Sky Princess moved from cabin L102 to E522 feeling disappointed

Hi Everyone, we transferred our cancelled July cruise this year to a July cruise next year via Princess's transfer to the equivalent cruise in 2022 promotion. We were originally booked in cabin L102 DW grade but have been moved to E522 DW grade. I can't find any photos of cabin E522 apart from on cruisedeckplans but these are generic photos for 5 different ships, has anyone got actual photos of the obstructed balcony of E522 on the Sky Princess? From what I have researched these cabins are chalk and cheese regarding the obstructed view and size of balcony despite being in the same grade any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.                                                            

33 minutes ago, southamptoncruisers said:

Hi Everyone, we transferred our cancelled July cruise this year to a July cruise next year via Princess's transfer to the equivalent cruise in 2022 promotion. We were originally booked in cabin L102 DW grade but have been moved to E522 DW grade. I can't find any photos of cabin E522 apart from on cruisedeckplans but these are generic photos for 5 different ships, has anyone got actual photos of the obstructed balcony of E522 on the Sky Princess? From what I have researched these cabins are chalk and cheese regarding the obstructed view and size of balcony despite being in the same grade any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.                                                            

I would call my TA or Princess and get the original cabin back and have it marked for no upgrade!

Looking at cruisedeckplans, straight out view would is ok. Life boat is there, no view down, you are over Princess Live, too.  Balcony would be smaller than the 102 cabin.  I would try to change, as I don't like cabins in the rear, prefer mid or forward.

Not sure why you would say E522 is in the rear of ship.   It would be considered mid aft and pretty darn close to mid center.    I would try to get it changed only because it is over Princess Live.   Not sure how late the shows run but you don't want to listen to noise late at night.  You have to be careful with any cabins above the Promenade deck.   There are some good ones.  Just check.

L102 has a great balcony but this cabin is all the way forward.   Lots more movement if you run into bad weather. If you are not prone to sea sickness then you would be fine in this cabin.    Both cabins have the love seat which is nice.   

Edited by waltd

We have learned to always say "no upgrade". The two balconies you mentioned are both category "DW" and beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. If the balcony size is important to you, then I would definitely call my TA and resolve the cabin choice. And of course, if you are sensitive to motion, then L102 would not be a good choice.

It is mid-aft, there are 3 categories DW on Emerald Deck, mid-forward, mid-ship, mid-aft.  My personal take it is too far back for me.  I prefer to be between the forward and mid-ship stairwells so I can choose to use either one.  I always choose "no upgrade", too.  Once it worked out, inside to a DW on Emerald, another time an aft location vibration from engines was noticeable to me.

I don't believe you will have much of a choice since this was a transfer. In your case marking your booking no upgrade would not have helped. L102 may have already been occupied. I would call the T.A. Maybe there is a cabin you would like better. I would not have this booking marked no upgrade. You could be moved to a better category.  

OP, I see three cancelled July 2021 cruises on the Sky, but two do not have any replacement cruise listed and the third shows the replacement cruise is on the Crown.  Can you please clarify which itinerary you were on and what your transferred itinerary is?

I agree the L and M forward DW cabins are far different than the other DWs.  If they are already booked I would ask Princess for a refund instead of taking the transfer over.  And then find another cruise where those cabins are open.

Thanks for the replies. We were originally booked on cruise G122N France Spain & Portugal and have been transferred to Y223 Mediterranean Adventurer. We originally requested no upgrade on cabin L102 because after weeks of homework found this to be the best cabin which suited us. Having checked there are no 4 berth cabin balconies left for this cruise so it looks as though we are stuck with cabin E522. Fingers crossed it may be positioned between two lifeboats giving us a reasonable view.  Although now being advised that we are above Princess Live is concerning. We booked directly with Princess so I will call them after the Easter break to see if anything can be done.                                           

I don't know if you have seen this link or not or if will be any help.  For whatever reason E522 doesn't have a picture but you could get idea of what views from other cabins would be.  It does show your original cabin on Lido deck.  You might have to copy and past the link for it to open

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/ov.php?ship=Majestic-Princess&cabins=Lido-Deck

2 hours ago, southamptoncruisers said:

Fingers crossed it may be positioned between two lifeboats giving us a reasonable view.  Although now being advised that we are above Princess Live is concerning. We booked directly with Princess so I will call them after the Easter break to see if anything can be done.                                           

E522. Your view will not be between two life boats. Life boats will obstruct your view when looking straight down while standing at the railing. Photo from the Royal Princess on the site shown below.

Princess Live operates from around 10am until 11pm. You could hear something during this time.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Royal-Princess-III

We were booked on a b2b on the Discovery. When they changed the ship to the Regal, they moved us, same mini suite mb category, to a different location. We were not happy with the new location but I couldn’t get the original cabin back.  I read that someone was upgraded from a balcony to a mini suite.  BTW, I always mark my cabin no upgrades. 

23 hours ago, southamptoncruisers said:

After contacting Princess over Easter and a couple of conversations with customer services we have been moved to cabin M511. May I add that customer services were excellent and certainly proves the benefit of booking direct with the cruise line. Thanks for all the replies. 

Glad that it has worked out for you.

Happy cruising!