UK and Europe Sailings this summer

Froggitt

As the EU seems to be going to hell in a handcart, with their disastrous vaccine procurement programme, and now with a third wave taking hold across mainland Europe, I can't see any cruise ships in the EU this summer. Conversely, the UK has had a terrible pandemic, but now looks to be under control with over 50% of adults now vaccinated with at least one jab. Is there any sign of "round the UK" sailings being scheduled, similar to what P&O have announced? You could probably deploy every NCL ship supposed to be in Europe, into the UK, and fill every one of them, as there is so much pent up demand for holidays, and this would count as a staycation.

I very much hope they will do this.

We are supposed to be on the Spirit from Venice to Barcelona in August and this has gone from extremely unlikely to no chance in the last few weeks, in my opinion.

If they were to bring the Spirit (or any other ship) up to Southampton I would gladly join it, assuming our unvaccinated son was able to join us.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

I guess they would give him a bell to wear round his neck.....

Yes I agree somewhere between no hope and Bob Hope of anything in Italy/Spain/France this summer.

Here is a link to the P&O plans https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/cruise/po-cruises-plans-uk-staycation-sailings-this-summer - never been on P&O, was waiting till I was in my dotage.

UK sailings will replace cruises on Arcadia, Aurora, Azura and Ventura which have been cancelled until the end of August and on Britannia and Iona until the end of September.

My Jade sailing for October just got cancelled. I was expecting it, but I hate the thought of starting all over again. This was cancellation #4.😢

Funnily enough, I started looking around late last week.

5 hours ago, Froggitt said:

As the EU seems to be going to hell in a handcart, with their disastrous vaccine procurement programme, and now with a third wave taking hold across mainland Europe, I can't see any cruise ships in the EU this summer. Conversely, the UK has had a terrible pandemic, but now looks to be under control with over 50% of adults now vaccinated with at least one jab....

Not so fast...the one constant through this pandemic has been constant change in our understanding of it, and that when a new variant emerges in Europe (or anywhere else for that matter) it 'washes up on UK shores'....as quoted by our dear PM only today!

The South African variant, already in Europe and on UK shores, is reported by experts to not be very well mitigated by the current available vaccines....

5 hours ago, Froggitt said:

Is there any sign of "round the UK" sailings being scheduled, similar to what P&O have announced? 

Hope so, I will be in the queue. I don't care if it's not-stop without ports which some are talking about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hamrag said:

Not so fast...the one constant through this pandemic has been constant change in our understanding of it, and that when a new variant emerges in Europe (or anywhere else for that matter) it 'washes up on UK shores'....as quoted by our dear PM only today!

The South African variant, already in Europe and on UK shores, is reported by experts to not be very well mitigated by the current available vaccines....

That's what makes a cruise with nationals only that does not visit foreign ports perfect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

That's what makes a cruise with nationals only that does not visit foreign ports perfect.

Agree, but the point I am trying to make is that these cruises don't sail until they actually do sail....I remain unconvinced the UK is as certain to beat this virus within current indicative timescales as we are being led to believe by politicians.

My ear is much more inclined in the direction of the health experts. Even BoJo seems to me to be hinting at pedaling backwards somewhat

• Like 1

I just received my cancellation notice on the Jade in September, which was the 3rd cruise cancelled this year.  Several ships are being cancelled per the letter I received today; Encore thru 10/28, Jewel thru 10/6 and Jade thru 11/4 due to fleet redeployment!!!!  I will wait before re-booking again.

2 hours ago, landlockedTexan said:

I just received my cancellation notice on the Jade in September, which was the 3rd cruise cancelled this year.  Several ships are being cancelled per the letter I received today; Encore thru 10/28, Jewel thru 10/6 and Jade thru 11/4 due to fleet redeployment!!!!  I will wait before re-booking again.

Yes, those three ships Encore, Jewel and Jade redeployed to Southampton this Summer for 7+ day round UK "staycations" would do for me. They could even go all MSC and pick up more passengers at Liverpool.

No, ok its not going to happen... But if it did I bet they would fill their ships.

P.S LandlockedTexan, sorry to hear of your September cancellation. I am still holding out a very slim hope for 3rd Oct Star from Southampton.

Edited by Stevio

Looks like MSC are doing exactly this.....round Britain cruises for UK people only. NCL leaving all that pent up cash on the table.

http://static.contactlab.it/img/spacer.gif

Here at MSC Cruises we love our UK guests so much that we've got a special surprise in store for you.

Our new flagship MSC Virtuosa will sail around the British Isles this summer starting from 20th May, for UK holidaymakers only!

Sales open on the 1st April, so don't miss the chance to be some of the first onboard our brand new ship.    Departing from Southampton, MSC Virtuosa will offer a series of short cruises and 7-night sailings showing you the beauty of the UK's favourite destinations.  Scroll down to find out more!

http://static.contactlab.it/spacer.gif

17 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Who wants to go around the U.K. docking miles from any cities, you may as well tour the U.K. and stay in five star hotels ?

Good job we are all different, not everyone wants to spend their time in cities, for some that's hell on earth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

Good job we are all different, not everyone wants to spend their time in cities, for some that's hell on earth.

Not only that, but a 5-star hotel costs more than a whole cruise. It costs $570/night to stay at the Savoy in London (I literally checked 60 seconds ago). For two nights there I could have a week on a cruise ship with free food and booze. Not really a good comparison, @Trimone

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Not only that, but a 5-star hotel costs more than a whole cruise. It costs $570/night to stay at the Savoy in London (I literally checked 60 seconds ago). For two nights there I could have a week on a cruise ship with free food and booze. Not really a good comparison, @Trimone

Who the hell would go to London? What’s wrong with Cambridge, Chester, York, Bath, Oxford, Malvern, St Ives, Manchester, Musselburgh, Swansea, Cheltenham,  and many more?

3 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Who the hell would go to London? What’s wrong with Cambridge, Chester, York, Bath, Oxford, Malvern, St Ives, Manchester, Musselburgh, Swansea, Cheltenham,  and many more?

Maybe next time don't just say "travel the UK" then. You didn't say "travel the UK outside of London."

BTW the 5-star hotels in Manchester are still more expensive per night than a cruise and don't include free food and drinks. I've made my point.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Maybe next time don't just say "travel the UK" then. You didn't say "travel the UK outside of London."

BTW the 5-star hotels in Manchester are still more expensive per night than a cruise and don't include free food and drinks. I've made my point.

How anyone could compare a 5 star hotel to a NCL cabin is beyond me, it’s comparable with Premier inn.

• Like 1