Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

34 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

I've been to Husavik and the Myvatn area and plan to return to both during our land-based trip later this month. With limited time, I'd choose Myvatn -- the volcanic landscape around the lake is spectacular, plus the thermal area a few miles away is more varied and interesting than Geysir along the Golden Circle. Try to stop by the Vogafjos Farm where you can watch cows being milked while you eat.

https://www.vogafjosfarmresort.is/en/service/restaurant

Thank you, @DaveSJ711!  Appreciate your input.  At this point I'm leaning that direction.  👍👍🙏🙏

• Like 1

5 hours ago, azdrydock said:

Can't say exactly what Viking will accept for US residents, but the airlines will accept a copy of the CDC vaccination card  and if not on the card, the address of the final vaccination station. We used a copy of the appointment slip for the address but I think all you need is to know is the name and city of facility.

As stated by others, you can use the VeriFly App. My experience with VeriFly is it is not worth the effort and at best, it will save you a few seconds at embarkation.

thanks for that info. I was concerned about the vaccine card as it doesn’t have address of vaccination site (no room on card) - ours were done at a local high school by our firemen!

Edited by librarylady19
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

doesn’t have address of vaccination site

Our first dose was at a clinic, but our second was in the parking lot of a fairground.  I don’t think it even had an address.  But, I do have a text telling us how to get to the fairground.  I just have to think that the CDC card will be fine.

For those of us on the July 27th sailing who are wondering why we still can not make shore excursion reservations on day 7 for the Westman Island this is why:

https://www.officeholidays.com/holidays/iceland/commerce-day

This was confirmed by Viking on another site. I wonder what they will end up doing with us for that day?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Our first dose was at a clinic, but our second was in the parking lot of a fairground.  I don’t think it even had an address.  But, I do have a text telling us how to get to the fairground.  I just have to think that the CDC card will be fine.

I think just saying "the fairground in xyz city" would  work. It is a scripted  question with no right answer. If you can't answer or if your answer rouses suspicion you might may have a problem. You have already been verified by your airline and passed through the Iceland entry process so it would take a lot for Viking to challenge  the authenticity of your CDC card

2 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

thanks for that info. I was concerned about the vaccine card as it doesn’t have address of vaccination site (no room on card) - ours were done at a local high school by our firemen!

Is what you have the card or cards that was given to you the day of the injection? Have you tried contacting the Health Dept of the county where the shots were given? We had our shots during a mass injection day and were given very informal cards which we actually had to partially fill in, not at all official. I later learned that I could call the county health dept which mailed me a much more official looking, fully filled out CDC card. That is what we plan to use. 

2 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

We just registered with the Iceland authorities for our arrival this Monday. Piece of cake! Let's hope the testing at the airport goes just as smoothly. 

So soon!  Lucky you.  Let us know how it goes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, madrone said:

Where did you find the 3 weeks out forecast? 

I don’t know what he uses? But my Accuweather app goes out 6 weeks-I haven’t found it particularly accurate that far out but below is what it is currently calling for in Reykjavik 

FFD56B6F-F542-4732-9F68-E5ABD74A6BAC.jpeg

26662061-D43C-4DFD-8E72-614DBA080E43.jpeg

23314FA3-4323-4F55-AD22-997F686CC7B4.jpeg

8509840E-DED4-4A00-9B30-EBC5041AAB95.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I don’t know what he uses? But my Accuweather app goes out 6 weeks-I haven’t found it particularly accurate that far out but below is what it is currently calling for in Reykjavik 

FFD56B6F-F542-4732-9F68-E5ABD74A6BAC.jpeg

26662061-D43C-4DFD-8E72-614DBA080E43.jpeg

23314FA3-4323-4F55-AD22-997F686CC7B4.jpeg

8509840E-DED4-4A00-9B30-EBC5041AAB95.jpeg

Looks pretty good! 🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SantaFe1 said:

Glad we bought the rain pants!

I will be very happy if the weather for July 10-17 is exactly what is shown above. 

But as I said, I haven’t found the forecasts to be that good, this far out. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

I will be very happy if the weather for July 10-17 is exactly what is shown above. 

But as I said, I haven’t found the forecasts to be that good, this far out. 

Baseball and meteorology, the only professions where you can be right a third of the time and still be hailed a hero. 🌦️

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, StuLaurie said:

For those of us on the July 27th sailing who are wondering why we still can not make shore excursion reservations on day 7 for the Westman Island this is why:

https://www.officeholidays.com/holidays/iceland/commerce-day

This was confirmed by Viking on another site. I wonder what they will end up doing with us for that day?

We are on the cruise behind you and our day 3 is your day 7. 

We have been able to make ShoreX bookings as normal for that day. 

Very strange (or not) 

7 hours ago, Seaharvest said:

Is what you have the card or cards that was given to you the day of the injection? Have you tried contacting the Health Dept of the county where the shots were given? We had our shots during a mass injection day and were given very informal cards which we actually had to partially fill in, not at all official. I later learned that I could call the county health dept which mailed me a much more official looking, fully filled out CDC card. That is what we plan to use. 

It is the ‘official” CDC card. I just wanted as much documentation as possible. I did contact the 

health dept by fax and email and still waiting for a response. Calls a no go, they state they are working from home and can’t answer calls😗

21 minutes ago, BQEC said:

Re: Dining Reservations

Anyone know how to change reservation time for The Restaurant?

Thank you.

ps: Potential conflict with return time for excursions. (not yet available on MVJ)

I'd try logging into MVJ and responding to the Chat feature. Otherwise do onboard.

9 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

I'd try logging into MVJ and responding to the Chat feature. Otherwise do onboard.

Hi, Thank you. No "obvious" way to accomplish this on MVJ, so chat and phone seem to be the only way. 

13 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

Some states, though probably a limited number, have a state-wide automated registry of vaccine information for each person who received a vaccine.

38 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

I canceled a Restaurant reservation on MVJ, went to calendar, found reservation, canceled it.  Then I went back into shore excursions section and made excursion reservation.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, philw1776 said:

While waiting for Chef's Table menus to be posted on MVJ I'll share my predictions:

My Chef's Table Prediction:

Saturday: Sardines a la Iceland

Sunday: Reindeer goulash

Monday: Seal stew

Tuesday: Cheek of Fermented Cod

Wednesday: Volcanic braised Sheep

Thursday: Puffin under glass 

Friday: Eider Duck Czech style

You guys are killing me!  But I've never seen Chef's Table menus posted on MVJ, only available when we board the ship. The list of menus posted a while ago on here indicated a lot of lamb - probably because lamb is available pretty much all over the world. I'll pass on the volcanic braised sheep.....

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Just an FYI, this is exactly what I attempted unsuccessfully with the chat rep. I then tried to do so with a phone rep. I repeatedly said to not cancel my dining reservation if there wasn’t a replacement time to move us into. Of course, once they had canceled they discovered they couldn’t find a new slot for us. After 20 minutes I HUACA and the next rep was able to regain our original dining reservations. Of course, part of our issue  could have been our need for a table for three. YMMV. 

1 hour ago, BQEC said:

Re: Dining Reservations

Anyone know how to change reservation time for The Restaurant?

Thank you.

ps: Potential conflict with return time for excursions. (not yet available on MVJ)

Did you get an an

1 hour ago, BQEC said:

Hi, Thank you. No "obvious" way to accomplish this on MVJ, so chat and phone seem to be the only way. 

Did you get it done?  I did it earlier this week by going into calendar, finding day of conflict, clicking the Restaurant reservation I had made, and canceling it.  But I didn't care if I couldn't get exact time back. There are only two of us and we don't have a very specific timeframe for dining in mind.  I was able to get same time back. 

Why can't I ever post without having to edit? Argh.

Just something for the newbies: The Calendar section of MVJ allows you to print a nice summary of your calendar activities - dinner reservations, excursions, etc.  See "Calendar Summary" and "Print" in top right corner of the Calendar section.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1