Hotels close to port in Civitavecchia

MikeNKim

I have read quite a few posts about people asking for hotels near the port and everyone says stay in Rome.   However, I do want to spend the night before the cruise in that area but can’t find any suggestions for hotels 

Has anyone stayed at a hotel close to the port?    Walking distance type thing?

I have read some of the hotels are going downhill but would still like some options 

thank you all

Kim

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot recommend Hotel Traghetto highly enough.  It is right across the street from the free port shuttle, and there is an amazing pizza place next door.  I will be taking the train in from Venice the day before my cruise departs and will be staying here for my 2nd time.  Email the hotel directly (Giuseppe is the owner) and book through him.  If you're only 2 people, you might even get the room with the massive terrace balcony and will get an incredible view of the ships in port.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have booked Hotel Traghetto for 2 nights before our cruise in 2022.

I emailed the hotel directly, and had quick response from Giuseppe, plus better price including breakfast than the big hotel booking sites offered.

It’s location to the cruise port shuttle can’t be beat!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 2:19 PM, lasekeye said:

We have booked Hotel Traghetto for 2 nights before our cruise in 2022.

I emailed the hotel directly, and had quick response from Giuseppe, plus better price including breakfast than the big hotel booking sites offered.

It’s location to the cruise port shuttle can’t be beat!

How much is the cruise port shuttle and what hours does it run?  Is there much to see around the hotel?

6 hours ago, midwestchick said:

Right and I knew that. I am trying to decide if we should stay in Rome or near the port.

Keep in mind that everything I post is based on what existed prior to COVID.  The shuttle bus runs from the small bus terminal/transfer place located at Largo della Pace.  The buses from that location are free and will take you (and luggage) directly to the pier for your ship.  There is also a shuttle bus that leaves from across the street of the train station that will take you to the Largo della Pace, but you do have to pay a small fee (it might be about 2 Euros) for that bus.  There used to be a pause in shuttle operations around lunch time (keep in mind you are in Italy).  These shuttles only matter if you decide to take the train from Rome (or anywhere else) to Civitavecchia.

We have usually suggested that folks arriving a day (or more) early spend their night in Rome.  Even if you arrive the morning prior to your cruise, you can probably get into a Rome hotel by early afternoon and get the better part of the day to enjoy Rome and its many restaurants.  While you could certainly spend a pre cruise night in Civitavecchia (we have done this a few times) it is no Rome!  There are some OK hotels in Civitavecchia and restaurants but I would emphasize it is nothing like spending an evening in Rome,   If you do spend the night in Rome, then we would suggest arranging a private transfer (a taxi is another option) to the port.  Your private transfer or taxi should be able to take you directly to your pier (of the new cruise terminal if your ship is docked at that port location) thus avoiding the hassles with the shuttles.   We can recommend Romecabs.com or Romeinlimo.com as two very reputable companies that can provide transfer service.  

I hope all this detail is helpful.  Also keep in mind that if you take the train between Rome and Civitavecchia you may well arrive at a track that would require you to go down a long stairway, pass under other tracks, and then back up another long stairway.  These stairs are not a problem for folks who are mobile, but can be a real pain if you have luggage!   In the past we have never had access to an elevator for this purpose and there is generally nobody to help you with your luggage.  

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Keep in mind that everything I post is based on what existed prior to COVID.  The shuttle bus runs from the small bus terminal/transfer place located at Largo della Pace.  The buses from that location are free and will take you (and luggage) directly to the pier for your ship.  There is also a shuttle bus that leaves from across the street of the train station that will take you to the Largo della Pace, but you do have to pay a small fee (it might be about 2 Euros) for that bus.  There used to be a pause in shuttle operations around lunch time (keep in mind you are in Italy).  These shuttles only matter if you decide to take the train from Rome (or anywhere else) to Civitavecchia.

We have usually suggested that folks arriving a day (or more) early spend their night in Rome.  Even if you arrive the morning prior to your cruise, you can probably get into a Rome hotel by early afternoon and get the better part of the day to enjoy Rome and its many restaurants.  While you could certainly spend a pre cruise night in Civitavecchia (we have done this a few times) it is no Rome!  There are some OK hotels in Civitavecchia and restaurants but I would emphasize it is nothing like spending an evening in Rome,   If you do spend the night in Rome, then we would suggest arranging a private transfer (a taxi is another option) to the port.  Your private transfer or taxi should be able to take you directly to your pier (of the new cruise terminal if your ship is docked at that port location) thus avoiding the hassles with the shuttles.   We can recommend Romecabs.com or Romeinlimo.com as two very reputable companies that can provide transfer service.  

I hope all this detail is helpful.  Also keep in mind that if you take the train between Rome and Civitavecchia you may well arrive at a track that would require you to go down a long stairway, pass under other tracks, and then back up another long stairway.  These stairs are not a problem for folks who are mobile, but can be a real pain if you have luggage!   In the past we have never had access to an elevator for this purpose and there is generally nobody to help you with your luggage.  

Hank

I appreciate your advice.  I remember your name from CC in the precovid days and your advice has always been good.  We have seen the highlights of Rome and I was thinking of staying at the port only if we flew in one day early. 
We haven’t decided yet, although I would like to see the Trastevere area and the Trevi Fountain since the renovations.  A visit to Piazza Navona would be a welcome repeat.

1 hour ago, midwestchick said:

I appreciate your advice.  I remember your name from CC in the precovid days and your advice has always been good.  We have seen the highlights of Rome and I was thinking of staying at the port only if we flew in one day early. 
We haven’t decided yet, although I would like to see the Trastevere area and the Trevi Fountain since the renovations.  A visit to Piazza Navona would be a welcome repeat.

DW and truly love the Piazza Navona area and the nearby Campo de Fiori neighborhood.   We have spent many hours just relaxing in cafes/restaurants in that part of Rome where the people watching is often our favorite entertainment.  The next time we spend some time in Rome we will prioritize finding a decent hotel room in that part of town.

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

DW and truly love the Piazza Navona area and the nearby Campo de Fiori neighborhood.   We have spent many hours just relaxing in cafes/restaurants in that part of Rome where the people watching is often our favorite entertainment.  The next time we spend some time in Rome we will prioritize finding a decent hotel room in that part of town.

Hank

According to what I’ve been reading there are many. I’m just trying to figure out which one suits our needs best   Not the walkers we once were so I need things to be relatively close.

Just now, midwestchick said:

According to what I’ve been reading there are many. I’m just trying to figure out which one suits our needs best   Not the walkers we once were so I need things to be relatively close.

We tend to prefer to smaller European style hotels to the large chain places preferred by many Americans.  There are some real long-time Rome lovers (like Cruisemom) who have previously recommended specific hotels in that neighborhood and perhaps she will see this thread and chime in with some good advice.   DW and I are pretty adventurous travelers (we almost always are on our own by ourselves) and will often try new hotels (for us) based on recommendations that are current to the time frame we are traveling.  At this point, few have been to Rome (or elsewhere) in a long time because of COVID.  We can assume that many things have changed (including ownership, management,  staff, etc) so I am now looking for recommendations based on current info.

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We tend to prefer to smaller European style hotels to the large chain places preferred by many Americans.  There are some real long-time Rome lovers (like Cruisemom) who have previously recommended specific hotels in that neighborhood and perhaps she will see this thread and chime in with some good advice.   DW and I are pretty adventurous travelers (we almost always are on our own by ourselves) and will often try new hotels (for us) based on recommendations that are current to the time frame we are traveling.  At this point, few have been to Rome (or elsewhere) in a long time because of COVID.  We can assume that many things have changed (including ownership, management,  staff, etc) so I am now looking for recommendations based on current info.

Hank

We are exactly the same. I have never booked a chain hotel overseas. Let’s hope Rome hasn’t changed too much from precovid.

• 10 months later...
On 5/21/2021 at 11:23 AM, PumpkinPatches said:

I cannot recommend Hotel Traghetto highly enough.  It is right across the street from the free port shuttle, and there is an amazing pizza place next door.  I will be taking the train in from Venice the day before my cruise departs and will be staying here for my 2nd time.  Email the hotel directly (Giuseppe is the owner) and book through him.  If you're only 2 people, you might even get the room with the massive terrace balcony and will get an incredible view of the ships in port.

I cannot find the hotel's e-mail address or a web site.  Do you still have that info?

Thanks.

I found it finally!

Edited by Daniel A

On 5/5/2021 at 10:54 AM, euro cruiser said:

The port entrance where you get the free bus to your ship is at Via Prato del Turco 3 so I would start looking as close to there as possible if you're planning to walk from the hotel to the port.

Is this at/near a fire station?  

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0970547,11.788838,3a,90y,218.8h,115.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2Nfqfa8Hu6-H-4z-Z6Su9A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

59 minutes ago, danv3 said:

Is this at/near a fire station?  

Yes and no.  If you spin the view around to the other side of the street you'll see a parking lot with some tents, that's what I was referring you to.

However, recent cruisers have reported that they haven't yet gone back to using that parking lot as the shuttle meeting point.  During Covid it was turned into a mass vaccination station and they developed a different drop off point a little further into the port.  Not far from there, just not exactly there.

On 6/8/2022 at 12:18 PM, Daniel A said:

I cannot find the hotel's e-mail address or a web site.  Do you still have that info?

Thanks.

I found it finally!

I found that hotel online but nowhere did it show rooms or rates.  Can you post your link?

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I found that hotel online but nowhere did it show rooms or rates.  Can you post your link?

You cannot book online, you have to email the manager.  Info@hoteltraghetto.it 

Web page is www.hoteltraghetto.it

Edited by Daniel A
  • Thanks 1

I just booked a hotel in Civitavecchia for next year.  I emailed with them several times to clarify the 2023 promotion they have.  The hotel gets good reviews here on CruiseCritic, and also TripAdvisor.

It's the San Giorgio in Civitavecchia.  Located very close to the port.  The special is called "Super Stay 2023".  

- "Classic" room with queen size bed, and en suite bathroom

- breakfast included

- free wifi

- half price port shuttle direct to ship for 5Euros per person (this is important, because the hotel has the permit to drive INTO the port, and not leave passengers to transfer to the port shuttle).

- restaurant onsite

The above is $80 for one person at today's conversion rate.

They have a shuttle for FCO airport, too.  It's $110 for 1-3 people one way.  If you book for 3+ nights, this shuttle is half price.

There is a nightly hotel tax of $2 for the room.

Viale Garibaldi, 34 - Civitavecchia (Rome) |  +39 0766 5991 |  info@sangiorgiohotel.biz   

Edited by pcur

1 hour ago, pcur said:

I just booked a hotel in Civitavecchia for next year.  I emailed with them several times to clarify the 2023 promotion they have.  The hotel gets good reviews here on CruiseCritic, and also TripAdvisor.

It's the San Giorgio in Civitavecchia.  Located very close to the port.  The special is called "Super Stay 2023".  

- "Classic" room with queen size bed, and en suite bathroom

- breakfast included

- free wifi

- half price port shuttle direct to ship for 5Euros per person (this is important, because the hotel has the permit to drive INTO the port, and not leave passengers to transfer to the port shuttle).

- restaurant onsite

The above is $80 for one person at today's conversion rate.

They have a shuttle for FCO airport, too.  It's $110 for 1-3 people one way.  If you book for 3+ nights, this shuttle is half price.

There is a nightly hotel tax of $2 for the room.

Viale Garibaldi, 34 - Civitavecchia (Rome) |  +39 0766 5991 |  info@sangiorgiohotel.biz   

Have you done a search about this hotel?  They seem to overbook their hotel as a regular practice and then try to send travelers somewhere else less desirable (or cancel them altogether).  Read, for example here:

There have been several more in that vein that I have seen as well. I wouldn't stay in a place that engages in such practices.

Here is another one I was able to locate:

.....and yet another one. Believe me, there have been others too as I still haven't run across the one I specifically recall!

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

@pcur, it seems to me that when I was looking at hotels at the port, I was seeing some posts about Covid cancellations and management being nonresponsive to requests for refunds during Covid.  But I will have to admit that is how I recall it, it is possible I read this about another hotel there and also read some bad things about San Giorgio.  I opted to pass on that one.

We had a booking at Hotel San Giorgio that we had to cancel due to our cruise being canceled in fall 2020.  They were non responsive regarding a refund.  I had to contact my credit card issuer who credited my account in full immediately.

I would stay away from Hotel San Giorgio...

• Like 2

Ahhh, the good ole San Giorgio.  Perhaps, if you get the right room (assuming you get any room) it is one of the best hotels in a city with no really great hotels.  But the San Giorgio is a great example how bad management can quickly ruin a hotel's reputation.  Would we ever trust this hotel to have our room waiting for us?  No!  At least not until the hotel is was sold to somebody else who replaced the senior management. So you book this hotel at your own risk...the risk being whether management will actually hold your room or perhaps they will give it away to a group and send you packing to another less desirable hotel.

As a frequent independent traveler I just have no time (or forgiveness) for bad hotel management.  Why would I gamble on hotel management that has previously screwed folks?  This place is interesting.  If you look through their reviews on Tripadvisor (a sister company of CC) you will find everything from excellent reviews to awful reviews.  It seems to be that if you arrive and get a decent room you will be happy with your choice.  But if you arrive and get a lousy room or are told (we have no room and we are putting you in a different place) than you might be upset.  This is not the kind of drama we seek on our trips.

Hank

• Like 2