Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Great weather in Iceland today.  Isafjordur temp is 40F at noon, wind gusts to 42 mph, 80% chance of snow this afternoon and nighf.  Akureyri temp is 35F at noon, winds to 20 mph, 88% chance of rain then snow.  Reykjavik is 44F with a 98% chance of rain.  Djupivogur is 37 F, wind gusts to 35 mph, 1-3 inches of snow expected.  More the Land of Ice not fire today.

By midnight PDT tonight we’ll be landing at KEF. I’m getting my rain jacket out of my luggage and putting it with my carry-on! (Raining here too today).

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

By midnight PDT tonight we’ll be landing at KEF. I’m getting my rain jacket out of my luggage and putting it with my carry-on! (Raining here too today).

Have a safe journey, and do let us know how things go with testing at the airport!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'm not sure if this is accurate, or even helpful, but I saw or read something which indicates that Europcar and Enterprise may have locations at the port, or at least perhaps rent cars to people there.  And there is a city bus that goes close to the port (but possibly requiring local money or use of an app).  I'm not sure about the taxi situation.  Reykjavik doesn't seem big on taxis.   

We are using Hreyfill Taxi www.hreyfill.is on disembarkation day to go to the Siica Hotel (next to the Blue Lagoon) for the night and probably to the airport the next afternoon. 

Carolyn

On 6/10/2021 at 10:44 AM, SkystheLimit said:

Can you book Viking transfers if not using Viking Air?

Not sure if anyone answered yet but that’s what we did.  $49 per person, each way so a total of $196

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gramfrog said:

Yes, and it works well!  In February 2020 we flew in around 6:30 AM, got on the Blue Lagoon bus from the airport with our luggage, had a 8 or 8:30 AM ticket to enjoy the Blue Lagoon.  The attendant gave us our ticket in exchange for our luggage (cost, around $6 each piece; we had a suitcase and/or a backpack), and off we went, enjoying the  Blue Lagoon and lunch afterwards.  We took a bus back to the Icelandair Reyjavik Natura Hotel around 1PM and checked in.  What a great way to start off a vacation and shake off the jet lag cobwebs!  

btitravel.is has a transfer from Reykjavik (or port) to the airport with an unlimited time stopover at Blue Lagoon and they'll keep your bags in the car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Will you still have to quarantine before getting arrival results, or are you going directly to the ship?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jtwind said:

Will you still have to quarantine before getting arrival results, or are you going directly to the ship?

As the first cruise isn’t until June 26, I think they will be following the Icelandic entry protocol and then touring on their own until they join the ship on June 26. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jtwind said:

There is no Viking ship in sailing in Iceland until June 26.  Think they are going to Iceland on their own or for a long pre cruise.  Under current rules they will quarantine in their hotel until results are back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'm not sure if this is accurate, or even helpful, but I saw or read something which indicates that Europcar and Enterprise may have locations at the port, or at least perhaps rent cars to people there.

image.png.b06edd8d82b7d032b01fd406f86e1716.png

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

As the first cruise isn’t until June 26, I think they will be following the Icelandic entry protocol and then touring on their own until they join the ship on June 26. 

Yes, I see that now.  Thanks.  Is the airport test still scheduled to end on June 30?

6 minutes ago, jtwind said:

Yes, I see that now.  Thanks.  Is the airport test still scheduled to end on June 30?

I believe that the Icelandic authorities have delayed the change in entry protocol (removal of testing on entry for vaccinated passengers) until July 1st but obviously in these uncertain times they may announce a further delay nearer to the end of June. 

Has this affected your plans?

Edited by NeilP57

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

btitravel.is has a transfer from Reykjavik (or port) to the airport with an unlimited time stopover at Blue Lagoon and they'll keep your bags in the car.

Thanks to FoggyEthan, we’re doing just that on our way to the airport as we have a 4:50 pm flight home.

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Have a great trip . Sounds like you will be having Seattle

weather ( although a bit colder I think ) . Bundle up and drive carefully !

20 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

I don’t believe you can do this unless you are traveling under separate booking numbers. You can’t both be in MVJ at the same time on the same booking number.

I was hoping we could do this because our ShoreEx for Malta are scheduled for June 27 and we will be on our land tour in Iceland. We’re planning to study up on what we want using hotel wi-fi, then book with my cell phone.

Thank you for confirming this about MVJ access under the same booking number.

20 hours ago, elegantlotus said:

my thanks to all the suggestions.. right now, I am just hoping that shores excursions will not open up    while we are traveling or in an inaccessible place. 

It is encouraging that for NanciEA the process only took 13 minutes, not 13 hours...!!! 

If we are unable to do this ourselves,  I plan to have a drafted email for my TA... and see what he does... I do have a list of everything we want, including first choice and second choices, I just have to make sure that the excursion is offered and I have to figure out the time frame. Thumbs down to our TA in general... 

TA's have had a difficult time with all the Covid cancellations and re-bookings. With that said, if he is not responsive to your email request to handle your excursions, then thumbs down, yes.

5 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

So excited for you!  Please give us daily reports - I think we are all anxious to start hearing some first hand experiences in Iceland right now!  Safe travels!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cfgrandma said:

We are using Hreyfill Taxi www.hreyfill.is on disembarkation day to go to the Siica Hotel (next to the Blue Lagoon) for the night and probably to the airport the next afternoon. 

Carolyn

Have you booked a taxi ahead of time for this ?  We are going to need a taxi ride from port to the Iceland Car Rental in downtown Rekyjavik.

3 hours ago, MS52 said:

Not sure if anyone answered yet but that’s what we did.  $49 per person, each way so a total of $196

We purchased the transfer and Viking included red stickers in our packet to identify ourselves to shuttle service once we land at Keflavik.  This is the first time we have tried this. 

19 minutes ago, madrone said:

We purchased the transfer and Viking included red stickers in our packet to identify ourselves to shuttle service once we land at Keflavik.  This is the first time we have tried this. 

It is easy-peasy. Viking lollipops will be visible by the exit to border control and they will direct you to the next person you need to talk to and so on until before you know it, you are on a bus and headed to the ship.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

There is no Viking ship in sailing in Iceland until June 26.  Think they are going to Iceland on their own or for a long pre cruise.  Under current rules they will quarantine in their hotel until results are back.

Linda and I are Viking cruisers through and through, but this trip we’re traveling on our own. As I mentioned in another thread, we’ll be in Reykjavik on June 27 when the Sky is in port. We plan to swing by about 10 am, check out the ship, and call to the pax on their balconies, “please, throw us some cinnamon rolls!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, vslparis said:

Have a great trip . Sounds like you will be having Seattle

weather ( although a bit colder I think ) . Bundle up and drive carefully !

Thank you! Looks like the weather there will be like ours was about two months ago.

36 minutes ago, madrone said:

Have you booked a taxi ahead of time for this ?  We are going to need a taxi ride from port to the Iceland Car Rental in downtown Rekyjavik.

Yes, pre-booked already. They have a set price for port to Blue Lagoon. I believe they have metered rates also. I emailed back and forth several times. They were very responsive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Linda and I are Viking cruisers through and through, but this trip we’re traveling on our own. As I mentioned in another thread, we’ll be in Reykjavik on June 27 when the Sky is in port. We plan to swing by about 10 am, check out the ship, and call to the pax on their balconies, “please, throw us some cinnamon rolls!”

Have a great trip.  Don't be shy, tell us all about it.

• Like 3