them down. It’s one thing being able to use Zoom etc at home to keep in touch with family. I view that as something similar to using the Sky remote (and that was hard enough for my late MIL). QR codes, paying online etc is very different. We mustn’t become an ageist society, and anyway, as I mentioned in an earlier post, there are younger folks too who don’t have access to Smartphone technology. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I agree, we have to be prepared to change. I’ve always embraced technology at work and if you were to see my office set-up at home and all the software applications that I have to use, well it’s pretty impressive for someone the wrong side of 55! But it would have taken me a very long time to order that pint today from what you posted on the other thread. There is no way my parents would have managed to do that. My father can’t even remember his few PINS without writing them down. It’s one thing being able to use Zoom etc at home to keep in touch with family. I view that as something similar to using the Sky remote (and that was hard enough for my late MIL). QR codes, paying online etc is very different. We mustn’t become an ageist society, and anyway, as I mentioned in an earlier post, there are younger folks too who don’t have access to Smartphone technology. 

I must admit, it took me a while to sort it out - however,  the next time I go back to the pub life will be much easier,  as my phone will have remembered everything.

But, you are right, we are in danger of marginalising a whole sector of the community, who are not able to deal with technology.  Hopefully, in due course life will return to some sort of normality,  and we can just go to the bar and wave a £10 note in the air!

Also, it would help enormously if it could be publicised that CV19 is virtually impossible to contract through surface contact, so all this nonsense about closure of changing rooms in stores, putting on plastic 'socks' before trying on shoes (has anyone in the world contracted CV19 from trying on a pair of trainers ?), not using cash etc could come to an end. 

Sorry, rant over, but some of the current "rules" make absolutely no sense whatsoever.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I would not say that is true, see P&O's t&cs re these staycations and b2b.

There is no need to disembark if you are doing back to back cruises. Simply visit Reception to re-register and activate your on board account for the second cruise.

You can of course, disembark in Southampton should you wish, to take in the sights or do a little shopping before returning to the ship and setting sail on your second cruise.

In the interests of safety on board, you will be asked to attend both muster drills at the beginning of each cruise. just read this on p and o website. dont know what to believe

17 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

We have booked on to the 4 night cruise on the 18th.  Booked direct on the phone with P&O and tried to book a back to back.  I was told, and this is also on P&O's website, 7 days must lapse between cruises and back to back are not allowed.

This is from the website:-

Guests will require a seven day gap between any of the UK getaway cruises. Back to back bookings will not be available.

As the COVID-19 situation evolves our accompanying health protocols are under constant review. Therefore, to ensure we continue to maintain the highest levels of approach, we want to ensure that as we return to sailing each new cruise operates with all guests boarding for the first time, in line with these protocols.

There is no need to disembark if you are doing back to back cruises. Simply visit Reception to re-register and activate your on board account for the second cruise.

You can of course, disembark in Southampton should you wish, to take in the sights or do a little shopping before returning to the ship and setting sail on your second cruise.

In the interests of safety on board, you will be asked to attend both muster drills at the beginning of each cruise. this is from the website too. so confusing

6 hours ago, dundeelass said:

In the interests of safety on board, you will be asked to attend both muster drills at the beginning of each cruise. this is from the website too. so confusing

Hi,

Those are standard terms and conditions for cruising in normal times.  The summer 'staycation' series have additional T's and C's to prevent people from doing back to backs.

This is to protect all crew on board and the next wave of passengers.

As has been mentioned, probably worth talking to your TA to clarify, as I would hate for you to find yourself removed from the second mini cruise due to your TA's mistake in B2B booking.

• Like 5

On a Pando FB page I am on, the crew are already here. They posted a picture. So they will be doing their quarantine on the ship. They would have been tested before flying here, tested when they land and tested regularly while in quarantine.  I think RC have said all their crew will be vaccinated for the ship they are using for the summer cruises. Not sure how each line has got their crew vaccinated. Maybe gone somewhere else and one of the other vaccines (mind you we have no way of knowing how effective the chinese or russian vaccines are)

20 hours ago, davecttr said:

Despite being the largest practice in my area I get the impression it is somewhat lacking in the electronic side of administration and don't provide an electronic repeat prescription service or the NHS App apparently.

do you have the right to have a print out of your record or is it at the whim of the practice manager? I presume they will charge a fortune for it as well. Then will P&O accept it as proof of vaccination or will it need a practice validation stamp or whatever.

the whole thing is a can of worms and makes me feel sick sometimes.

Scotland does not use the NHS app, it is England only. Not sure about NI and Walews ,but I know Scotland doesn't. Not all places that are vaccinating are handing out cards. To use the NHS app on your phone you have to apply to your surgery to access your health files that will have that info on. Not all surgeries it appears are granting that access. So out of all of that if they manage to get something sorted I will be very impressed.

22 minutes ago, the english lady said:

Scotland does not use the NHS app, it is England only. Not sure about NI and Walews ,but I know Scotland doesn't. Not all places that are vaccinating are handing out cards. To use the NHS app on your phone you have to apply to your surgery to access your health files that will have that info on. Not all surgeries it appears are granting that access. So out of all of that if they manage to get something sorted I will be very impressed.

Sorry to here about Scotland etc, it looks like surgery print outs might be the norm.

I did not apply to my surgery to access my health file, in fact the surgery was not even mentioned in the NHS App loading procedure. What I did get was an automated email that said: 

Patient Online Services – new access to online account

Dear David Xxxxxxx,
You can now access your online account through NHS App.
Yours sincerely,
Xxxxxxx Xxxxxx Practice

Apparently my medical records for earlier than my mid 20's don't exist and must have been destroyed. That was several different doctors and locations ago.

Edited by davecttr

42 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Sorry to here about Scotland etc, it looks like surgery print outs might be the norm.

I did not apply to my surgery to access my health file, in fact the surgery was not even mentioned in the NHS App loading procedure. What I did get was an automated email that said: 

Patient Online Services – new access to online account

Dear David Xxxxxxx,
You can now access your online account through NHS App.
Yours sincerely,
Xxxxxxx Xxxxxx Practice

Apparently my medical records for earlier than my mid 20's don't exist and must have been destroyed. That was several different doctors and locations ago.

I think ours go back at least until the late 90's, but all we really need I guess as a fallback is the one with your jabs on.