Is it time to restart cruising from US Ports and join the UK, Europe, Asia and the Caribbean?

SelectSys

Restart US-based cruising  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is it now time to start the process of restarting cruising in the US given the latest data from the CDC?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If cruising restarts, should all passengers and crew require vaccinations?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should some passengers/crew be exempt from the vaccination requirement?

• No
    • Yes - kids under 18
    • Yes - those previously with confirmed COVID cases
    • No one should be required to get a vaccine, only a negative test like in Europe and Asia
    • Nothing should be required!

Everyday more data/science suggests a safe cruising environment is possible.  The CDC now states fully vaccinated people can gather together indoors.  They also state that vaccinated people are very unlikely to spread the disease.   These seem compelling reasons to start getting ships sailing from the US like they have in other parts of the world.

State you opinions and answer the poll questions!   

some links:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/02/health/cdc-easter-vaccinated-tweet/index.html

https://fortune.com/2021/04/01/its-official-vaccinated-people-dont-transmit-covid-19/

• Like 3

I would love to see some comments in addition to lots of votes.  Provide rationale for your perspectives regardless of whether they are for or against the restart. 

I am super curious as to why people think we should wait when the science seems to be pointing in the direction of restarting. 

Edited by SelectSys

The good news keeps coming today for those that are vaccinated!

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-fully-vaccinated-people-can-travel-u-s-without-tests-n1262879

People who are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 can travel freely in the U.S., as long as they remain masked on planes, buses and trains, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Friday.

It is unclear how much impact the new guidance will have. People are already traveling and making decisions on their own. American Airlines reported Monday that the company's bookings have jumped to 90 percent of what they were before the pandemic.

I'll bet the Hawaii tickets from San Diego are flying off the shelf today!

More - including international  travel!  Let's get those cruises going!

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cdc-new-travel-guidelines/

The U.S. Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says a person is fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last recommended dose of vaccine. The CDC also says:

• Fully vaccinated people can travel internationally without getting a COVID-19 test before travel unless it is required by the international destination.
  • Fully vaccinated people do not need to self-quarantine after returning to the United States, unless required by a state or local jurisdiction.
  • Fully vaccinated people should still have a negative COVID-19 test result before they board a flight to the United States and get a COVID-19 test 3 to 5 days after returning from international travel.
  • Fully vaccinated people should continue to take COVID-19 precautions while traveling internationally.
Edited by SelectSys

5 votes against so far and not a single reason why.  Is it science or something else that has you voting no?

So far we have universal consensus on the vaccine requirement for passengers and crew if and when cruising restarts.

Disclosure - I voted yes in terms of getting started.

Edited by SelectSys

People are most likely not putting any effort into another poll because it's pretty much just rehashing things that are discussed here and all the various boards ad nauseum on a daily basis.

No offense to your effort, just sayin'.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

People are most likely not putting any effort into another poll because it's pretty much just rehashing things that are discussed here and all the various boards ad nauseum on a daily basis.

No offense to your effort, just sayin'.

So the science changes, but the "follow the science" folks ignore it?

And how are we supposed to follow the science when the CDC comes out with a very clear statement based on recent science, and then the CDC director walks it back without offering any scientific justification?

1 minute ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

And how are we supposed to follow the science when the CDC comes out with a very clear statement based on recent science, and then the CDC director walks it back without offering any scientific justification?

I just commented on why the poll wasn't getting much action.  I didn't talk about any of that so I'm not sure what you're going on about.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I just commented on why the poll wasn't getting much action.  I didn't talk about any of that so I'm not sure what you're going on about.

You said people aren't responding because it would just be a rehash of prior discussions, and I was pointing out that since the science apparently changed it would be a NEW-hash not a rehash, but follow the science folks don't actually follow the science, including the CDC director.

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

No offense to your effort, just sayin'

No worries - perhaps the title is off as the CDC recommendations have changed dramatically in the last day regarding travel and gatherings.  Of course others may have a different interpretation of the announcements.

It also could be that it is "Semana Santa" (aka Easter Week) and that is keeping the discussion low today.

That of course could have been part of the CDC plan - bury the story at the beginning of a holiday weekend for many.

33 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

was pointing out that since the science apparently changed it would be a NEW-hash not a rehash

That was my intent.  Things now seem considerably different from yesterday in my opinion.

I also really want to know why people aren't ready to support reopening with the change in CDC recommendations.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

I believe the CDC spoke of people who are fully vaccinated being able to gather in SMALL GROUPS. I would hardly consider a cruise ship (especially since the smaller ones seemed to have been sold off) as SMALL GROUPS.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I believe the CDC spoke of people who are fully vaccinated being able to gather in SMALL GROUPS. I would hardly consider a cruise ship (especially since the smaller ones seemed to have been sold off) as SMALL GROUPS.

I didn't see the size of the group mentioned for fully vaccinated people.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

If you’ve been fully vaccinated:

• You can gather indoors with fully vaccinated people without wearing a mask or staying 6 feet apart.
  • You can gather indoors with unvaccinated people of any age from one other household (for example, visiting with relatives who all live together) without masks or staying 6 feet apart, unless any of those people or anyone they live with has an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
  • If you travel in the United States, you do not need to get tested before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel.
  • You need to pay close attention to the situation at your international destination before traveling outside the United States.
    • You do NOT need to get tested before leaving the United States unless your destination requires it.
    • You still need to show a negative test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before boarding a flight to the United States.
    • You should still get tested 3-5 days after international travel.
    • You do NOT need to self-quarantine after arriving in the United States.
  • If you’ve been around someone who has COVID-19, you do not need to stay away from others or get tested unless you have symptoms.
    • However, if you live in a group setting (like a correctional or detention facility or group home) and are around someone who has COVID-19, you should still stay away from others for 14 days and get tested, even if you don’t have symptoms.
Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

I didn't see the size of the group mentioned for fully vaccinated people.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

If you’ve been fully vaccinated:

• You can gather indoors with fully vaccinated people without wearing a mask or staying 6 feet apart.
  • You can gather indoors with unvaccinated people of any age from one other household (for example, visiting with relatives who all live together) without masks or staying 6 feet apart, unless any of those people or anyone they live with has an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
  • If you travel in the United States, you do not need to get tested before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel.
  • You need to pay close attention to the situation at your international destination before traveling outside the United States.
    • You do NOT need to get tested before leaving the United States unless your destination requires it.
    • You still need to show a negative test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before boarding a flight to the United States.
    • You should still get tested 3-5 days after international travel.
    • You do NOT need to self-quarantine after arriving in the United States.
  • If you’ve been around someone who has COVID-19, you do not need to stay away from others or get tested unless you have symptoms.
    • However, if you live in a group setting (like a correctional or detention facility or group home) and are around someone who has COVID-19, you should still stay away from others for 14 days and get tested, even if you don’t have symptoms.

You don't think "one other household (for example visiting with relatives who live together) is a SMALL GROUP? Otherwise you have to do the 6 foot social distancing. There are just too many ways not to social distance on a crowded cruise ship, embarkation, disembarkation, leaving the theater, elevators, the buffet, the dining room, the swimming pools, croweded bars,  and I'm sure I've left many out 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You don't think "one other household (for example visiting with relatives who live together) is a SMALL GROUP? Otherwise you have to do the 6 foot social distancing. There are just too many ways not to social distance on a crowded cruise ship, embarkation, disembarkation, leaving the theater, elevators, the buffet, the dining room, the swimming pools, croweded bars,  and I'm sure I've left many out 

I read that the comment on one other household as referring to guidance for dealing with unvaccinated people as a separate point.  My assumption is that everyone onboard is vaccinated.  The CDC guidance seems to clear me that policies are different for vaccinated and unvaccinated groups.

Actually I do agree with you that the CDC should be more clear on large groups where everyone is vaccinated - my assumption for allowing cruising to begin.  Maybe this will come sooner rather than later.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Europe, UK and Asia are conducting domestic cruises or cruises to nowhere. From what I understand for the USA this is not possible for most cruise lines. 

Very true statement on all accounts.  However, multi-nation cruising is starting in the Caribbean with cruises from Barbados touching several nations over the span of a 7 day cruise.  This would be a requirement for any US departing cruise.

Looks like this story is changing rapidly and we may see more news next week.

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

However, multi-nation cruising is starting in the Caribbean with cruises from Barbados touching several nations over the span of a 7 day cruise.  This would be a requirement for any US departing cruise.

I would be hesitant to compare a giant country like USA with tiny island nations. Tiny island nations are in unique advantageous situation that kind of allows them their own little travel bubble amongst each other. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

I would hesitant to compare a giant country like USA with tiny island nations. Tiny island nations are in unique advantageous situation that probably allows them their own little travel bubble amongst each other. 

To the best of my understanding, these are being marketed to passengers are over the world.  Barbados already allows tourists to enter as long as they meet the current testing and temporary quarantine requirements.  Same for other Caribbean islands. 

My expectation - maybe wrongly - is that these rules may be updated for people able to show vaccination.  Things seem to be changing fast at the moment but nothing seems to be a "slam dunk" these days.

4 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I read that the comment on one other household as referring to guidance for dealing with unvaccinated people as a separate point.  My assumption is that everyone onboard is vaccinated.  The CDC guidance seems to clear me that policies are different for vaccinated and unvaccinated groups.

Actually I do agree with you that the CDC should be more clear on large groups where everyone is vaccinated - my assumption for allowing cruising to begin.  Maybe this will come sooner rather than later.

No, I am sure the comment was that you could meet in small groups among vaccinated people without masks and social distancing.

And what just about everyone is leaving out when they quote the new CDC guidance is that they still recommend no non-essential travel.

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And what just about everyone is leaving out when they quote the new CDC guidance is that they still recommend no non-essential travel.

I do see that.  It seems that this will be changing as well if Mayor Levine Cara is to be believed.  Her twitter post that I linked above references changing standards.

It's going to take a while to bring ships back online.  I think the earliest possible would be sometime over the summer just in terms of getting a crew in place, trained and vaccinated.  That's why I believe the restart process should be starting now.  By the time they are really ready, even more people will be vaccinated.

10 hours ago, SelectSys said:

5 votes against so far and not a single reason why.  Is it science or something else that has you voting no?

Many of the ports or places where cruise ships are scheduled to start are still listed by the CDC as Level 4 (avoid all travel to these destinations) -- including Israel where one RCCL ship is scheduled to port, Cypress where they plan to visit, Greece where Celebrity will base a new ship (and RCCL will visit) and so on. In the Caribbean many islands are also at Level 4. So that's my own reasoning.

Today the CDC did release the Technical guidance that ships have been missing in order to proceed to the next Phase in the Conditional Sailing Order, so it does seem that we are moving in that direction. But let's take one step at a time and watch for unintended consequences.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24702-cdc-releases-technical-instructions-for-cruise-ships-to-sail-again.html

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

She's a politician at heart,  practicing CYA as usual.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ontheweb said:

No, I am sure the comment was that you could meet in small groups among vaccinated people without masks and social distancing.

Why? It certainly doesn’t say that. It says that if you are fully vaccinated you can gather indoors with other people fully vaccinated. 

period. End of bullet point.

then it goes on to talking about guidance for gathering with people not fully vaccinated. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Why? It certainly doesn’t say that. It says that if you are fully vaccinated you can gather indoors with other people fully vaccinated. 

period. End of bullet point.

then it goes on to talking about guidance for gathering with people not fully vaccinated. 

They have just ferreted out the naysayers referred to. The follow the science but don’t read it folk and those simply unable to change with the science.

Travel is “officially” unrestricted in the US for vaccinated people (observing of course the transportation company rules). “Recommending”  limiting to essential is simply a tool to stem the surge of travelers. Similar to the reason that vaccinated people are still required to mask up where masks are required of others—simply to avoid confrontations.

People ignore how fast things change and how long it takes for a company to restart business when it involves thousands of crew and logistics. They can’t start up tomorrow and it seems many people think that to be in favor of a return to cruising means we need to be ready to pack. We need to get/keep the ball rolling now and allow vaccinated people to cruise in a couple of months, at the pace progress is being made. This is not to say that some new science could be found next month to contraindicate that.

1 minute ago, 2wheelin said:

They have just ferreted out the naysayers referred to. The follow the science but don’t read it folk and those simply unable to change with the science.

Travel is “officially” unrestricted in the US for vaccinated people (observing of course the transportation company rules). “Recommending”  limiting to essential is simply a tool to stem the surge of travelers. Similar to the reason that vaccinated people are still required to mask up where masks are required of others—simply to avoid confrontations.

People ignore how fast things change and how long it takes for a company to restart business when it involves thousands of crew and logistics. They can’t start up tomorrow and it seems many people think that to be in favor of a return to cruising means we need to be ready to pack. We need to get/keep the ball rolling now and allow vaccinated people to cruise in a couple of months, at the pace progress is being made. This is not to say that some new science could be found next month to contraindicate that.

The reason that people like myself haven't replied to this post with the "Science" people like you and to far from the sea etc  want is because we know just like we won't change your minds,  you seem like a waste of time so why bother.  Doesn't matter what science we or logics we put forward. 

Have a good Easter in your own little world.

• Like 1

We talk about crew being vaccinated but most of the countries that crew come from are using the Sinovac vaccine from China. Will this vaccine be acceptable in countries in Europe and USA? We wouldn't force them to vaccine twice would we😳