Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We are leaving in ten days and Viking has not asked for anything.  The Iceland pre-embarkation document seems to indicate at the bottom of the second page that we just show them at embarkation.  If not, I guess we are in big trouble!

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-210524-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Iceland-US.pdf

Since we already have our e-docs and boarding pass with the QR code on there ( for those of us going  on 26 June ) it seems to me that the only place we will now need to show our vaccination card for Viking is at the pier during check in.  The window for them wanting it 14 days out

has shut 😉.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, id4elizabeth said:

Does anyone how to sign up for the Kitchen Table?  (Not the Chef's Table restaurant.)

Here's the full story on The Kitchen Table.

There are two versions of it.

One is the excursion where the participants go to the market (not a supermarket) with the chef to shop for the ingredients and then come back to the ship where they work under the direction of the chef to prepare the meal and then eat it. Because of the shopping aspect, the tour is offered only in ports where there is an operating market. It is a shore excursion and it is booked like a shore excursion.

The other is a sea-day activity, where a small group gets to help prepare a meal with the chef and then enjoy it. Sign up for the activity is on board the ship.

Since there are neither markets nor sea-days, there is no Kitchen Table offered on our itinerary

3 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Is it possible to see puffins flying around?

We saw a few puffins whilst travelling between islands on a recent visit to the Isles of Scilly off the south west tip of the UK. They are quite small, about 6 inches long and fly quite fast. They were also mixed in with the Guillemot which is similar in size and colour but has a slightly different flight. 

Just set your shutter speed accordingly and hope for the best. They check what you saw afterwards. 

You get better views and pictures of them if they are on the water near whatever boat you are on. 

Obviously, if we get close enough to see them on land even better. We can but hope to see the classic image of them with a few small silver fish in their wonderful multi-coloured beaks! 

Here’s hoping for great sightings for us all. But where Mother Nature is involved, and who knows what the weather and sea will be like, let us expect to be disappointed and then we may be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Since I assume you're on, or will be on, the island of Heimaey, I'm curious if you learn:

-When the huge outdoor festival in August is.  We'll be stopping in Heimaey August 10 - probably right after it, but just curious.  Might be a good thing; might be a disaster because of crowds. 

-Where do cruise ships generally bring their passenger to in Heimaey?  And how long of a walk is it to the center of town from the tender location - maybe 10 minutes?

-Do the boat tours offered there (perhaps Eyja Tours or Viking Tours or Ribsafari) offer much of a chance to see puffins flying?  And if not, what about passing the cliffs there on a tender boat or other boat?  Is it possible to see puffins flying around?

-Is there anything much to see in Heimaey (the town) if we're allowed in August to wander around?

Thanks. 

We’re taking the ferry to Heimaey today (Wednesday) and will be spending most of the day on the island. I’ll see what I can find out regarding your questions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

If you're getting the vouchers because you purchased Viking air, I wouldn't think there would be anything to "refund."  But I've never used their air and not used the vouchers, so can't say.  

When we were considering a pre boarding excursion, I was told that if we were flying VikingAir and did not plan to use the transfer I should let someone at Viking know so that they would not assume that we were missing. The agent also indicated that the transfer cost would be refunded if we notified them and didn’t use it

2 hours ago, bardstowntraveller said:

The agent also indicated that the transfer cost would be refunded if we notified them and didn’t use it

I don't think the agent knows what he is talking about. The cost is $0 when you use Viking Air; there is nothing to refund. It is the same as when Viking offers free air fare. If you don't use it, there is no refund.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

According to cruisemapper.com, the Viking Sea is (finally!) in route to Reykjavik.  The Viking Jupiter is still at dock in Kristiansand, Norway.  

The Viking Sky AIS shows her departing Skagen a couple of hours ago and bound for Reykjavik, with an ETA of 24th June at 07:00. Her present position shows her Westbound at the northern tip of Denmark.

The Viking Sea AIS shows that she departed Malta for Vallo, Norway. However, she is currently slow steaming NW of Malta.

Rather than Cruisemapper, may I suggest trying MarineTraffic.com, which is favoured by mariners.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For puffin lovers, this is one of the places you might visit on Heimaey. It’s a beautiful bay (with an unpronounceable Icelandic name) at the southern end of the island. Lots of puffins speeding through the air and hanging out in the bay with their buddies. 

38B408BC-97CF-4376-B413-A07975A6D603.jpeg

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 11

53 minutes ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

Sorry, my bad!  I was looking at all the Viking ships and typed Sea i.s.o. Sky.  Yes, it's the Sky on it's way to Reykjavik!

Whew!  I want the Sea to stay in the Med because it will look good for my November cruise if she is not deployed elsewhere.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

For puffin lovers, this is one of the places you might visit on Heimaey. It’s a beautiful bay (with an unpronounceable Icelandic name) at the southern end of the island. Lots of puffins speeding through the air and hanging out in the bay with their buddies. 

38B408BC-97CF-4376-B413-A07975A6D603.jpeg

Nice day!

• Like 2

Just received an email from Viking regarding the vaccination card process for our 26 June sailing. Looks like we just download VeriFly ( which I some of us have already done ) to expediate the process at the pier. 

After the few paragraphs below, they give a step by step procedure on how to do this. 

Thank you for booking your upcoming journey with Viking. As we prepare to welcome you on board, we want to advise you of a new component to the Viking Health & Safety Program.

As you know, all guests must be vaccinated prior to boarding our ships. As such, we will need to verify your COVID-19 vaccination status. To expedite the embarkation process, Viking has partnered with Daon Inc., an independent third-party vendor, to digitally pre-verify your vaccination status through their VeriFLY app.

Please note, some airlines are also using the VeriFLY app. The verification process is separate for each travel carrier. If you have completed the VeriFLY process for your airline, you will need to create a VeriFLY pass for Viking as well.

At least seven days prior to your departure, please follow the steps below to complete your vaccination verification through VeriFLY for your Viking voyage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably should have added this part to -

VeriFLY will provide Viking with confirmation of your vaccination status, which will be transferred to your booking record so you can quickly embark on the day of your cruise. While your VeriFLY pass will expedite your Viking embarkation, you may need to present proof of vaccination at other points during your trip. Please ensure you carry your original vaccination documentation while traveling.

If you have any questions regarding the VeriFLY process, please contact VeriFLY Customer Support at (833) 586-1605 or support@myverifly.com. Many questions may be answered at VeriFLY’s online Help Center, viewable here or accessible from within the app. Additional tips have been included below.

Please note, in addition to verifying your vaccination status through VeriFLY as outlined above, ten days prior to your embarkation you will be asked to complete a pre-boarding health survey. You will be notified by a separate email when the health survey becomes available and directed to myvikingjourney.com for completion.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I don't think the agent knows what he is talking about. The cost is $0 when you use Viking Air; there is nothing to refund. It is the same as when Viking offers free air fare. If you don't use it, there is no refund.

Also, Viking will allow you to purchase transfer if you don’t use VikingAir; we’ve done that. In this circumstance, if we cancelled, we would receive a refund.

As for VikingAir, we have turned down free air many times without receiving or expecting any refund.

20 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The Viking Sky AIS shows her departing Skagen a couple of hours ago and bound for Reykjavik, with an ETA of 24th June at 07:00. Her present position shows her Westbound at the northern tip of Denmark.

The Viking Sea AIS shows that she departed Malta for Vallo, Norway. However, she is currently slow steaming NW of Malta.

Rather than Cruisemapper, may I suggest trying MarineTraffic.com, which is favoured by mariners.

Rather than sailing directly to Iceland the Viking Sky has now set course for Portsmouth UK. ETA 19th June.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

Rather than sailing directly to Iceland the Viking Sky has now set course for Portsmouth UK. ETA 19th June.

That's kind of going to Reykjavik from Skagen by the scenic route isn't it?  Surprised it is going south of the UK to get there.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Clay Clayton said:

Picking up crew? Supplies?  

I thought the same - crew. Put some crew members on the Sky that have been through a sailing with the new protocols. Makes sense. If that's the case, I would expect that the Jupiter will inherit crew from the Sky.